    mcp6453 Guest

    My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
    courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

    mcp6453, Oct 24, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    A Dude Guest

    Have him build a computer, online courses are not worth the money.

    A Dude, Oct 25, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
    > courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

    It's a hands on business. ie you cant learn how to become a surgeon
    online you have to actually physically do it and to get the experience.

    Plato, Oct 25, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Joe Guest

    Discourage him and try to get him to go into a higher paying field, I think
    most McDonalds are hiring.

    Joe

    Joe, Oct 26, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Volund Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
    > courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

    Look into doing CompTIA A+ course at a school or other establishment.
    Info can be found at http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx

    HTH

    Volund, Oct 26, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    Justin Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in

    > Discourage him and try to get him to go into a higher paying field, I
    > think most McDonalds are hiring.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    >> My son wants to become a computer tech. Are there any credible online
    >> courses that could provide him with a good introduction to the field?

    There's a 1000 page (a quick read--most of the pages are
    pictures/charts/large font sizes) A+ Certification book by Michael Myers
    that covers all aspects of hardware/software. It's a study guide for
    the A+ PC Technician Certification exam. I picked up the '02 edition on
    eBay for $15. Even if he doesn't take an A+ Cert. class, this book
    would be great to use while he starts tearing down and rebuilding PC's.
    Like a PC Tech's Bible. It has a lot of practical stuff to
    repair/maintain/improve PC's.

    Justin, Oct 27, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Matt Pascoe Guest

    If he knows nothing about a computer how is he going to build one.

    BIOS
    IDE master/slave
    motherboard types
    RAM types
    PSU power ratings
    AGP
    PCI
    Onboard FX
    Formatting/partitioning HD's
    preping new HD's
    cable 1 - the red one
    floppy cable twist
    CPU inserting
    Heatsink ratings

    Sounds simple to us, but he needs to know the basics first and if he doesnt
    then hes probably very daunted.

    Try book / the internet and of course courses.

    Matt Pascoe, Oct 27, 2004