Because we’re maybe nine months away.........

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=19358

    MURDER ONE Comes To DVD!!

    Herc’s Super-Exciting Season-Box Vault!!

    I am – Hercules!!

    Because we’re maybe nine months away from when the studios start
    issuing their catalogs in the vastly superior HD-DVD format (with
    rival HD format Blu-Ray following close behind), I’m not buying movies
    on DVD these days.

    But TV shows are a different matter. I’m nervous about how long we’re
    going to have to wait for classic TV skeins to find their way onto
    HD-DVD, so I am still ordering season box sets. (For the record, yes,
    even the oldest TV show shot on film can, at a studio’s whim, be
    issued in gorgeous HD. Witness the old episodes of “Charlie’s Angels,”
    “Wiseguy” and “Square Pegs” being satcast in glorious HD on HDNet.)

    I’ve just purchased the “Murder One” season-one DVD box set and I
    encourage anyone who shares my taste in filmed entertainment to do the
    same. (Mostly because I want the studio to have reason to issue the
    series on HD-DVD at some point in the not-too-far future.)

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Allan

    Omarichu Guest

    =?utf-8?B?UmU6IEJlY2F1c2Ugd2XigJlyZSBtYXliZSBuaW5lIG1vbnRocyBhd2F5Li4uLi4uLi4u?=

    >Because we’re maybe nine months away from when the studios start
    >issuing their catalogs in the vastly superior HD-DVD format (with
    >rival HD format Blu-Ray following close behind), I’m not buying movies
    >on DVD these days.

    What a fucking moron.

    Omarichu, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 08 Feb 2005 02:57:37 GMT, (Omarichu) wrote:

    >>Because we’re maybe nine months away from when the studios start
    >>issuing their catalogs in the vastly superior HD-DVD format (with
    >>rival HD format Blu-Ray following close behind), I’m not buying movies
    >>on DVD these days.

    >What a fucking moron.

    Yeah... crazy waiting 9 months so he doesn't have to buy things twice!
    Moron!!!

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Re: Because =?iso-8859-1?Q?we=92re?= maybe nine monthsaway.........

    Allan wrote on [Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:34:44 -0500]:
    > On 08 Feb 2005 02:57:37 GMT, (Omarichu) wrote:
    >
    >>>Because we’re maybe nine months away from when the studios start
    >>>issuing their catalogs in the vastly superior HD-DVD format (with
    >>>rival HD format Blu-Ray following close behind), I’m not buying movies
    >>>on DVD these days.

    >>What a fucking moron.

    > Yeah... crazy waiting 9 months so he doesn't have to buy things twice!
    > Moron!!!

    Yeah, cut the attribution so it doesn't look like you're trying to
    defend your moronic arse.

    Justin, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    Allan wrote:
    > Yeah... crazy waiting 9 months so he doesn't have to buy things twice!

    Nobody said he - or anyone for that matter has to buy HD-DVD or
    Bluray or whatever the flavor of the moment is for HD home video that
    is being hyped up.

    Trust me, standard def DVD is going to be around for a long time.
    Its hard enough just trying to explain to Joe Sixpack who is clinging
    onto their VCRs with a firm grasp why DVD is better. You really think
    they are going to just embrase HD home video when you can't get some
    of them to budge at DVD?

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Who still runs into people who think that DVD is a conspiracy.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:16:57 -0600, "Brian The Demolition Man Little"
    <> wrote:

    >Allan wrote:
    >> Yeah... crazy waiting 9 months so he doesn't have to buy things twice!

    >Nobody said he - or anyone for that matter has to buy HD-DVD or
    >Bluray or whatever the flavor of the moment is for HD home video that
    >is being hyped up.
    >
    >Trust me, standard def DVD is going to be around for a long time.
    >Its hard enough just trying to explain to Joe Sixpack who is clinging
    >onto their VCRs with a firm grasp why DVD is better. You really think
    >they are going to just embrase HD home video when you can't get some
    >of them to budge at DVD?

    It was "Joe six pack" that made DVD the success that it is.... and it
    will be "Joe Six pack" that will make HD the success that it will be.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Allan

    Nick Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    true but not any time soon I would imagine. The fact that you have to buy
    new tv's is going to put many people off for a long time I would imagine.

    Nick, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Allan

    WinField Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    Allan wrote:
    {snip}
    > It was "Joe six pack" that made DVD the success that it is.... and it
    > will be "Joe Six pack" that will make HD the success that it will be.

    HD success is still dormant and seedy. It's fun to speculate on the
    future and "Joe Six-Pack" will indeed decide how much to spend/wrestle
    with the hairball that is HDTV/dvd DVI-HDMI Monster ripoff cables
    surround sound Whoflungdung receiver(s).

    FCC mandates have tilled the soil. We'll see what the farmers' market
    does with these over-priced, over-hyped vegetables.

    Within my circle of acquaintances, only one couch-potato (retired
    military dude) has purchased HDTV. This weekend, HDTV is going nowhere
    really, really fast ...

