    night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very poor.

    Many thanks

    Rich

    rich, Jan 24, 2004

  2. rich

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The last two articles in this list are about night shooting. If you go to
    the books list you will find a few titles on the subject. Much of what you
    can do at night might be limited by teh particualr camera you own. Some
    digitals do not allow very long shutter times.
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/techs/mmtechs.html

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "rich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
    > using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any

    one

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 25, 2004

  3. rich

    Guest

    rich <> wrote:
    > Hi

    > I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
    > using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any one
    > can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
    > night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very poor.

    That depends. Which camera do you have?

    , Jan 25, 2004
  4. What you can read in a lot of books about photography is that it mainly
    depends on you shooting good pictures than on the camera. Think 30 years
    back what type of cameras exist and a lot of famous pictures where taken
    with those cameras.

    Regarding your digital camera: What type is it and what model? Which
    resolution?

    Martin Wildam, Jan 25, 2004
  5. rich

    rich Guest

    "rich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have started
    > using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that any

    one
    > can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially is
    > night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very

    poor.

    > Many thanks
    >
    > Rich

    The camera is a Toshiba PDR-T20 (2 mega pixel) The resolution I take the
    pictures on is 1600x1200 and there is one more step after that.

    rich, Jan 25, 2004
  6. I would not use the next higher step above 1600x1200 because it is
    interpolated in my opinion.

    The T20 is not shown up at http://www.dpreview.com but I found the T10:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Toshiba/toshiba_pdrt10.asp

    If this looks quite your camera I do not think that there is a lot of
    technique to figure out with this camera because it is a point-and-shoot
    thing.

    For night shots the only thing is to turn the ISO to highest level (should
    be 400 in your case) but this could cause higher noise - depending on the
    camera. The longest exposure time should be one second in your case. If you
    can manually set exposure time you can set it to 1 second for night shots
    but I guess it does all automatically. Fortunately your camera has a tripod
    mount so you can use a tripod. When doing night shots I use the 2 seconds
    self-timer so the camera remains still when taking the picture. Your camera
    also has a 2 seconds self-timer.

    Martin Wildam, Jan 25, 2004
  7. rich

    rich Guest

    "Martin Wildam" <> wrote in message
    > I would not use the next higher step above 1600x1200 because it is
    > interpolated in my opinion.
    >
    > The T20 is not shown up at http://www.dpreview.com but I found the T10:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Toshiba/toshiba_pdrt10.asp
    >
    > If this looks quite your camera I do not think that there is a lot of
    > technique to figure out with this camera because it is a point-and-shoot
    > thing.
    >
    > For night shots the only thing is to turn the ISO to highest level (should
    > be 400 in your case) but this could cause higher noise - depending on the
    > camera. The longest exposure time should be one second in your case. If

    you
    > can manually set exposure time you can set it to 1 second for night shots
    > but I guess it does all automatically. Fortunately your camera has a

    tripod
    > mount so you can use a tripod. When doing night shots I use the 2 seconds
    > self-timer so the camera remains still when taking the picture. Your

    camera
    > also has a 2 seconds self-timer.
    >
    > "rich" <> schrieb im

    Newsbeitrag

    > > "rich" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I have had a digital camera for many years but only recently have

    > started
    > > > using it regular. What I want to know is there a book out there that

    any
    > > one
    > > > can recommend so I can get more out of my camera. One area especially

    is
    > > > night shots (especially when I can not use the flash) as that is very

    > > poor.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks
    > > >
    > > > Rich
    > > >

    > > The camera is a Toshiba PDR-T20 (2 mega pixel) The resolution I take the
    > > pictures on is 1600x1200 and there is one more step after that.

    Yeah your right that its point and shoot and the iso can be turned up to
    400. for more details on it look at

    http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=204

    Unfortunately I found out the otherday when I came to use it, this model
    does not have a tripod socket!

    Rich

    rich, Jan 25, 2004