    What I'm not clear on, though, is whether the IP address in the message's
    properties is valid. When I get one and it shows a provider and IP address
    can I refer it back to that provider or am I wasting mine and their time?

    Jess Fertudei, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Jess Fertudei

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Jess Fertudei" <> wrote in
    news::

    > What I'm not clear on, though, is whether the IP address in the
    > message's properties is valid. When I get one and it shows a provider
    > and IP address can I refer it back to that provider or am I wasting
    > mine and their time?

    Generally, yes that is how to find the provider. Follow the Received:
    lines back to the first valid entry, and that is where it is from.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 9, 2004

  3. "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Jess Fertudei" <> wrote in
    >
    > > What I'm not clear on, though, is whether the IP address in the
    > > message's properties is valid. When I get one and it shows a provider
    > > and IP address can I refer it back to that provider or am I wasting
    > > mine and their time?

    > Generally, yes that is how to find the provider. Follow the Received:
    > lines back to the first valid entry, and that is where it is from.

    Thanks. There are a number of folks in a mail list getting this and we're
    having a hard time finding out from whom... I'm leaning toward someone who
    is maybe not a participant anymore and will start looking at IP addresses
    next. I guess.

    Any idea on what rate this is not the case?

    Jess Fertudei, Nov 9, 2004