Before buying the "Original" Star Wars DVDs, read this!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RobMac, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. RobMac

    RobMac Guest

    From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)

    "Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect for
    quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th anniversary of
    the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to be stupid not to
    know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release plans with which to
    celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you that was the case for
    many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to the Ranch for the DVD
    release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that a box set of
    all six films was going to happen eventually, and animation director Rob
    Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already
    been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future"
    release. T-Bone over at Star Wars Universe recently speculated about this
    box set, and we've been quietly checking in with our industry sources on it
    as well. Well, we've confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star
    Wars anniversary DVD box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to
    the films, and there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special
    features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the
    original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more.
    We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original
    theatrical editions of the films will be included or not (though how you
    could call the set "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect
    high-definition versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't
    have ANY other details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider
    whether or not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we
    thought you should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff
    said for now."

    Read the full page here http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

    RobMac, Aug 25, 2006

  2. RobMac

    Andy Upton Guest

    Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
    bloody films ?
    Haven't we had enough of his shit already ??

    Andy Upton, Aug 25, 2006

  3. RobMac

    David Z Guest

    David Z, Aug 25, 2006
  4. RobMac

    TSKO Guest

    "Andy Upton" <> wrote in message
    > Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
    > bloody films ?
    > Haven't we had enough of his shit already ??
    > "David Z" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
    >> Wars is no exception.
    >>
    >> "RobMac" <> wrote in message
    >>> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
    >>>
    >>> "Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect
    >>> for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th
    >>> anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to
    >>> be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release
    >>> plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling
    >>> you that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit
    >>> to the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum
    >>> confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen
    >>> eventually, and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the
    >>> puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda
    >>> to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star
    >>> Wars Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've been
    >>> quietly checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've
    >>> confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD
    >>> box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and
    >>> there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the
    >>> good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD
    >>> release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if
    >>> good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original theatrical editions
    >>> of the films will be included or not (though how you could call the set
    >>> "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect high-definition
    >>> versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other
    >>> details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider whether or
    >>> not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you
    >>> should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for
    >>> now."
    >>>
    >>> Read the full page here
    >>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

    >>> News==----
    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >>> Newsgroups
    >>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    >>> =----

    If you could make millions and millions on your creation...do you think you
    would milk it also?
    Doesnt make it right...but its all about the money.

    And also....we bitch and moan....but by god we still buy whatever he puts
    out (as a vast majority that is)

    TSKO, Aug 25, 2006
  5. RobMac

    Guest Guest

    "David Z" <> wrote in message
    > Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
    > Wars is no exception.

    Obsolete means that they can no longer be used. They can still be used on
    HD-DVD and BR. A SW HD disc is something that you should not expect anytime
    soon.

    Guest, Aug 25, 2006
  6. RobMac wrote:

    > From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
    > <snip because it's already linked>
    > Read the full page here http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

    ....Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying
    the original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see
    it mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set
    either, which it doesn't seem to be?

    (Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
    1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 25, 2006
  7. RobMac

    Anybody Guest

    In article <_VCHg.26454$>, "Andy Upton"
    <> wrote:

    > Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
    > bloody films ?
    > Haven't we had enough of his shit already ??

    If you don't want them, then don't buy them. Surely that's not THAT
    difficult to understand. :-\

    Anybody, Aug 25, 2006
  8. RobMac

    RobMac Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > RobMac wrote:
    >
    >> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
    >> <snip because it's already linked>
    >> Read the full page here
    >> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

    > ...Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying the
    > original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see it
    > mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set either,
    > which it doesn't seem to be?
    >
    > (Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
    > 1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Well, I know that it's not confirmed that the "original" versions will be
    available in this upcoming 6-disc set in 2007, it's at least something to
    consider that might happen in the future.

    This was a warning of another upcoming release - potentially including the
    versions in the 9/12 release (since even the Bits can't confirm otherwise
    until Fox "officially" announces the box's release).

