  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    Don, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Don

    Proteus Guest

    Don wrote:

    > Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth talking
    NY camera shops. I only order photo equipment now from B&H Photo; they
    always have in stock what the say, easy web ordering, no bullshit, very
    high reputation

    Proteus, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Don

    Hans Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in news:l6udnXVfHKRsWHPfRVn-
    :

    > Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    I have never had a problem with Beach Camera. Fast shipment and
    always have item in stock when they say they do.

    Hans, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Don

    Tony Guest

    There are a few Beach buddies on this forum who have nothing but nice things
    to say about them --- except when someone posts to say that Beach advertised
    a USA warantee on a camera but sent them a grey market version. Apparently
    all of the Beach fans were out of town that week.
    Except for the few on this forum I've never heard anyone say anything
    good about Beach.
    I suggest letting those fans deal with Beach and their aliases (buydig.com
    is one) while you, I and other apparently way too fussy people stick with
    stores that have a good reputation.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Aug 2, 2005
  5. Don

    SimonLW Guest

    Yes, the scumbag businesses always have their shills working for them.
    -S

    SimonLW, Aug 2, 2005
  6. Don

    bmoag Guest

    I guess I'm a shill: I've bought many items from Beach camera with no
    problems at all, including valid Nikon rebated items.

    bmoag, Aug 2, 2005
  7. Don

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    Beach Camera used to have a very bad reputation, like most of the NY/NJ
    mail-order stores.

    Now it has excellent user reviews (see www.bizrate.com, etc.). What changed
    I have no idea. Maybe it's under new management. Maybe it never was as bad
    as people thought. I've never dealt with Beach myself.

    I have, however, bought several digital cameras from BuyDig.com, which is a
    "sister company" or division of Beach Camera. In every case I have been 100%
    satisfied. Great price, item in stock when ordered, brand new and with USA
    warranty as advertised, shipped extremely fast. Based on my experience with
    BuyDig.com, and Beach's excellent customer reviews, I would not hesitate to
    buy from Beach if there were a reason to do so, like a lower price than
    BuyDig.com. But so far I've had no good reason to buy from other than the
    latter company. (I did try elsewhere once because of a substantially lower
    advertised price, but for various reasons ended up canceling the order and
    ordering from BuyDig.com instead.)

    Pay no attention to the paranoid know-it-alls who imagine everyone who
    praises a good, reliable low-priced seller must be a "Beach buddy" or a
    "shill."

    N.

    Nostrobino, Aug 2, 2005
  8. Don

    Proteus Guest

    Proteus wrote:

    > Don wrote:
    >
    >> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    > Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth
    > talking NY camera shops. I only order photo equipment now from B&H Photo;
    > they always have in stock what the say, easy web ordering, no bullshit,
    > very high reputation

    I will add that I would have less of an issue buying from NY shops like
    Beach, etc. ONLY if doing so through e.g. Yahoo Shopping-- then the whole
    transaction has a written record and you can do feedback ratings of the
    vendor; I would also ALWAYS add in the comment field of an online buying
    experience to "complete order ONLY if item is in stock and can be shipped
    within 5 days"; othewise a vendor can INDEFINATELY (yes you read that
    right) hold you hostage and ship your order in even a year from taking the
    order! They must ship within 30 days of billing your credit card, but they
    can wait a year or more before doing that! Once I learned this and saw I
    was being shafted by a NY shop for an order, I saw the only way out was to
    cancel my credit card and get a new credit card issued!

    Proteus, Aug 2, 2005
  9. Don

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    [ . . . ]

    > I will add that I would have less of an issue buying from NY shops like
    > Beach, etc. ONLY if doing so through e.g. Yahoo Shopping-- then the whole
    > transaction has a written record and you can do feedback ratings of the
    > vendor; I would also ALWAYS add in the comment field of an online buying
    > experience to "complete order ONLY if item is in stock and can be shipped
    > within 5 days"; othewise a vendor can INDEFINATELY (yes you read that
    > right) hold you hostage and ship your order in even a year from taking the
    > order! They must ship within 30 days of billing your credit card, but they
    > can wait a year or more before doing that! Once I learned this and saw I
    > was being shafted by a NY shop for an order, I saw the only way out was to
    > cancel my credit card and get a new credit card issued!

    Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
    someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like bullshit,
    in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were] being
    shafted" in that way?

    In any case it has never been a problem with me, and I buy almost everything
    camera- or computer-related online and by credit card. I have very, very
    rarely wanted to cancel an order, but haven't had any problem doing so on
    those few occasions. The only exception was one order from Buy.com, about
    which I changed my mind after placing the order and tried to cancel. They
    have a provision for doing this, but you have to get the cancellation
    request in before the order is processed (which is reasonable enough) and I
    was too late in doing so. On most items they process and ship fast. My
    fault, not theirs.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Aug 2, 2005
  10. Don

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:01:43 -0400, Don <> wrote:

    > Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    I have bought from both BeachCamera and BuyDig within the past year. Prompt
    shipment. No phone call to sell me anything extra. The only problem is they
    forgot to include the rebate form. I called and it was promptly sent.

    A friend, at my recommendation, just bought from Beach. No problem at all.

    If anyone has anything negative to say, it should be a first hand
    experience with details of why negative.

    Don Wiss, Aug 3, 2005
  11. Don

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:29:34 -0500, Proteus <> wrote:

    >Don wrote:
    >
    >> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    >Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth talking
    >NY camera shops.

    BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
    years. Plenty of walk in sales.

    Don Wiss, Aug 3, 2005
  12. Don

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
    > years. Plenty of walk in sales.

