Been with Mozilla for long. Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by gwtc, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. gwtc

    gwtc Guest

    Re: Been with Mozilla for long. Is 1.7.12 the latest version still?

    Vinayak wrote:
    > Hi
    >

    > I've Been with Mozilla for long.
    >
    > Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
    >
    > I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
    > nightlies are too much for me :-(
    >
    > any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be appreciated
    >

    > TIA
    > &
    > Regards

    Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon,
    and that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end.
    The Moz Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour
    of separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.

    However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others
    who want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council
    and with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a
    new program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where
    Moz 1.8 left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you
    can get more info about it here:

    gwtc, Mar 26, 2006

  2. gwtc

    Vinayak wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>Vinayak wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>

    >>>I've Been with Mozilla for long.
    >>>
    >>>Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
    >>>
    >>>I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
    >>>nightlies are too much for me :-(
    >>>
    >>>any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be
    >>>appreciated
    >>>

    >>>TIA
    >>>&
    >>>Regards

    >>Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon, and
    >>that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end. The Moz
    >>Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour of
    >>separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
    >>
    >>However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others who
    >>want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council and
    >>with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a new
    >>program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where Moz 1.8
    >>left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you can get more
    >>info about it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

    > Dear gwtc
    >
    > *Thanks for this very quick reply*
    >
    > I use Win XPP + Mozilla 1.7.12.
    >
    > I just visited
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/news.html#2006-01-30
    >
    > As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
    > Mozilla user), I have the following question :

    Lets see if I can answer them.

    > - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?

    there have been many that have switched from Moz to SM.

    > - what's your experience ?

    I haven't moved yet. I'm waiting for one of my extensions to make it
    to final release before I make the official move.

    > - *How essential is a change* ? I don't want to move unless that has
    > real advantages over the cost / effort needed to move.

    as I said, Moz is a dead product. SM takes over where Moz left off.
    SM has many bug and security fixes.

    > - How smooth is a change ?

    Smooth as a baby's butt

    > - I have some 5 active profiles, each with it's own e mail address and
    > set of mail (history of approx 2 - 3 years really), totaling approx 1.5 GB.

    Thats nice. First of all, from the mail application, click on File,
    Compact Folders. That might shrink your file sizes. Also, if there's
    really old mail, then archive some of them. I mean, take me for
    example. I created a folder called 2004, and moved all 2004 messages
    into that. Then close Moz, and using my File Manager, I went into the
    mail section of my profile and copied that file out of Moz and put it
    somewhere else. Then re-open Moz and delete that folder.

    > - Given this, how safe is it to MOVE these profiles to Seamonky ?

    Very safe. SM will pick up and use the same profiles as Moz will.
    Just don't use the same profile for Moz and SM. You never know when
    something might cause your computer to crash and explode. ;-)

    > - any other tips / tricks / check list ?

    Just install it, if you want, and try it out. If you don't like it,
    you can always remove it and con't using Moz.

    BTW: its spelt Seamonkey, not Seamonky ;-)

    gwtc, Mar 26, 2006

  3. gwtc

    Vinayak wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>Vinayak wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>

    >>>I've Been with Mozilla for long.
    >>>
    >>>Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
    >>>
    >>>I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
    >>>nightlies are too much for me :-(
    >>>
    >>>any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be
    >>>appreciated
    >>>

    >>>TIA
    >>>&
    >>>Regards

    >>Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon, and
    >>that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end. The Moz
    >>Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour of
    >>separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
    >>
    >>However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others who
    >>want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council and
    >>with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a new
    >>program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where Moz 1.8
    >>left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you can get more
    >>info about it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

    > Dear gwtc
    >
    > *Thanks for this very quick reply*
    >
    > I use Win XPP + Mozilla 1.7.12.
    >
    > I just visited
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/news.html#2006-01-30
    >
    > As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
    > Mozilla user), I have the following question :
    >
    > - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?
    >
    > - what's your experience ?
    >
    > - *How essential is a change* ? I don't want to move unless that has
    > real advantages over the cost / effort needed to move.
    >
    > - How smooth is a change ?
    >
    > - I have some 5 active profiles, each with it's own e mail address and
    > set of mail (history of approx 2 - 3 years really), totaling approx 1.5 GB.
    >
    > - Given this, how safe is it to MOVE these profiles to Seamonky ?
    >
    > - any other tips / tricks / check list ?
    >
    > *TIA* &
    > regards
    >
    > Vinayak

    BTW -- check you time. I think your running a little fast.