    But, the question I have to ask here is "If someone knows this is the
    laserdisc port, then wouldn't that mean that person already *has* the LD
    port, and if they already have it, why would you want the same exact thing -
    on DVD, especially since it's *NOT* any better than what you've already
    got?!"

    Are you really gonna buy it again?! If so, why complain about Lucas
    re-re-re-re-releasing something (since you seem to buy the same thing in a
    different package anyway)? Isn't that feeding into the reason Lucas does
    this?!

    I have *all* the laserdisc releases (the original CLVs, the CAV Definitive
    Collection box set, the CLV THX discs and the THX AC-3 Special Edition Box
    Set) - I now own only 16x9 HDTVs so any non-anamorphic DVD is normally
    beneath my radar (but this *is* Star Wars we're talking about, so I'm up on
    the news).

    A non-anamorphic Star Wars DVD in 2006 is **unforgivable**, and since I
    already own several copies I will not be contributing to Lucas further until
    it's anamorphic.

    RobMac

    RobMac, Aug 25, 2006
  9. RobMac wrote:

    >>>http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

    >>...Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying the
    >>original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see it
    >>mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set either,
    >>which it doesn't seem to be?
    >>
    >>(Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
    >>1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)

    > Well, I know that it's not confirmed that the "original" versions will be
    > available in this upcoming 6-disc set in 2007, it's at least something to
    > consider that might happen in the future.
    >
    > But, the question I have to ask here is "If someone knows this is the
    > laserdisc port, then wouldn't that mean that person already *has* the LD
    > port, and if they already have it, why would you want the same exact thing -
    > on DVD, especially since it's *NOT* any better than what you've already
    > got?!"

    Well, probably because I've never owned a LD player in my life, and only
    know that the New Original is the '96 LD version,
    A) from hearing the core fans point it out, and
    B) from various pieces of evidence in the "Did George really 'destroy
    the old prints', or not?" debates, and Lucas's "All we had was the
    non-ana LD in our vaults" excuse as Exhibit A for why the French aren't
    getting an anamorphic version either.

    Simply put, LD's don't fit in my DVD player. I can try, but it always
    breaks the drawer, going in.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 26, 2006
  10. "TSKO" <> wrote in message

    > "Andy Upton" <> wrote in message
    >> Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
    >> bloody films ?
    >> Haven't we had enough of his shit already ??
    >> "David Z" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
    >>> Wars is no exception.
    >>>
    >>> "RobMac" <> wrote in message

    > If you could make millions and millions on your creation...do you think
    > you would milk it also?
    > Doesnt make it right...but its all about the money.
    >
    > And also....we bitch and moan....but by god we still buy whatever he puts
    > out (as a vast majority that is)

    I'm not buying the originals coming out in Sep. I've already got the
    definitive collection on LD which is what they used as the master.

    Debbie Proctor

    Deborah A Proctor, Aug 26, 2006
  11. "Guest" <> wrote in message

    > "David Z" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
    >> Wars is no exception.
    >>

    > Obsolete means that they can no longer be used. They can still be used on
    > HD-DVD and BR. A SW HD disc is something that you should not expect
    > anytime soon.

    Why the heck not? Ep. I thru III were filmed in HD.

    Debbie Proctor

    Deborah A Proctor, Aug 26, 2006
  12. RobMac

    >>>...Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying the
    >>>original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see it
    >>>mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set either,
    >>>which it doesn't seem to be?
    >>>
    >>>(Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
    >>>1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)

    >> Well, I know that it's not confirmed that the "original" versions will be
    >> available in this upcoming 6-disc set in 2007, it's at least something to
    >> consider that might happen in the future.
    >>
    >> But, the question I have to ask here is "If someone knows this is the
    >> laserdisc port, then wouldn't that mean that person already *has* the LD
    >> port, and if they already have it, why would you want the same exact
    >> thing - on DVD, especially since it's *NOT* any better than what you've
    >> already got?!"

