    Olympus but would like your advice first

    TIA

    Tim

    Tim, Jun 14, 2006

  2. In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    > wrote:

    > Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf camera?

    What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    Phil Stripling, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Tim

    aussie bongo Guest

    "Tim" <no > wrote in message
    > Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf camera?
    >
    > Olympus Stylus 720SW - already waterproof to 9ft
    >
    > Pentax Optio W10 - only waterproof down to 3ft, so will probably need a
    > housing
    >
    > Fuji Finepix F11 - not waterproof, will need a housing
    >
    > I'm wavering in the direction of the shockproof/waterproof qualities of
    > the Olympus but would like your advice first
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim

    if you need a cheap housing, then you can make your own from a freezerbag or
    similer.

    put the camera in the clear bag then seal the top with one of those heat bag
    sealers, (u know the ones that melt the end of bags together so your food in
    the bag lasts longer)

    dont make the bag the size only to fit the camera in as it has to be a bit
    bigger,, once the bag is sealed you then stretch it smooth over the lense

    aussie bongo, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    > In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    > > wrote:
    >
    >> Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf
    >> camera?

    > What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    > feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    > survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    > waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    Cos if I drop it off a wind surfer or kayak in shallow water it's probably
    going to be more than 3 ft deep

    Tim

    Tim, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Tim

    J. Clarke Guest

    Phil Stripling wrote:

    > In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    > > wrote:
    >
    >> Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf camera?

    > What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    > feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    > survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    > waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    If falls off his surfboard he might very well end up down farther than 3
    feet.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jun 14, 2006
  6. Tim

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Tim wrote:
    >>In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    >>> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf
    >>>camera?

    >>What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    >>feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    >>survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    >>waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    > Cos if I drop it off a wind surfer or kayak in shallow water it's probably
    > going to be more than 3 ft deep

    In that case, I hope it floats ;)

    I have a Pentax 43WR which I like: No external sliding-moving
    parts, especially good for sand.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 14, 2006
  7. Tim

    Tony Rice Guest

    general advice. Buy the camera, then buy the water proof case. That way
    you'll get a camera that is useful out of the water as well and you can get
    a case with the right level of protection.

    Tony Rice, Jun 14, 2006
  8. Tim

    Kevin Agard Guest

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > Phil Stripling wrote:
    >

    >>In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    >>> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf camera?

    >>What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    >>feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    >>survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    >>waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    > If falls off his surfboard he might very well end up down farther than 3
    > feet.

    Attach a flotation device to it. Problem solved!

    Kevin Agard, Jun 14, 2006
  9. Tim

    Scott W Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > > In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    > > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf
    > >> camera?

    > > What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    > > feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    > > survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    > > waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    > Cos if I drop it off a wind surfer or kayak in shallow water it's probably
    > going to be more than 3 ft deep

    I use the Pentax Optio WP, with a float attached.

    It does pretty good in bright light but really bad in dim light.

    I use it both on my canoe and underwater and have had no problems with
    either use.

    It was cheaper then a housing for any of the cameras that I have so
    seem like a good way to go.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 14, 2006
  10. Tim

    J. Clarke Guest

    Kevin Agard wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> Phil Stripling wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <

    >>>What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    >>>feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    >>>survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    >>>waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    >> If falls off his surfboard he might very well end up down farther than 3
    >> feet.
    >>

    > Attach a flotation device to it. Problem solved!

    Not if it's in his pocket at the time.

    J. Clarke, Jun 15, 2006
  11. Tim

    tomm42 Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > > In article <tPZjg.86063$>, Tim <
    > > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ok can anyone help me choose between this lot for a beach/surf
    > >> camera?

    > > What's a beach/surf camera? You are talking about waterproof down to 3
    > > feet not being enough. I take a normal camera to the beach, and it
    > > survives fine. If you are wading in the surf, I'm not sure why
    > > waterproof to 3 feet would not be sufficient.

    > Cos if I drop it off a wind surfer or kayak in shallow water it's probably
    > going to be more than 3 ft deep
    >
    > Tim

    I've been using a Nikon 995 for years with kayaking, lakes, rivers and
    this spring ocean. the secret is a SIMA camera drybag. Another person
    uses his Nikon D200 with a small regular drybag. Got dunked by some
    surf and everything was fine, the SIMA bag floated. I got it years ago
    so I don't know if it is still available. Another solution is a EWA
    camera bag, essentially a heavy baggy with a sealed optical element.
    Good to 60 feet and available for any camera from P&S to pro video.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 15, 2006
  12. Tim

    RW+/- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:38:47 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

    > Kevin Agard wrote:
    >

    >> J. Clarke wrote:

    >>> If falls off his surfboard he might very well end up down farther than 3
    >>> feet.
    >>>

    >> Attach a flotation device to it. Problem solved!

    > Not if it's in his pocket at the time.

    Then there would be no reason for having it in the first place.

    RW+/-, Jun 18, 2006