    Vinayak, Mar 26, 2006
  5. gwtc

    Vinayak Guest

    Vinayak, Mar 26, 2006
  6. gwtc

    Busman Guest

    Re: Been with Mozilla for long. Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?

    OK. After using Firefox for the past year and being generally pleased with
    it; what are the differences between it and Sea Monkey?
    Andy

    Busman, Mar 26, 2006
  7. gwtc

    Nobody Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:29:09 -0800, gwtc <37>
    wrote:

    >Vinayak wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>

    >> I've Been with Mozilla for long.
    >>
    >> Is 1.7.12 the latest version still ?
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
    >>
    >> I'm a newbie and I feel I can *only* use stable versions (i.e.)
    >> nightlies are too much for me :-(
    >>
    >> any suggestions, pointers to the latest stable version would be appreciated
    >>

    >> TIA
    >> &
    >> Regards

    >Moz 1.7.12 IS the latest version. There is a 1.7.13 on the horizon,
    >and that will be the final. Moz as we know it has come to an end.
    >The Moz Foundation has discontinued making the Suite program in favour
    >of separate programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird.
    >
    >However, there are a few of the Suite developers, testers and others
    >who want to continue with the Suite program, so they formed a council
    >and with a little support from the Foundation, have come out with a
    >new program called Seamonkey. SM 1.0 [final release] picks up where
    >Moz 1.8 left off, and there have been lots of rave reviews, and you
    >can get more info about it here:
    >http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

    As an "average" (non-techie) user, SeaMonkey has been great...
    unistalled Moz 1.7.12 first... SeaMonkey picked up two profiles
    seamlessly and almost perfectly (one had a rendering problem that was
    fixed by renaming the profile blah blah... never did figure out what
    caused it).

    And smooth sailing since.

    Nobody, Mar 26, 2006
  8. gwtc

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Busman wrote:
    > OK. After using Firefox for the past year and being generally pleased
    > with it; what are the differences between it and Sea Monkey?
    > Andy

    SeaMonkey (one word) is a suite of programs in the model of Mozilla
    Suite and Netscape 7x. It includes browser, mail/news, irc chat, and an
    html composer. Firefox is just a browser.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 27, 2006
  9. gwtc

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Vinayak wrote:

    > - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?
    >
    > - what's your experience ?

    I moved from the Mozilla Suite to SeaMonkey when it reached Beta. I had
    zero problems or issues making the change. I love the program.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 27, 2006
  10. gwtc

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Busman wrote:
    >
    >>OK. After using Firefox for the past year and being generally pleased
    >>with it; what are the differences between it and Sea Monkey?
    >>Andy
    >>

    > SeaMonkey (one word) is a suite of programs in the model of Mozilla
    > Suite and Netscape 7x. It includes browser, mail/news, irc chat, and an
    > html composer. Firefox is just a browser.

    and the old Net 4.x

    gwtc, Mar 27, 2006
  11. gwtc

    Tom Allen Guest

    Vinayak wrote:

    > I just visited
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/news.html#2006-01-30
    >
    > As a new bie user with *little or no* I.T. skills (but a dedicated
    > Mozilla user), I have the following question :
    >
    > - Has anyone here moved to Sea monkey since Jan 2006 ?

    If this helps at all, I used to use Mozz until FF and TB were released.
    I enjoy being able to tweak settings with the various extensions out
    there. It looks to me as if fewer extensions are being written for Mozz
    (and for Seamonkey).

    A couple of weeks ago I d/loaded and installed SM to play with it. It's
    not much different than using Mozz, of course. Unfortunately, I've never
    put the time into getting under the hood of the program, so I'm back to
    where I was a couple of years ago. I didn't see any advantage to using
    the suite, and even now I don't see that I'd give up FF and TB.

    That said, you shouldn't have any problem. SM installed perfectly and
    picked up the settings from my Mozz 1.7 installation. Piece of cake!

    Tom Allen, Mar 27, 2006