    Yes, unfortunately they seem to treat their walk-in business VERY
    separately from online. Last time I attempted to buy something from
    them, I offered to order online and then head to their route 22
    storefront, seeing as I live only 20 minutes away. No dice. They
    REALLY wanted that $35 for ground shipping.

    That's when I decided that if I had to pay shipping and wait a day, I
    may as well order from B&H, where despite the increased distance, the
    product price was the same AND shipping ended up being less.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Aug 3, 2005
  13. Don

    Proteus Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:29:34 -0500, Proteus <> wrote:
    >
    >>Don wrote:
    >>
    >>> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

    >>Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth
    >>talking NY camera shops.

    > BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
    > years. Plenty of walk in sales.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    My bad. Being a Minnesotan, I sort of equate all those fast talking east
    coast talking mail order places with the general NY area. My apologies for
    confusing NY and NJ.

    Proteus, Aug 3, 2005
  14. Don

    Proteus Guest

    Nostrobino wrote:
    > Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
    > someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like bullshit,
    > in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
    > being shafted" in that way?

    Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
    about that.

    Proteus, Aug 3, 2005
  15. Don

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > Nostrobino wrote:
    >> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
    >> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like
    >> bullshit,
    >> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
    >> being shafted" in that way?
    >>

    > ..
    >
    > Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
    > about that.

    Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
    their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
    their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
    result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand. But
    what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e., seller
    tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock) I could
    call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the seller. She
    definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the order as you
    stated in your post.

    I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.

    Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
    cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
    different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
    really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting the
    seller hold the customer hostage in that way.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Aug 4, 2005
  16. Don

    Proteus Guest

    Nostrobino wrote:

    > "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >> Nostrobino wrote:
    >>> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
    >>> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like
    >>> bullshit,
    >>> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
    >>> being shafted" in that way?
    >>>

    >> ..
    >>
    >> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
    >> about that.

    > Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
    > their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
    > their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
    > result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
    > But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
    > seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
    > I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
    > seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
    > order as you stated in your post.
    >
    > I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
    >
    > Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
    > cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
    > different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
    > really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
    > the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
    >
    > N.

    You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do not
    care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it or
    lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.

    Proteus, Aug 4, 2005
  17. Don

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > Nostrobino wrote:
    >

    >> "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> ..
    >>>
    >>> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
    >>> about that.

    >> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
    >> their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
    >> their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with
    >> the
    >> result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
    >> But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
    >> seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
    >> I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
    >> seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
    >> order as you stated in your post.
    >>
    >> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
    >>
    >> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
    >> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
    >> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock
    >> and
    >> really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
    >> the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
    >>
    >> N.

    > You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do
    > not
    > care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it or
    > lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.

    I certainly did not mean to imply that you are lying. Your experience as
    you've stated it is disturbing, and it was worth your mentioning it. As I
    said, I suppose different credit card companies have different policies.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Aug 4, 2005
  18. Don

    Proteus Guest

    Nostrobino wrote:
    > I certainly did not mean to imply that you are lying. Your experience as
    > you've stated it is disturbing, and it was worth your mentioning it. As I
    > said, I suppose different credit card companies have different policies.
    >
    > N.

    Agreed. Like my current credit card company surprised me by blocking charges
    while I was traveling a couple of years ago, to Europe, and also Mexico a
    year ago-- for security purposes. To me it was a hassle big time. Times are
    changing I guess.

    Proteus, Aug 4, 2005
  19. Don

    george Guest

    "Isaiah Beard" <> wrote in message
    > Don Wiss wrote:
    >

    >> BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
    >> years. Plenty of walk in sales.

    > Yes, unfortunately they seem to treat their walk-in business VERY
    > separately from online. Last time I attempted to buy something from them,
    > I offered to order online and then head to their route 22 storefront,
    > seeing as I live only 20 minutes away. No dice. They REALLY wanted that
    > $35 for ground shipping.
    >
    > That's when I decided that if I had to pay shipping and wait a day, I may
    > as well order from B&H, where despite the increased distance, the product
    > price was the same AND shipping ended up being less.
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

    Are you sure you're talking about the right store? The MOST I've ever paid
    them for shipping
    has been $6.95 and it was 3-day. Most of the time I've ordered from them,
    shipping was free.
    BS shipping/handling fees is one of my pet peeves and this is one of the
    things that got my attention
    in the first place.

    george, Aug 4, 2005
  20. Don

    george Guest

    "Nostrobino" <> wrote in message

    > "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >> Nostrobino wrote:
    >>> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
    >>> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like
    >>> bullshit,
    >>> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
    >>> being shafted" in that way?
    >>>

    >> ..
    >>
    >> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
    >> about that.

    > Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
    > their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
    > their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
    > result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
    > But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
    > seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
    > I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
    > seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
    > order as you stated in your post.
    >
    > I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
    >
    > Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
    > cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
    > different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
    > really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
    > the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
    >
    > N.

    Different companies have very different policies...found that out in two
    instances involving
    recurring charges to a charge card. The first involved canceling an ISP
    (and calling them and
    recanceling a number of times) who insisted on continuing to charge my
    credit card (Citibank,
    fortunately). I explained the situation to Citibank and that the ISP was
    not authorized by me to
    charge my account any longer and Citibank no longer accepted any charges
    from them. I had an
    identical situation occur a few years later with a different company and a
    different credit card
    issuer and was told by the credit card company that I'd have to get the
    rogue company to quit
    stealing from my account of their own volition. I no longer deal with that
    credit card company
    and NEVER will again. I also never allow any recurring charges under any
    conditions as they
    are MUCH more difficult to EVER get rid of and you never really know what
    you cc company's
    policy on such things will be at the time you have a problem.

    george, Aug 4, 2005