Beginner Concerning zoom ring and digital camera.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jack, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi there

    Planning on buying me a new digicam and need some assistance please?

    Well here are my options . Minolta Dimage A2 , Olympus C-8080 with
    telephoto lens
    or Panasonic Lumix dmc-fz20 with wide angle lens.

    So my question is , does a zoom ring on the lens help for easier or better
    focus.

    Its said that its better to get a good 5mp rather than a 8mp (less noise).

    Dslr will work out to expensive including lenses and all.

    But any other suggestions will help.

    Thanks

    Jack.
    Jack, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Jack

    Jim Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > So my question is , does a zoom ring on the lens help for easier or better
    > focus.

    The zoom ring controls the focal length of the lens. You will find that it
    is easier to determine sharp focus at the longer focal lengths. That is the
    only way that the zoom ring helps in focusing.
    Jim
    Jim, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Jack wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > Planning on buying me a new digicam and need some assistance please?
    >
    > Well here are my options . Minolta Dimage A2 , Olympus C-8080 with
    > telephoto lens
    > or Panasonic Lumix dmc-fz20 with wide angle lens.
    >
    > So my question is , does a zoom ring on the lens help for easier or
    > better focus.

    Tried a Minolta A2 earlier in the year - found it tinny and of poor image
    quality.

    Just got an FZ20 and it's really good (easpecially at the price). Not
    interested in it's wide-angle adapter, though. Would prefer a Nikon
    Coolpix 8400 for that (24mm wide).

    I would prefer a mechanical zoom ring for accruate composition, not
    focussing, but I don't think anyone offers that on a point-and-shoot.

    The FZ20 has a focus-aid mode and manual focus control (ring) which works
    very well.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Jack

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:37:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >I would prefer a mechanical zoom ring for accruate composition, not
    >focussing, but I don't think anyone offers that on a point-and-shoot.

    Minotaur 7H/hi? Or are we now calling that a ZLR in THIS group as well?
    :)
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Jack

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:37:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >I would prefer a mechanical zoom ring for accruate composition, not
    >focussing, but I don't think anyone offers that on a point-and-shoot.

    Blasted spell checker....Minolta 7H/hi? Or are we now calling that a ZLR in
    THIS group as well? :)
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Ed Ruf wrote:
    []
    >> I would prefer a mechanical zoom ring for accruate composition, not
    >> focussing, but I don't think anyone offers that on a point-and-shoot.

    > Blasted spell checker....Minolta 7H/hi? Or are we now calling that a
    > ZLR in THIS group as well? :)

    Not a model I am that familar with, I'm afraid. It has a zoom ring, but
    not a focus ring for manual focus.

    I would have thought that fitted the ZLR category, as it has full manual
    control, although it lacks a hot-shoe for flash.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Jack

    dj_nme Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Ed Ruf wrote:
    > []
    >
    >>>I would prefer a mechanical zoom ring for accruate composition, not
    >>>focussing, but I don't think anyone offers that on a point-and-shoot.

    >>Blasted spell checker....Minolta 7H/hi? Or are we now calling that a
    >>ZLR in THIS group as well? :)

    > Not a model I am that familar with, I'm afraid. It has a zoom ring, but
    > not a focus ring for manual focus.
    >
    > I would have thought that fitted the ZLR category, as it has full manual
    > control, although it lacks a hot-shoe for flash.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    The Dimage 7 series use a lens that has both a manual mechanical zoom
    ring and a manual "focus by wire" focus ring.
    It also has a flash hotshoe that is compatible with dynax/maxun flash units.
    The hot-shoe is on the top of the camera, the black thing with the 4
    metal contacts and 3 slots.
    Maybe you believe that it doesn't have a hot-shoe because in many photos
    of the camera there is a "protector" that looks like a plain black
    square stuck in it.
    dj_nme, Oct 27, 2004
  8. dj_nme wrote:
    []
    > The Dimage 7 series use a lens that has both a manual mechanical zoom
    > ring and a manual "focus by wire" focus ring.
    > It also has a flash hotshoe that is compatible with dynax/maxun flash
    > units. The hot-shoe is on the top of the camera, the black thing with
    > the 4 metal contacts and 3 slots.
    > Maybe you believe that it doesn't have a hot-shoe because in many
    > photos of the camera there is a "protector" that looks like a plain
    > black square stuck in it.

    A hot-shoe wasn't obvious from:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/dimage7hi.html

    It looks very chunky - particularly the front-to-back dimension.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 27, 2004