Be afraid ...be very afraid......

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by E., Sep 29, 2003.

  1. E.

    E. Guest

    iinet, a Perth based ISP has bought ihug.

    If you want to be disconnected for up to 3 weeks, have your email and
    websites lost stay with ihug/iinet.

    Iinet are the worst ISP I have ever experienced. A common scenario is
    the have "no known outages" (except for WA, ACT, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD)

    Their service and support is nothing short of shocking, and in some
    cases criminal.

    The management do nothing to fix problems they create, but are
    exceptional at mouthing platitudes.

    The debacle caused by Iinet's takeover of WebOne has had questions
    raised by the TIO and the company regulalry gets a reaming in the media.

    They are *worse* than telstra (read as: worse than telecom) so be warned.

    Anyone currently with ihug may wish to move *before* the iiborg get ya.
    E.
    E., Sep 29, 2003

  2. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:38:45 GMT, "E." <> wrote:
    <rubbish>
    >Anyone currently with ihug may wish to move *before* the iiborg get ya.

    You're just a commercial spammer looking to pad your wallet by scaring
    people to come to a competitor one of whom you have a stake in. Twit.

    willy
    WeeWillyWonka, Sep 29, 2003

  3. E.

    KS Guest

    > If you want to be disconnected for up to 3 weeks, have your email and
    > websites lost stay with ihug/iinet.

    Any news links to back this up ?

    > Iinet are the worst ISP I have ever experienced. A common scenario is
    > the have "no known outages" (except for WA, ACT, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD)

    Any news links to back this up ?

    > Their service and support is nothing short of shocking, and in some
    > cases criminal.

    Any news links to back this up ?

    > The management do nothing to fix problems they create, but are
    > exceptional at mouthing platitudes.

    Any news links to back this up ?

    > The debacle caused by Iinet's takeover of WebOne has had questions
    > raised by the TIO and the company regulalry gets a reaming in the
    > media.

    Any news links to back this up ? This time ?

    KS, Sep 29, 2003
  4. E.

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:13:51 +0000, WeeWillyWonka wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:38:45 GMT, "E." <> wrote:
    > <rubbish>
    >>Anyone currently with ihug may wish to move *before* the iiborg get ya.

    > You're just a commercial spammer looking to pad your wallet by scaring
    > people to come to a competitor one of whom you have a stake in. Twit.
    >
    > willy

    Or he could be right.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Sep 30, 2003
  5. E.

    E. Guest

    WeeWillyWonka wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:38:45 GMT, "E." <> wrote:
    > <rubbish>
    >
    >>Anyone currently with ihug may wish to move *before* the iiborg get ya.

    > You're just a commercial spammer looking to pad your wallet by scaring
    > people to come to a competitor one of whom you have a stake in. Twit.
    >
    > willy

    Yeah.... yer right... those companies, products and services I urged you
    all to buy are something you really need. Oh *bugger*! i forgot to
    include it.

    I'm *really* going to make money off of NZ ISP's when I'm not working
    for, with, partnered to or have any stake in any NZ ISP. But then again,
    I'm not in NZ at the moment.

    You must be right.
    E.
    E., Sep 30, 2003
  6. E.

    E. Guest

    KS wrote:

    >> If you want to be disconnected for up to 3 weeks, have your email and
    >> websites lost stay with ihug/iinet.

    > Any news links to back this up ?

    Get monday 29 August 2003 edition of Canberra times, look at pages 13
    and 15 in the tech section. It's very toned down, but has the details.
    Previous editions of the canberratimes also featured the screwup.

    They don't post "full editions" on the web, but there are comments in
    the "your views" section if you look. If you really want to prove this,
    go to a newsagent or library that carries this paper.
    www.canberratimes.com.au

    >> Iinet are the worst ISP I have ever experienced. A common scenario is
    >> the have "no known outages" (except for WA, ACT, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD)

    > Any news links to back this up ?

    yes. google on iinet +outage, iinet +problems and see for yourself.

    >> Their service and support is nothing short of shocking, and in some
    >> cases criminal.

    > Any news links to back this up ?
    >
    >> The management do nothing to fix problems they create, but are
    >> exceptional at mouthing platitudes.

    > Any news links to back this up ?

    I suggest you go to whirlpool.net.au, go to the iinet section and look
    around. Of particular interest is a dated thread (August) created by
    Michael Malone (CEO of Iinet) stating "Current problems affecting webone
    customers" He goes on to say that if there are issues, post them here,
    and they will be fixed. They were posted there, and not fixed.

