Been doing some DVD media tests

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.

    All error figures are the averages.

    Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    PI 5.75
    PIF 0.13

    Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    PI 7.07 11.43
    PIF 0.05 0.03

    Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    PI 343.20
    PIF 0.37

    Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    PI 976.1
    PIF 107.7

    Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00

    I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    the time but many are cheaper now.

    Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.

    The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.

    In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    GraB, Jul 7, 2005

  2. GraB

    thing Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    > optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >
    > All error figures are the averages.
    >

    > Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    > PI 5.75
    > PIF 0.13
    >
    > Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    > PI 7.07 11.43
    > PIF 0.05 0.03
    >
    > Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    > PI 343.20
    > PIF 0.37
    >
    > Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    > PI 976.1
    > PIF 107.7
    >
    > Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    > PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    > PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >

    > I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    > Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    > still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    > the time but many are cheaper now.
    >
    > Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    > Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >
    > The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    > DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >
    > In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    > and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    DSE do Mits, I just bought some Imation off them though...$10 for 5 x
    dvd+r with cases and $15 for 5 x dvd+rw with cases....the mits were the
    same price so I will probably try those next...

    Got any numbers for those?

    My Sony might be a re-badged lite-on (800UL) if so I might try and see
    how the Imation do, on the kprobe2 I want the dvd+r disks to last...I
    guess on really important archives I can test before I store....

    Is there any advantage in using dvd-rw instead of dvd+rw btw?

    Tried the DSE own brand?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 7, 2005

  3. GraB

    thing Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    > optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >
    > All error figures are the averages.
    >

    > Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    > PI 5.75
    > PIF 0.13
    >
    > Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    > PI 7.07 11.43
    > PIF 0.05 0.03
    >
    > Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    > PI 343.20
    > PIF 0.37
    >
    > Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    > PI 976.1
    > PIF 107.7
    >
    > Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    > PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    > PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >

    > I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    > Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    > still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    > the time but many are cheaper now.
    >
    > Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    > Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >
    > The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    > DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >
    > In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    > and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    Maybe run dvd identifier over the excel to see if they are re-badged
    from different sources.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwdvd.html

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 7, 2005
  4. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:50:34 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.

    I just downloaded KProbe and got up the information on my Verbatim DVD+R Inkjet
    printable 8x discs.

    Disc Type DVD+R
    Book Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
    Media ID MCC003
    Protection System None
    Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Capacity 4.38 GB
    Free Size 4.38 GB
    Free Blocks 2295104
    Number of Layers 1
    Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density 0.74 um/track
    Maximum Read Speed 4.8x
    Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
    Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
    Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
    Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
    Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV

    Now I always wondered about the capacity when burning discs as i've never been
    able to get 4.7gb of data on there. This program reports the disc as being
    4.38GB. What's the story there?

    Craig Shore, Jul 7, 2005
  5. GraB

    Mark C Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > Now I always wondered about the capacity when burning discs as
    > i've never been able to get 4.7gb of data on there. This
    > program reports the disc as being 4.38GB. What's the story
    > there?

    CDs are ~703MiB, or 703 x 2^30 bytes.
    DVDs are 4.7MB, or 4.7 x 10^9

    i.e. a MB for a CD is 1048576 bytes, but for a DVD a GB is
    1,000,000,000 bytes.
    That's just the way it is.

    See:
    http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm

    Mark

    Mark C, Jul 7, 2005
  6. GraB

    Andrew Guest

    Same story with hard drives... have you ever got 80 gig of data onto an
    80 gig drive?

    Andrew, Jul 7, 2005
  7. GraB

    Curly Guest

    Curly, Jul 7, 2005
  8. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    > optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >
    > All error figures are the averages.
    >

    > Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    > PI 5.75
    > PIF 0.13
    >
    > Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    > PI 7.07 11.43
    > PIF 0.05 0.03
    >
    > Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    > PI 343.20
    > PIF 0.37
    >
    > Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    > PI 976.1
    > PIF 107.7
    >
    > Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    > PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    > PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >

    > I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    > Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    > still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    > the time but many are cheaper now.
    >
    > Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    > Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >
    > The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    > DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >
    > In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    > and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?

