Beeping during boot, reset to boot correctly

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Richard, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Sometime, I hit the power button, and my computer boot alright. Sometime, I
    hit the power button, my computer gives about five beeps and nothing(black
    screen) on the monitor. I hit the reset button the the computer boots
    normally. This does not happen when I restart my computer, as no beep was
    heart and the computer boot perfectly. It is only happen(sometime) when I
    hit the power button to boot. This started to happen like a week ago.
    First, came the five beeps, then my floppy light stay on forever. I thought
    it was my floppy that gave me the problem, but when I took the floppy out,
    the sames five beeps happened again, and I have to hit reset everytime it
    beeps. Other than that the computer runs great, but I hate the beeps.

    I went to google.com typed in "beep during boot reset to boot" and I found a
    fair result at soyo.com because my mother is made by soyo. Here is the
    troubleshooting link at soyo and the two best results they gave me:

    Soyo troubleshooting link:
    http://www.soyousa.com/support/index.php?answer_id=60

    In the so called : "I need to know what the different beeps codes mean"
    section, I found two fair explainations.

    explaination#1 they said: "It is very likely that the VGA card is not
    properly seated in to the slot. Please push the VGA card down and make sure
    it 'snaps' twice to ensure it is fully seated into the slot.
    if the same problem still exist, please try a different VGA card." I tried
    to push it down as strong as I could.

    explaination#2:
    One beep and nothing come up on the monitor

    ----
    This could be due to the following;

    1. The monitor is not plug in correctly. Please check the monitor cable be
    sure it is connected firmly. If problem still presist, please try another
    monitor.
    2. The Bios setting may not be set correctly. - To correct this problem try
    turn the system on while holding the "Insert" key down. Once the system
    comes up, hit the "Del" key and select "Load Optimised Defaults", hit
    "Enter" then select "Y". next choose save and exit.

    I wanted to try explaination#2 first because I can't find a second video to
    try #1, but the option of load optimised defaults safe? I never done load
    optimised defaults before. Can anyone explain to me what it is?

    Sincerely Thank you all.
    Richard, Aug 14, 2003

  2. > 1. The monitor is not plug in correctly. Please check the monitor cable be
    > sure it is connected firmly. If problem still presist, please try another
    > monitor.
    > 2. The Bios setting may not be set correctly. - To correct this problem

    try
    > turn the system on while holding the "Insert" key down. Once the system
    > comes up, hit the "Del" key and select "Load Optimised Defaults", hit
    > "Enter" then select "Y". next choose save and exit.
    >
    > I wanted to try explaination#2 first because I can't find a second video

    > try #1, but the option of load optimised defaults safe? I never done load
    > optimised defaults before. Can anyone explain to me what it is?

    It is fairly safe, you may have to tweak a setting here or there after you
    do it. All it basically does is change a few of the BIOS settings to what
    the mfg has determined to be the optimal settings. I thinkn I would try the
    video card first.

    Actually, before you do any of that, you might want to open the case, and
    make sure EVERYTHING is seated good. Would also be a good idea to get a can
    of air, pull cards one at a time, spray the socket out, and then plug the
    card back in, and do the same for the memory, and then blow the rest of the
    dust out of the system. I don't know where you live, but here in New
    Mexico, we get a lost of dust in the systems, and I have found that a good
    cleaning once in a while does a world of good.

    Hope that Helps

    Kendal

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care