    Winfield =)

    WinField, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Allan

    Steve K. Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > Allan wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah... crazy waiting 9 months so he doesn't have to buy things twice!

    > Nobody said he - or anyone for that matter has to buy HD-DVD or
    > Bluray or whatever the flavor of the moment is for HD home video that
    > is being hyped up.
    >
    > Trust me, standard def DVD is going to be around for a long time.
    > Its hard enough just trying to explain to Joe Sixpack who is clinging
    > onto their VCRs with a firm grasp why DVD is better. You really think
    > they are going to just embrase HD home video when you can't get some
    > of them to budge at DVD?
    >
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little
    > Who still runs into people who think that DVD is a conspiracy.

    Other than maybe a handful of my favorite films (less than 10), I do not
    plan on upgrading any of my DVD collection to HD. HD won't make Animal
    House any funnier. I think the big difference between VHS and DVD was a
    huge improvement of quality. Also random access, extras (commentaries),
    relatively low price (of both player and media), durability, complete
    full uncut films (widescreen and anamorphic transfers), and portability
    (playable in computers).

    What will HD-DVD/BlueRay offer? Higher quality (for more money). Is
    there anything else over DVD? The quality will be great, but like I
    said, other than a handful of films, I can't see that I will need HD
    versions of every movie I already own. Hopefully, the new format will
    drive the price of current DVDs down further. ;-)

    HD is great over broadcast for live events (sports, concerts, etc). TV
    and Movies look great, but live events is where HD shines. That's the
    "killer app" for High Definiition. News footage would benefit a great
    deal with HD, but sadly it will probably be one of the very last to upgrade.

    Steve K., Feb 12, 2005
  10. Allan

    Baked Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:16:23 -0000, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    >true but not any time soon I would imagine. The fact that you have to buy
    >new tv's is going to put many people off for a long time I would imagine.

    Bingo.

    Baked, Feb 13, 2005
  11. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    In article <>,
    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote:

    > Nobody said he - or anyone for that matter has to buy HD-DVD or
    > Bluray or whatever the flavor of the moment is for HD home video that
    > is being hyped up.
    >
    > Trust me, standard def DVD is going to be around for a long time.
    > Its hard enough just trying to explain to Joe Sixpack who is clinging
    > onto their VCRs with a firm grasp why DVD is better. You really think
    > they are going to just embrase HD home video when you can't get some
    > of them to budge at DVD?
    >
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little
    > Who still runs into people who think that DVD is a conspiracy.

    A friend of mine who got hired at our local Best Buy a couple months ago
    has been telling me stories of some of the few VHS devotees who dare
    enter a digital playground like Best Buy and have the audacity to
    complain about Best Buy no longer selling "movies on VCR"(as they like
    to say...). He said he gets a handful of them just about every day, most
    of them being Joe Sixpacks, senior folks and clueless middle aged single
    women. But he said sometimes he also gets young people in their 20s who
    are just completely out of touch with reality. He said when he tries to
    explain to them that VHS is going the way of Betamax and that it's time
    to buy a DVD player, some of them will just give him a blank stare as if
    they know deep down that they're clueless losers several years behind
    the times, but refuse to actually admit it to themselves. And sad thing,
    as long as the major studios keep putting out movies on VHS, these
    technophobes will NEVER buy a DVD player.

    And just like there are people still clinging to VHS now and keeping it
    around, there will be people clinging to DVD 10 years from now and thus
    keeping it around too. History always repeats itself. Yes, soon enough
    the movie studios will completely abandon VHS and that will be the end
    of it and yes, one day the same thing will happen to DVD. But Allan is
    just as clueless as those VHS devotees if he truly believes HD video is
    going to replace regular DVD video in just 3 years...

    Black Locust, Feb 13, 2005
  12. Allan

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    WinField wrote:

    > FCC mandates have tilled the soil. We'll see what the farmers' market
    > does with these over-priced, over-hyped vegetables.
    >
    > Within my circle of acquaintances, only one couch-potato (retired
    > military dude) has purchased HDTV. This weekend, HDTV is going nowhere
    > really, really fast ...
    >
    > Winfield =)

    You may want to ask more people if they have a HD TV. In the week
    before the Superbowl, Comcast announced that they had passed
    installation of one million HD set top boxes, 800,000 of those in 2004
    alone. Given that not all Comcast systems are not carrying HD and that a
    number of subscribers are probably getting HD over the air, that is an
    fairly impressive number. And a fast growth rate. The number of HD
    subscribers for DirectTV was listed at 500,000 a few months back. Given
    market share for these two providers, the estimates that I have seen is
    somewhere between 6 to 10 million HD TVs households out there. Maybe
    double that by the end of 2005?

    Will HD-DVD or Blu-Ray take over the market as fast as DVD? Probably
    not. But one or the other or both formats be widely available at the
    Best Buy type chains in 2-3 years? Yes.

    I should add the Superbowl looked damn good in HD. And the HD
    commercials were not bad either. Once you go HD (provided you hook up
    the TV correctly to actually get HD signals), you want all the channels
    to be HD.