    I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.

    Rob J, Jul 7, 2005
  9. GraB

    thing Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:50:34 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >

    >>Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >>optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.

    > I just downloaded KProbe and got up the information on my Verbatim DVD+R Inkjet
    > printable 8x discs.
    >
    > Disc Type DVD+R
    > Book Type DVD+R
    > Manufacturer Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
    > Media ID MCC003
    > Protection System None
    > Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    > Capacity 4.38 GB
    > Free Size 4.38 GB
    > Free Blocks 2295104
    > Number of Layers 1
    > Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
    > Track Density 0.74 um/track
    > Maximum Read Speed 4.8x
    > Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
    > Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
    > Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
    > Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
    > Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
    >

    > Now I always wondered about the capacity when burning discs as i've never been
    > able to get 4.7gb of data on there. This program reports the disc as being
    > 4.38GB. What's the story there?

    low failure rate on these?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 7, 2005
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:26:45 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >> optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>
    >> All error figures are the averages.
    >>

    >> Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >> PI 5.75
    >> PIF 0.13
    >>
    >> Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >> PI 7.07 11.43
    >> PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>
    >> Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >> PI 343.20
    >> PIF 0.37
    >>
    >> Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >> PI 976.1
    >> PIF 107.7
    >>
    >> Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >> PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >> PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >>

    >> I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    >> Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    >> still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    >> the time but many are cheaper now.
    >>
    >> Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    >> Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >>
    >> The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    >> DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >>
    >> In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    >> and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    >Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?
    >
    >I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.

    One came with my drive :)

    GraB, Jul 7, 2005
  11. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:22:59 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >> optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>
    >> All error figures are the averages.
    >>

    >> Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >> PI 5.75
    >> PIF 0.13
    >>
    >> Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >> PI 7.07 11.43
    >> PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>
    >> Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >> PI 343.20
    >> PIF 0.37
    >>
    >> Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >> PI 976.1
    >> PIF 107.7
    >>
    >> Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >> PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >> PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >>

    >> I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    >> Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    >> still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    >> the time but many are cheaper now.
    >>
    >> Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    >> Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >>
    >> The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    >> DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >>
    >> In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    >> and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    >DSE do Mits, I just bought some Imation off them though...$10 for 5 x
    >dvd+r with cases and $15 for 5 x dvd+rw with cases....the mits were the
    >same price so I will probably try those next...
    >
    >Got any numbers for those?
    >
    >My Sony might be a re-badged lite-on (800UL) if so I might try and see
    >how the Imation do, on the kprobe2 I want the dvd+r disks to last...I
    >guess on really important archives I can test before I store....
    >
    >Is there any advantage in using dvd-rw instead of dvd+rw btw?
    >
    >Tried the DSE own brand?

    No, I have only tested the brands that I have had.

    GraB, Jul 7, 2005
  12. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:30:53 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >> optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>
    >> All error figures are the averages.
    >>

    >> Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >> PI 5.75
    >> PIF 0.13
    >>
    >> Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >> PI 7.07 11.43
    >> PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>
    >> Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >> PI 343.20
    >> PIF 0.37
    >>
    >> Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >> PI 976.1
    >> PIF 107.7
    >>
    >> Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >> PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >> PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00

    Correction: I should have had a closer look at the ID of these Excel
    +R discs. The good ones turn out to be OptodiscOR4, not OptodiscR16.
    The packaging, spindles of 25, were the same for both. I wish you can
    tell somehow before you buy them.

    GraB, Jul 7, 2005
  13. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:29:02 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:50:34 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >>>optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.

    >> I just downloaded KProbe and got up the information on my Verbatim DVD+R Inkjet
    >> printable 8x discs.
    >>
    >> Disc Type DVD+R
    >> Book Type DVD+R
    >> Manufacturer Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
    >> Media ID MCC003
    >> Protection System None
    >> Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    >> Capacity 4.38 GB
    >> Free Size 4.38 GB
    >> Free Blocks 2295104
    >> Number of Layers 1
    >> Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
    >> Track Density 0.74 um/track
    >> Maximum Read Speed 4.8x
    >> Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
    >> Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
    >> Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
    >> Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
    >> Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
    >>

    >> Now I always wondered about the capacity when burning discs as i've never been
    >> able to get 4.7gb of data on there. This program reports the disc as being
    >> 4.38GB. What's the story there?
    >>

    >low failure rate on these?

