    i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    Evil, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Evil

    Jack Ak Guest

    On 25 Aug 2003 15:10:24 -0700, (Evil) wrote:

    >According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    >
    >WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    >sometime later this year.
    >
    >i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    >and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    >to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    The A&E bug is OK. I stopped watching MI-5 when they started keeping
    the name on screen throughout the whole 42 minutes. I don't need
    a neon sign telling me the name of the program I'm watching.

    I don't think you will see a 60 minute version. My British friends
    say Spooks runs for 50 minutes in the UK.

    Jack Ak, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Evil

    Alan Pollock Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Jack Ak <> wrote:
    > On 25 Aug 2003 15:10:24 -0700, (Evil) wrote:

    > >According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    > >
    > >WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    > >sometime later this year.
    > >
    > >i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    > >and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    > >to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    > The A&E bug is OK. I stopped watching MI-5 when they started keeping
    > the name on screen throughout the whole 42 minutes. I don't need
    > a neon sign telling me the name of the program I'm watching.

    > I don't think you will see a 60 minute version. My British friends
    > say Spooks runs for 50 minutes in the UK.

    They're wrong then. I've nearly finished watching the first ten eps (tv-rips)
    of season two; they're 59 minutes and a few secs each,

    A&E should try to accomodate time-fat programs. Their audience would love them
    for it. They could show the full versions in the middle of the night for
    instance, Nex

    Alan Pollock, Aug 26, 2003
  4. Evil

    Jon Maurer Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    >
    > WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    > sometime later this year.
    >
    > i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    > and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    > to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    I have The Office Series 1 DVD (Region 2) which I brought back from the
    UK earlier in the year - it was great to watch the episodes back-to-
    back. I tried to find Coupling Series 2 but it wasn't yet available when
    I was there -- I think I missed it by just a couple of weeks.

    Jon

    Jon Maurer, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Evil wrote:
    > According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    >
    > WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    > sometime later this year.
    >
    > i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    > and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    > to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    Frankly The Office is kind of a yawner, don't get your hopes up. One of
    those shows that has a handful of funny jokes but the rest is pretty
    boring. And Coupling is beneath contempt, it's a rip-off of the
    contemptible Friends for crying out loud. When are they going to
    release Black Books over here? And more Red Dwarf! Only two smegging
    series a year? They must be mad! What's the hold-up?

    Is Hetty Wainthropp a BBC show? More Hetty Wainthropp!

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Evil

    lrulan Guest

    "Matt Ackeret" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Evil <> wrote:
    > >According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    > >
    > >WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    > >sometime later this year.

    > Woohoo! I watched the first season of Coupling on DVD several weeks ago
    > one night, and everyone thought it was hilarious.
    >
    > >i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    > >and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    > >to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    > So we're *sure* it will actually be the uncut episodes? If this is
    > somehow connected with A&E, I can almost imagine them releasing butchered
    > episodes "because it's what people here saw on TV".
    >
    > I sure hope they're uncut. This sounded intriguing based upon the news
    > articles, but after finding out they were seriously hacked, I haven't
    > watched it on A&E.

    I have the season 1 set from the UK of MI-5 (called SPOOKS over there) and
    each episode runs 59 minutes. So, I assume this is the uncut version. Season
    2 has not yet been released.

    --

    Irulan
    from now until the end of time

    lrulan, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Evil

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <RBM2b.83157$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >Frankly The Office is kind of a yawner, don't get your hopes up. One of
    >those shows that has a handful of funny jokes but the rest is pretty
    >boring. And Coupling is beneath contempt, it's a rip-off of the
    >contemptible Friends for crying out loud. When are they going to

    Did you *watch* Coupling?

    I do really like Friends (though Chandler is 90% of the humor), and
    they are certainly similar, but I think the "British Friends" stance
    is a bit overblown.

    Heck, Coupling's at least an R rated Friends, which is maybe PG.

    Matt Ackeret, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Evil

    jayembee Guest

    (Matt Ackeret) wrote:

    >>i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    >>and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    >>to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    >So we're *sure* it will actually be the uncut episodes? If this is
    >somehow connected with A&E, I can almost imagine them releasing butchered
    >episodes "because it's what people here saw on TV".
    >
    >I sure hope they're uncut. This sounded intriguing based upon the news
    >articles, but after finding out they were seriously hacked, I haven't
    >watched it on A&E.

    Since the DVDs are being released here by BBC Video rather than A&E,
    there's no reason to believe that they will be cut. The only question
    I have is what they're going to call it. The title was undoubtedly
    changed for A&E's broadcast because "Spooks" was seen as a politcally
    incorrect term. Will BBC Video follow suit, especially given that the
    show *is* known as "MI-5" over here?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Aug 26, 2003
  9. Matt Ackeret wrote:

    > In article <RBM2b.83157$>,
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >
    >>Frankly The Office is kind of a yawner, don't get your hopes up. One of
    >>those shows that has a handful of funny jokes but the rest is pretty
    >>boring. And Coupling is beneath contempt, it's a rip-off of the
    >>contemptible Friends for crying out loud. When are they going to

    > Did you *watch* Coupling?

    Yes, I saw two episodes and realized what a rip-off of an already
    terrible show it was, and this was before I was aware of the controversy
    surrounding the similarities between the two.

    > I do really like Friends (though Chandler is 90% of the humor), and
    > they are certainly similar, but I think the "British Friends" stance
    > is a bit overblown.
    >
    > Heck, Coupling's at least an R rated Friends, which is maybe PG.

    It doesn't matter how explicit they are, it has nothing to do with that.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 26, 2003
  10. Evil

    Evil Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message news:<RBM2b.83157$>...
    > Evil wrote:
    > > According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    > >
    > > WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    > > sometime later this year.
    > >
    > > i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    > > and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    > > to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    > Frankly The Office is kind of a yawner, don't get your hopes up. One of
    > those shows that has a handful of funny jokes but the rest is pretty
    > boring. And Coupling is beneath contempt, it's a rip-off of the
    > contemptible Friends for crying out loud. When are they going to
    > release Black Books over here? And more Red Dwarf! Only two smegging
    > series a year? They must be mad! What's the hold-up?
    >
    > Is Hetty Wainthropp a BBC show? More Hetty Wainthropp!

    Have you seen this article?

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3177479.stm

    It says basically that BBC will be providing their tv and radio
    broadcasts for public download.

    CoooL.

    Evil, Aug 26, 2003
  11. Evil wrote:
    > Have you seen this article?
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3177479.stm
    >
    > It says basically that BBC will be providing their tv and radio
    > broadcasts for public download.
    >
    > CoooL.

    Sounds like fun, but will it work?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 27, 2003
  12. Evil

    Evil Guest

    Jack Ak <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 25 Aug 2003 15:10:24 -0700, (Evil) wrote:
    >
    > >According to the digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/)
    > >
    > >WB will release THE OFFICE S1 and S2, COUPLING S2, and MI-5 (SPOOKS)
    > >sometime later this year.
    > >
    > >i've been dying to see THE OFFICE since i've heard so much about it
    > >and i enjoy MI-5 (except for that damn A&E bug) and am looking forward
    > >to seeing the uncut 60min versions.

    > The A&E bug is OK. I stopped watching MI-5 when they started keeping
    > the name on screen throughout the whole 42 minutes. I don't need
    > a neon sign telling me the name of the program I'm watching.

    Well, by "A&E bug", i meant that whole A&E/MI-5 bug. It really really sucks.

    Evil, Aug 27, 2003
  13. Evil

    Evil Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:<260820031946266967%>...
    > In article <>, Evil
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in message

    > > > Frankly The Office is kind of a yawner, don't get your hopes up. One of
    > > > those shows that has a handful of funny jokes but the rest is pretty
    > > > boring. And Coupling is beneath contempt, it's a rip-off of the
    > > > contemptible Friends for crying out loud. When are they going to
    > > > release Black Books over here? And more Red Dwarf! Only two smegging
    > > > series a year? They must be mad! What's the hold-up?
    > > >
    > > > Is Hetty Wainthropp a BBC show? More Hetty Wainthropp!

    > > Have you seen this article?
    > >
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3177479.stm
    > >
    > > It says basically that BBC will be providing their tv and radio
    > > broadcasts for public download.
    > >
    > > CoooL.

    > If you have a good connection. With luck it won't effect dvd releases.

    i agree. i hope it doesn't affect dvd releases.

    i also wonder if they will have proper infrastructure for the demand
    when theylaunch. Most likely, they will severely underestimate demand
    and their server(s) will crash.

    This happened in something as popular as fantasy football last year.
    CBSSportsline underestimated demand and their live scoring locked up
    in Week one.

    Evil, Aug 27, 2003
  14. Evil

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    Matthew L. Martin <> wrote:
    >Sure it will work. What will amaze you is how little of interest the
    >Beeb owns.

    Well, they did do that "Spaghetti Trees" April Fools' joke. (That's probably
    already on the web somewhere.)

    I can't tell on imdb, do they own Doctor Who or Blake's 7? (not like I'd
    actually expect those to go out for free..)

    Matt Ackeret, Aug 28, 2003
  15. Matthew L. Martin wrote:

    > Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >
    >> Evil wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have you seen this article?
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3177479.stm
    >>>
    >>> It says basically that BBC will be providing their tv and radio
    >>> broadcasts for public download.
    >>>
    >>> CoooL.

    >> Sounds like fun, but will it work?
    >>

    > Sure it will work. What will amaze you is how little of interest the
    > Beeb owns.
    >
    > Matthew

    Hey, if this means all the Red Dwarf and AYBS? I can handle, anytime I
    want, I don't care if their library is 99% crap.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 28, 2003
  16. Evil

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Matthew L. Martin <> wrote:

    > Sure it will work. What will amaze you is how little of interest the
    > Beeb owns.

    Say WHAT?

    Even (not going into all the gems of drama series and one-offs) aside
    from the entire documentary strand, which shows up just how amateur
    American documentaries (with the exception of a few Ken Burns series,
    and one or two other notables) actually are?!?

    Peter Briggs, Aug 29, 2003
  17. Evil

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <1g0evwx.cqbfyzj1fwsmN%>, Peter
    Briggs <> wrote:

    > Matthew L. Martin <> wrote:
    >
    > > Sure it will work. What will amaze you is how little of interest the
    > > Beeb owns.

    > