    the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
    then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.

    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
    Cynicor, Aug 10, 2008

  2. Cynicor

    Marvin Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
    > over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
    > Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw some
    > people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there
    > drinking beer and smoking.
    >
    > After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
    > almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
    > blocks over."
    >
    > I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
    > wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
    > continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
    > the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
    > then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
    >
    > http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

    Googlre maps showed me where Huron Street is. I never went
    there when I grew up in Brooklyn, because the docks area was
    unsafe. The closest I'd go was on Fifth Avenue. It has been
    gentrified lately, but those one of the old-timer wouldn't
    know because he doesn't go there.

    It is easy to tell when a neighborhood gentrifies in New
    York City. The bodegas become boutiques.
    Marvin, Aug 10, 2008

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
    >> over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
    >> Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw
    >> some people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting
    >> there drinking beer and smoking.
    >>
    >> After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
    >> almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
    >> blocks over."
    >>
    >> I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
    >> wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
    >> continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
    >> the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two
    >> guys then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
    >>
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

    > Googlre maps showed me where Huron Street is. I never went there when I
    > grew up in Brooklyn, because the docks area was unsafe. The closest I'd
    > go was on Fifth Avenue. It has been gentrified lately, but those one of
    > the old-timer wouldn't know because he doesn't go there.
    >
    > It is easy to tell when a neighborhood gentrifies in New York City. The
    > bodegas become boutiques.

    I was telling some of my friends last night that unlike most other
    places in America, NYC has block after block of stores where none of
    them are chains. You can tell which areas are gentrified now - they have
    store names you recognize. (Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint qualifies.) But
    there are still wide swaths of ungentrified areas, of course.

    Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
    outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
    of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
    Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
    his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
    through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
    water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
    full of stale bread.
    Cynicor, Aug 10, 2008
  4. Cynicor

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
    : almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
    : blocks over."
    :
    : I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
    : wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
    : continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
    : the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
    : then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
    :
    : http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

    Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 10, 2008
  5. Cynicor

    John Sheehy Guest

    Marvin <> wrote in news:NdDnk.573$ZV1.318@trnddc07:

    > It is easy to tell when a neighborhood gentrifies in New
    > York City. The bodegas become boutiques.

    And you pay $1.75 for a 20 oz soda instead of $1.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    John Sheehy, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:00:42 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

    > Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
    > outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
    > of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
    > Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
    > his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
    > through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
    > water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
    > full of stale bread.

    Some relatives from CT and VA visited yesterday and took their
    posse of kids to the Bronx Zoo. At first they were a little
    apprehensive about my recommendation (is it safe?), but they
    eventually *walked* to the zoo. Had a great time too, despite the
    $8 or $9 Coca Colas.
    ASAAR, Aug 10, 2008
  7. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:17:50 -0400, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > : I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed
    > : over, I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of
    > : Manhattan. I went down a street right at the East River where I saw some
    > : people congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there
    > : drinking beer and smoking.
    > :
    > : After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
    > : almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two
    > : blocks over."
    > :
    > : I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
    > : wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
    > : continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in
    > : the playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys
    > : then started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
    > :
    > : http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
    >
    > Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?

    Not in this case, because my viewpoint was somewhat limited (I had a
    warehouse just to my left and to the right of the frame that blocked a
    wider view), and because I wanted to make the sky an integral part of
    this photo. I can crop out the cirrus clouds if it makes you happy. :)
    Cynicor, Aug 11, 2008
  8. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    >> Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:17:50 -0400, Cynicor <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> : : http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB
    >>>
    >>> Nice picture, but wouldn't it have worked better as a horizontal?

    >> Not in this case, because my viewpoint was somewhat limited (I had a
    >> warehouse just to my left and to the right of the frame that blocked a
    >> wider view), and because I wanted to make the sky an integral part of this
    >> photo. I can crop out the cirrus clouds if it makes you happy. :)

    > You could crop it to square without losing much of the clouds. That might
    > work.
    >
    > With more and more LCDs being widescreen nowadays, portrait orientation just
    > means that many of your viewers aren't seeing the whole image. Sigh.

    That's too bad. I really like some of the effects I can get by using a
    super-wide (11-18) held portrait.
    Cynicor, Aug 11, 2008
  9. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:00:42 -0400, Cynicor wrote:
    >
    >> Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
    >> outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
    >> of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
    >> Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
    >> his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
    >> through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
    >> water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
    >> full of stale bread.

    > Some relatives from CT and VA visited yesterday and took their
    > posse of kids to the Bronx Zoo. At first they were a little
    > apprehensive about my recommendation (is it safe?), but they
    > eventually *walked* to the zoo. Had a great time too, despite the
    > $8 or $9 Coca Colas.

    The Bronx Zoo is the PLACE. They even make it interesting in the winter.
    I keep meaning to head up to the Botanical Gardens, but time gets away
    from me etc.
    Cynicor, Aug 11, 2008
  10. Cynicor

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <489f9673$0$7351$>,
    Cynicor <> wrote:

    > The Bronx Zoo is the PLACE. They even make it interesting in the winter.
    > I keep meaning to head up to the Botanical Gardens, but time gets away
    > from me etc.

    If you're into Henry Moore, this is a good time to visit the gardens.

    http://www.nybg.org/henry_moore/
    Roy Smith, Aug 11, 2008
  11. Cynicor

    Marvin Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    <snip"

    > Down at the waterfront, places like Huron, have that "feel unsafe to
    > outsiders" thing going, but they'll see "12 shady New Yorkers" instead
    > of the four different groups hanging out there with nothing in common.
    > Two guys were sitting in their car drinking beer. One guy had brought
    > his SUV there to wash the tires. A couple was sitting on a rock looking
    > through some papers. A woman was trying to catch a Canada goose in the
    > water. Three old Russian ladies were trying to feed birds with a bag
    > full of stale bread.

    People doing things like that tells my "street smarts" that
    it a safe place to be. Having nobody around raises my hackles.
    Marvin, Aug 11, 2008
  12. Cynicor

    Pete D Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed over,
    >I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of Manhattan. I
    >went down a street right at the East River where I saw some people
    >congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there drinking
    >beer and smoking.
    >
    > After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
    > almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two blocks
    > over."
    >
    > I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
    > wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
    > continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in the
    > playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys then
    > started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
    >
    > http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

    Nice but the dust bunnies spoil the shot.
    Pete D, Aug 11, 2008
  13. Cynicor

    Pete D Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:

    >>> That's too bad. I really like some of the effects I can get by using a
    >>> super-wide (11-18) held portrait.

    >> Yep. It's fun: http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/43504181/large
    >>
    >> Even with my 19" 1290x1024 LCD, I have to go fullscreen to view portrait
    >> orientation images (and even then they often go partly offscreen), and a
    >> lot of the displays in my price range are widescreen with
    >> <gobsandgobs>x1024 pixels. No thanks.
    >>
    >> At some point, I'll get a 22" 1200x1600 display, but they're pricey, so
    >> I'm hesitating.
    >>

    > Just get an iMac, 1920 x 1200, and comes with state of the art processor.
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    LOL!
    Pete D, Aug 11, 2008
  14. Cynicor

    Scott W Guest

    On Aug 10, 3:30 pm, "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    > At some point, I'll get a 22" 1200x1600 display, but they're

    pricey, so I'm
    > hesitating.

    I just picked up a 1200x1920 Samsung (SyncMaster 2443) from Costco for
    $350, it is very nice.

    Scott
    Scott W, Aug 11, 2008
  15. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >> I went to see a friend's band last night in Brooklyn. Before I headed over,
    >> I went down to the waterfront to take a couple of photos of Manhattan. I
    >> went down a street right at the East River where I saw some people
    >> congregated, and set up. There were older two guys sitting there drinking
    >> beer and smoking.
    >>
    >> After i took the first batch of photos, one of the guys said to me in
    >> almost a whisper, "You want better view, go down to Huron. It's two blocks
    >> over."
    >>
    >> I thanked him for the tip. Just then, his friend piped up. "You don't
    >> wanna go down to Huron. Huron's where the scumbags are." He then
    >> continued, "Who's this guy Brett Favre, anyway? My Giants beat him in the
    >> playoffs last year. He's got more gray hair than I do." The two guys then
    >> started arguing Jets vs. Giants, and I took off for Huron.
    >>
    >> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699_ng2Rz#348665979_gU64t-X2-LB

    > Nice but the dust bunnies spoil the shot.

    Didn't even see them. They're cleaned off now.
    Cynicor, Aug 12, 2008
  16. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> Pete D wrote:
    >>> "Cynicor" <> wrote in message

    >>> Nice but the dust bunnies spoil the shot.

    >> Didn't even see them. They're cleaned off now.

    > Very, very nice. Plenty of color, plenty of interest and detail, many
    > relationships, very clear on the buildings.
    >
    > I need to get my computer-monitor glasses checked. The tall buildings
    > seem atilt to me.

    That's the wind, actually. They're built to sway a little bit.
    Cynicor, Aug 12, 2008