    Haven't had any dead ones.

    That program shows the following on one disc (I ran it twice to see if that
    single big PIF spike would go away).

    Date : 7/07/2005 10:49:54 p.m.
    Model : 1-1-0-0 G:LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1213S TS0D
    Disc : DVD+R , MCC003 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
    Speed : Max
    ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
    Scanned range : 0 - 2295093
    Sampling count : 95274
    Errors : 0
    PI Max : 850
    PI Average : 263.00
    PI Total : 4405004
    PIF Max : 139
    PIF Average : 6.85
    PIF Total : 114578

    Date : 7/07/2005 11:13:42 p.m.
    Model : 1-1-0-0 G:LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1213S TS0D
    Disc : DVD+R , MCC003 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
    Speed : Max
    ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
    Scanned range : 0 - 2295105
    Sampling count : 91350
    Errors : 0
    PI Max : 747
    PI Average : 162.30
    PI Total : 2620445
    PIF Max : 130
    PIF Average : 2.74
    PIF Total : 44198

    Craig Shore, Jul 7, 2005
  14. GraB

    Nova Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >>optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>
    >>All error figures are the averages.
    >>

    >>Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >>PI 5.75
    >>PIF 0.13
    >>
    >>Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >>PI 7.07 11.43
    >>PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>
    >>Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >>PI 343.20
    >>PIF 0.37
    >>
    >>Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >>PI 976.1
    >>PIF 107.7
    >>
    >>Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >>PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >>PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >>

    >>I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    >>Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    >>still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    >>the time but many are cheaper now.
    >>
    >>Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    >>Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >>
    >>The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    >>DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >>
    >>In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    >>and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    > Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?
    >
    > I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.

    I posted this link a while back
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

    contains a list of id's for discs, many taiyo yuden discs under
    different names, just look for the tyg01's

    Nova, Jul 7, 2005
  15. GraB

    thing Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >>> optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>>
    >>> All error figures are the averages.
    >>>

    >>> Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >>> PI 5.75
    >>> PIF 0.13
    >>>
    >>> Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >>> PI 7.07 11.43
    >>> PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>>
    >>> Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >>> PI 343.20
    >>> PIF 0.37
    >>>
    >>> Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >>> PI 976.1
    >>> PIF 107.7
    >>>
    >>> Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >>> PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >>> PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >>>

    >>> I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    >>> Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    >>> still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    >>> the time but many are cheaper now.
    >>>
    >>> Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    >>> Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >>>
    >>> The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    >>> DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >>>
    >>> In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    >>> and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    >> Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?
    >>
    >> I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.
    >>

    > I posted this link a while back
    > http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431
    >
    > contains a list of id's for discs, many taiyo yuden discs under
    > different names, just look for the tyg01's

    Shows what a swindle spending more to buy a so called "good brand"
    really is..........

    Looking at some brands you cannot even guarantee that you will get the
    same maker every time.......

    Bugger....while I have some backups I dont really care that much about
    beyond a year.....I have some I want to last 15~20 years.....

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005
  16. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:26:45 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >> optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>
    >> All error figures are the averages.
    >>

    >> Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >> PI 5.75
    >> PIF 0.13
    >>
    >> Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >> PI 7.07 11.43
    >> PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>
    >> Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >> PI 343.20
    >> PIF 0.37
    >>
    >> Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >> PI 976.1
    >> PIF 107.7
    >>
    >> Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >> PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >> PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >>

    >> I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    >> Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    >> still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    >> the time but many are cheaper now.
    >>
    >> Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    >> Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >>
    >> The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    >> DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >>
    >> In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    >> and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    >Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?
    >
    >I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.