    > Well, probably because I've never owned a LD player in my life, and only
    > know that the New Original is the '96 LD version,
    > A) from hearing the core fans point it out, and
    > B) from various pieces of evidence in the "Did George really 'destroy the
    > old prints', or not?" debates, and Lucas's "All we had was the non-ana LD
    > in our vaults" excuse as Exhibit A for why the French aren't getting an
    > anamorphic version either.
    >
    > Simply put, LD's don't fit in my DVD player. I can try, but it always
    > breaks the drawer, going in.
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    If you haven't owned a LD player, and don't have the "originals" on VHS, go
    for the DVDs (they won't be much better than VHS anyway).

    If you can find them cheap, go for it, for completion sake, but will you be
    upset if on September 13th (the day after you buy the bare-bones
    non-anamorphic editions) Fox announces a 6-disc Star Wars box set that
    includes the "original" films in anamorphic widescreen along with the
    re-re-re-re-re-retooled Extra Special Limited Extended Super Ultra
    Force-filled Editions???

    RobMac, Aug 26, 2006
  13. RobMac wrote:

    >>Well, probably because I've never owned a LD player in my life, and only
    >>know that the New Original is the '96 LD version,
    >>A) from hearing the core fans point it out, and
    >>B) from various pieces of evidence in the "Did George really 'destroy the
    >>old prints', or not?" debates, and Lucas's "All we had was the non-ana LD
    >>in our vaults" excuse as Exhibit A for why the French aren't getting an
    >>anamorphic version either.
    >>
    >>Simply put, LD's don't fit in my DVD player. I can try, but it always
    >>breaks the drawer, going in.

    > If you haven't owned a LD player, and don't have the "originals" on VHS, go
    > for the DVDs (they won't be much better than VHS anyway).
    >
    > If you can find them cheap, go for it, for completion sake, but will you be
    > upset if on September 13th (the day after you buy the bare-bones
    > non-anamorphic editions) Fox announces a 6-disc Star Wars box set that
    > includes the "original" films in anamorphic widescreen along with the
    > re-re-re-re-re-retooled Extra Special Limited Extended Super Ultra
    > Force-filled Editions???

    (Hey, I was only buying the -one- SW'77 Original to begin with--
    What, like I *want* the '83 version of "Jedi"?)

    Derek Janssen (whaddya, NUTS??)

    Derek Janssen, Aug 26, 2006
  14. RobMac

    Bill Guest

    > If you haven't owned a LD player, and don't have the "originals" on VHS, go
    > for the DVDs (they won't be much better than VHS anyway).

    240 lines of resolution for standard VHS versus 400+ for standard
    DVD...plus pristine Dolby Digital sound versus "Hi-Fi" audio filled with
    head switching noise....suuuurreee, DVD is barely better than VHS.

    Try getting a new pair of eyeglasses. A new set of ears wouldn't hurt
    either. The laserdisc died a well-deserved death, get over it.

    Bill, Aug 26, 2006
  15. RobMac

    RobMac Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:rCNHg.4504$xk3.1361@dukeread07...

    >> If you haven't owned a LD player, and don't have the "originals" on VHS,
    >> go for the DVDs (they won't be much better than VHS anyway).
    >>

    > 240 lines of resolution for standard VHS versus 400+ for standard
    > DVD...plus pristine Dolby Digital sound versus "Hi-Fi" audio filled with
    > head switching noise....suuuurreee, DVD is barely better than VHS.
    >
    > Try getting a new pair of eyeglasses. A new set of ears wouldn't hurt
    > either. The laserdisc died a well-deserved death, get over it.

    A DVD of a shitty transfer is still a shitty DVD.
    From what I understand, the upcoming "original" DVDs will only be in DPL
    anyway (though it may be listed as DD, it'll only be DD2.0 - not 5.1).