    Alan F

    Alan Figgatt, Feb 13, 2005
  13. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Alan Figgatt wrote on [Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:02:18 -0500]:

    > I should add the Superbowl looked damn good in HD. And the HD
    > commercials were not bad either. Once you go HD (provided you hook up
    > the TV correctly to actually get HD signals), you want all the channels
    > to be HD.

    That excuse for a football game couldn't look good on any TV

    Justin, Feb 13, 2005
  14. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:17:37 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    > But Allan is
    >just as clueless as those VHS devotees if he truly believes HD video is
    >going to replace regular DVD video in just 3 years...

    HD will outsell regular DVD in three years... maybe less. Hang around
    and we will see who is "clueless".

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 13, 2005
  15. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:02:18 -0500, Alan Figgatt
    <> wrote:

    > I should add the Superbowl looked damn good in HD. And the HD
    >commercials were not bad either. Once you go HD (provided you hook up
    >the TV correctly to actually get HD signals), you want all the channels
    >to be HD.

    And once you have HDTV you will want your DVD in HD as well.

    Faced with Batman Begins on Regular DVD or HD.. folks that have HDTV
    now will certainly want the higher quality version.

    In less than 3 years Direct TV will have 150+ HD channels. HDTV will
    drive the market for all HD product.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 13, 2005
  16. Allan

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:02:18 -0500, Alan Figgatt
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> I should add the Superbowl looked damn good in HD. And the HD
    >>commercials were not bad either. Once you go HD (provided you hook up
    >>the TV correctly to actually get HD signals), you want all the channels
    >>to be HD.

    > And once you have HDTV you will want your DVD in HD as well.
    >
    > Faced with Batman Begins on Regular DVD or HD.. folks that have HDTV
    > now will certainly want the higher quality version.
    >
    > In less than 3 years Direct TV will have 150+ HD channels. HDTV will
    > drive the market for all HD product.

    That may be, but I don't think we will have 150 different HD networks
    by then. A lot of that HD bandwidth will be taken up by Direct TV spot
    beam broadcasts of the local HD OTA stations so they become more like a
    cable system and add the local channels to the set top box lineup.

    It will be many years before, what I would consider, all the second
    tier cable networks - History channel, Sci-Fi, A&E, home shopping
    channels for example - switch to HD. Given the bandwidth limits for the
    cable systems, it may be a decade before we see most of them available
    in HD. Got to get rid of all the analog channels from 2-79 on your local
    cable systems first. And that means obsoleting all the people who get
    their cable channels through the analog cable ready tuner on their TV.
    They won't be happy about being forced to rent a digital set top box.
    The FCC digital mandate only applies to the OTA stuff, not the cable
    companies.

    I see two very different viewpoints in this thread. You think the
    switch to HD and HD disks will happen very quickly. Others think that HD
    is not happening at all. I see the answer as in-between. The switch to
    HD TVs is happening, but given that people often keep their main TV for
    10+ years, it will take time. I expect HD-DVD or Blu-Ray won't surpass
    DVDs in sales for at least 6 to 8 years, which is still pretty fast for
    a new format.

    Alan F

    Alan Figgatt, Feb 13, 2005
  17. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Allan wrote on [Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:42:24 -0500]:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:17:37 -0600, Black Locust <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> But Allan is
    >>just as clueless as those VHS devotees if he truly believes HD video is
    >>going to replace regular DVD video in just 3 years...

    > HD will outsell regular DVD in three years... maybe less. Hang around
    > and we will see who is "clueless".

    I wouldn't bet on it.

    Justin, Feb 13, 2005
  18. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Allan wrote on [Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:47:56 -0500]:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:02:18 -0500, Alan Figgatt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I should add the Superbowl looked damn good in HD. And the HD
    >>commercials were not bad either. Once you go HD (provided you hook up
    >>the TV correctly to actually get HD signals), you want all the channels
    >>to be HD.

    > And once you have HDTV you will want your DVD in HD as well.
    >
    > Faced with Batman Begins on Regular DVD or HD.. folks that have HDTV
    > now will certainly want the higher quality version.
    >
    > In less than 3 years Direct TV will have 150+ HD channels. HDTV will
    > drive the market for all HD product.

    And how few people have Direct TV?

    Justin, Feb 13, 2005
  19. Re: Because we're maybe nine months away.........

    Justin wrote:
    > Allan wrote on [Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:47:56 -0500]:
    >
    >>In less than 3 years Direct TV will have 150+ HD channels. HDTV will
    >>drive the market for all HD product.

    > And how few people have Direct TV?

    Something more than 12 million.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game

    Matthew L. Martin, Feb 13, 2005
  20. Allan

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Justin wrote:

    >>In less than 3 years Direct TV will have 150+ HD channels. HDTV will
    >>drive the market for all HD product.

    > And how few people have Direct TV?

    Quoting from a Direct TV press release: "At the end of 2004, the total
    number of subscribers to DirecTV in the US stood at 13.94 million, up
    1.7 million on the previous year." A search for Dish Network states they
    claim to have 11 million subscribers, by the way.

    Alan F

    Alan Figgatt, Feb 13, 2005