    Another comment from Jason Blackshall(ISP representative) stating that "
    There will be no size limits on email". Article in canberratimes states
    how there is a 4.5mb (effective) cap on email size. The actual limit is
    5mb, but due to the innefficiencies in SMTP the size of the message
    before encoding must be under 4.5mb. The canbtimes article I mentioned
    also quotes an ISP rep stating that email limits are "5mb, in accordance
    with govt policy." There is no govt policy affecting the size of email
    nationally, tho most govt departments (and companies) put a cap on email
    size.
    The ad-hoc standard is generally 10mb (reason being is if it bounces,
    it's gotta come back)

    >> The debacle caused by Iinet's takeover of WebOne has had questions
    >> raised by the TIO and the company regulalry gets a reaming in the
    >> media.

    > Any news links to back this up ? This time ?

    Hey! why not ask the same question and expect an answer before you hit
    the send button? That's smart.

    >> They are *worse* than telstra (read as: worse than telecom) so be
    >> warned.
    >>
    >> Anyone currently with ihug may wish to move *before* the iiborg get
    >> ya. E.

    > Any news links to back this up ?

    Sure. just google on iinet +webone +problems. You'll find plenty of
    info. Like: http://www.the-riotact.com/print.php?sid=2840
    Or do any search in google groups on canb.general or webone.general with
    a keyword of iinet or webone and you will find plenty of info from those
    involved.
    there are two current threads about it in there canb.general now.

    Do you want your email passwords transferred in clear text for 6000
    miles when you check email?
    Do you want you usernames changed without prior notification? Left
    floundering for days because you can't log on, and you can't get support?
    Do you want a shadow address which filters spam from other email
    accounts to your address?
    So you want an ISp that "just turns off" your web hosting servers for
    three days and ships them off to somewhere else?
    Do you want your email to just disappear?
    Do you want your domain to get lost?
    Do you want 3 days where the tech support line is off during a major
    changeover?
    Do you want ongoing email loss and authentication errors?
    Do you want to wait on hold (if you can get through) for hours only to
    be given bullshit answers like it's your router? (even better when said
    router is the same make and model that they sell?)
    Do you want your prepaid hours "removed" through "script errors"?
    Do you want your domain shifted to a 3rd party provider without prior
    knowledge? And then have the ISP uncontactable when you are trying to
    work out why you can't get email? (of 600 clients, *1* recieved a letter
    stating their domain would be shifted, 2 weeks after the fuckup - iinet
    swore that they "had sent letters to all parties concerned prior to the
    changeover")
    Do you want changes to you password/logon structure which invalidates
    your passwords?
    Do you want to log in to your account toolbox and automagically have
    access to *other people's* accounts? And they to yours?

    All these, and many many more, are problems clients have had, and
    continue to have since the iiborg assimilated a local ISP. I was
    involved on the fornt line (as an IT support person getting to deal with
    all the shit) They have done it to others before, and now they will do
    it to Ihug. If you get out of it unscathed, good for you - if not, you
    have been warned.

    Plenty of others can support my views, do the googling I mentioned and
    you will find this out.

    Live wrong and prosper,
    E.
    E., Sep 30, 2003
  7. E.

    E. Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:13:51 +0000, WeeWillyWonka wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:38:45 GMT, "E." <> wrote:
    >><rubbish>
    >>
    >>>Anyone currently with ihug may wish to move *before* the iiborg get ya.

    >>You're just a commercial spammer looking to pad your wallet by scaring
    >>people to come to a competitor one of whom you have a stake in. Twit.
    >>
    >>willy

    > Or he could be right.

    I wish I wasn't. I sincerely hope NZ Ihug users don't have the problems
    experienced over here, but unfortunately it's common when an ISP is
    assimilated.
    Time will tell.
    E.
    E., Sep 30, 2003
  8. E.

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:23:32 +0000, E. wrote:

    > I wish I wasn't. I sincerely hope NZ Ihug users don't have the problems
    > experienced over here, but unfortunately it's common when an ISP is
    > assimilated.

    Actually it reminded me what Ihug used to be like in the early days.

    And Telstra taking over Paradise etc wasn't exactly an improvement. ISP
    assimilations usually suck.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 30, 2003
  9. E.

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "E." <> wrote. . .
    > I wish I wasn't. I sincerely hope NZ Ihug users don't have the problems
    > experienced over here, but unfortunately it's common when an ISP is
    > assimilated.
    > Time will tell.
    > E.

    comindico ain't that shit hot either