    Lines of resolution are irrelevant when transferring the old LD to DVD, in
    this case more lines do *NOT* equal "better quality".

    Yup. Laserdiscs are dead (except the dozens I own and still play), but this
    upcoming DVD will not be better than the LDs I own of the "original" SW
    films - I am over it, I won't be buying them - I was just warning others of
    the crap they're in for.....

    RobMac, Aug 26, 2006
  16. RobMac

    lugnut Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:21:30 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >> But, the question I have to ask here is "If someone knows this is the
    >> laserdisc port, then wouldn't that mean that person already *has* the LD
    >> port, and if they already have it, why would you want the same exact thing -
    >> on DVD, especially since it's *NOT* any better than what you've already
    >> got?!"

    >Well, probably because I've never owned a LD player in my life, and only
    >know that the New Original is the '96 LD version,
    >A) from hearing the core fans point it out, and
    >B) from various pieces of evidence in the "Did George really 'destroy
    >the old prints', or not?" debates, and Lucas's "All we had was the
    >non-ana LD in our vaults" excuse as Exhibit A for why the French aren't
    >getting an anamorphic version either.

    From what I took of it, saying "it's the laserdisc" is a bit
    inaccurate - the DVD will be mastered from the same source material
    used for the laserdisc, but it's not as if they're running a LD player
    through a video capture card and calling it a day, the way some make
    it sound.

    -lugnut

    lugnut, Aug 26, 2006
  17. RobMac

    GMAN Guest

    In article <RWLHg.14373$lv.9234@fed1read12>, "Deborah A Proctor" <> wrote:

    >"Guest" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Z" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
    >>> Wars is no exception.
    >>>

    >> Obsolete means that they can no longer be used. They can still be used on
    >> HD-DVD and BR. A SW HD disc is something that you should not expect
    >> anytime soon.

    >Why the heck not? Ep. I thru III were filmed in HD.
    >
    >Debbie Proctor

    Fox is behind the blu ray camp so expect it on that format.

    GMAN, Aug 26, 2006
  18. RobMac

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:05:19 -0400, "RobMac" <>
    wrote:

    >If you can find them cheap, go for it, for completion sake, but will you be
    >upset if on September 13th (the day after you buy the bare-bones
    >non-anamorphic editions) Fox announces a 6-disc Star Wars box set that
    >includes the "original" films in anamorphic widescreen along with the
    >re-re-re-re-re-retooled Extra Special Limited Extended Super Ultra
    >Force-filled Editions???

    You're missing a "re" in there. Should be a total of 7 re's

    =)
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, Aug 26, 2006
  19. RobMac

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    > From what I took of it, saying "it's the laserdisc" is a bit
    > inaccurate - the DVD will be mastered from the same source material
    > used for the laserdisc, but it's not as if they're running a LD player
    > through a video capture card and calling it a day, the way some make
    > it sound.

    I wouldn't put it past them.

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 26, 2006
  20. RobMac

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Deborah A Proctor" <> wrote in message
    >> Obsolete means that they can no longer be used. They can still be
    >> used on HD-DVD and BR. A SW HD disc is something that you should not
    >> expect anytime soon.

    > Why the heck not? Ep. I thru III were filmed in HD.

    First off, only Episodes II and III were shot on HD video. Episode I was
    shot on 35mm film, as the previous three had been. Next, it doesn't
    really matter whether they were "shot in HD" or not. Any movie shot on
    35mm film can be converted to HD easily enough. 35mm has much more
    resolution than any video format, including HD.

    However, the point the previous poster was getting at is that Lucasfilm
    will not be releasing these movies in any HD format for a number of
    years, until the install base of hardware owners is significantly
    higher. They held off releasing any of the films on DVD until they were
    satisfied that they could have a huge sales bonanza on release. With
    only approximately 20,000 HD DVD or Blu-ray players out there right now,
    those numbers aren't what Lucasfilm wants to see.

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 26, 2006