    Mitsui Gold, in the US they make 300 Year archival CD's

    http://www.cloud.co.nz/mitsui.htm

    Tony, Jul 8, 2005
  17. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:36:45 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >Rob J wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>>Using KProbe2 2.4.3 and LiteOn SOHW-832S with latest CodeGuys quality
    >>>optimised firmware, CG5G, all media burnt at 2.4x.
    >>>
    >>>All error figures are the averages.
    >>>

    >>>Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    >>>PI 5.75
    >>>PIF 0.13
    >>>
    >>>Emtec (DaxonAZ1) +R 4x (2 samples)
    >>>PI 7.07 11.43
    >>>PIF 0.05 0.03
    >>>
    >>>Laser +R (ISO1001 Info Smart Tech) 4x
    >>>PI 343.20
    >>>PIF 0.37
    >>>
    >>>Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    >>>PI 976.1
    >>>PIF 107.7
    >>>
    >>>Excel +R (OptodiscR16) 4x (4 samples)
    >>>PI 559.8 596.4 0.55 0.92
    >>>PIF 3.51 4.03 0.01 0.00
    >>>

    >>>I was impressed with the Emtec DVD+Rs which came close to the Taiyo
    >>>Yuden. I bought those from Harvey Norman, my first DVD blanks. They
    >>>still sell them at the same price, $17.95 for spindle of 10, cheap at
    >>>the time but many are cheaper now.
    >>>
    >>>Big variation with the Excel DVD+R discs, must be different batches.
    >>>Two were excellent, the other two being quite mediocre.
    >>>
    >>>The Laser DVD+R was one that came with a computer mag. The Laser
    >>>DVD-R, made by SKC was easily the worst.
    >>>
    >>>In online forums people recommend Mitsubishi/Verbatim, Fuji, Ritek,
    >>>and Taiyo Yuden. Who in New Zealand stock the latter three?

    >> Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?
    >>
    >> I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.
    >>

    >I posted this link a while back
    >http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431
    >
    >contains a list of id's for discs, many taiyo yuden discs under
    >different names, just look for the tyg01's

    But Mitsui US also make 300 year archival CD's

    http://www.cloud.co.nz/mitsui.htm

    Use by Pro's

    Tony, Jul 8, 2005
  18. GraB

    Nova Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Where can you buy anything by Taiyo Yuden?
    >>>
    >>> I want some nice gold archival quality CDs.
    >>>

    >> I posted this link a while back
    >> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431
    >>
    >> contains a list of id's for discs, many taiyo yuden discs under
    >> different names, just look for the tyg01's

    > Shows what a swindle spending more to buy a so called "good brand"
    > really is..........
    >
    > Looking at some brands you cannot even guarantee that you will get the
    > same maker every time.......
    >
    > Bugger....while I have some backups I dont really care that much about
    > beyond a year.....I have some I want to last 15~20 years.....
    >
    > :/
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    heh yeah, i also like how the cheap nasty brands like laser have put
    fake taiyo yuden codes on some of their discs hehe. I guess a bit of
    common sense will tell anyone its too good to be true heh.

    Nova, Jul 8, 2005
  19. GraB

    thing Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> Nova wrote:

    >>> I posted this link a while back
    >>> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431
    >>>
    >>> contains a list of id's for discs, many taiyo yuden discs under
    >>> different names, just look for the tyg01's

    >> Shows what a swindle spending more to buy a so called "good brand"
    >> really is..........
    >>
    >> Looking at some brands you cannot even guarantee that you will get the
    >> same maker every time.......
    >>
    >> Bugger....while I have some backups I dont really care that much about
    >> beyond a year.....I have some I want to last 15~20 years.....
    >>
    >> :/
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > heh yeah, i also like how the cheap nasty brands like laser have put
    > fake taiyo yuden codes on some of their discs hehe. I guess a bit of
    > common sense will tell anyone its too good to be true heh.

    Yeah well, my conclusion was avoid Laser........

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >Now I always wondered about the capacity when burning discs as i've never been
    >able to get 4.7gb of data on there. This program reports the disc as being
    >4.38GB. What's the story there?

    The most I've reliably been able to get on a DVD-R is 4488MiB, which is
    almost exactly 4.706GB or 4.382GiB, take your pick.

    For more info, see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 11, 2005