    download tied to my email address. I would sure appreciate if anyone could
    share their insites and advice on this. Thanks very much in advance.

    Obiwan

    Obiwan Kenobi, Aug 12, 2005

  2. On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:15:05 +0000, Obiwan Kenobi wrote:

    > Hello the group,
    >
    > This morning I tried to download the free version of BearShare (Lite
    > version) from the BearShare website and was asked to provide an email
    > address before the download would begin. So I tried another download
    > portal and ran into the same thing. My question is, for anonymity purposes
    > would I need to worry about this when I run the program. One of the reasons
    > I don't want the Pro version of BearShare is that I want to stay anonymous.
    > This email confirmation rquirement for downloading the free Lite version is
    > new, and I am suspicious that a tracking number will be included in my
    > download tied to my email address. I would sure appreciate if anyone could
    > share their insites and advice on this. Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > Obiwan

    If it bothers you that much just create a new account at some free service
    (e.g. Yahoo) and discard it once you've downloaded the software. As for
    what they'll choose to do with the address you provide, only they
    really know.

    --
    Adam McMaster <>

    Adam McMaster, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Obiwan Kenobi

    Geek Guest

    Adam McMaster <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:15:05 +0000, Obiwan Kenobi wrote:
    >
    >> Hello the group,
    >>
    >> This morning I tried to download the free version of BearShare (Lite
    >> version) from the BearShare website and was asked to provide an email
    >> address before the download would begin. So I tried another download
    >> portal and ran into the same thing. My question is, for anonymity
    >> purposes would I need to worry about this when I run the program. One
    >> of the reasons I don't want the Pro version of BearShare is that I
    >> want to stay anonymous. This email confirmation rquirement for
    >> downloading the free Lite version is new, and I am suspicious that a
    >> tracking number will be included in my download tied to my email
    >> address. I would sure appreciate if anyone could share their insites
    >> and advice on this. Thanks very much in advance.
    >>
    >> Obiwan

    > If it bothers you that much just create a new account at some free
    > service (e.g. Yahoo) and discard it once you've downloaded the
    > software. As for what they'll choose to do with the address you
    > provide, only they really know.

    An even better approach is to use a mailinator address. just type in any
    adderss, and a temporary account is created which does not need a
    password to access it.
    Mailinator also acts as a spam trap, so any spam sent to it gets
    incorperated into anti spam companies blacklists :)
    www.mailinator.com

    I doubt you're email will be tired to your downloaded program file. Most
    likely the email will be used to send you SPAM, or information about
    bearshare that you reall dont want or need. It could also be used as a
    method of counting how many downloads have been made of the program.

    As for staying anonymous, this isnt really possible on the internet. You
    would need to chain your connection through multiple (at least 3) proxies
    before you could be anonymous enough to stop (or rather prevent) the RIAA
    from tracing you.

    --
    http://privacy-protection.no-ip.com

    Geek, Aug 13, 2005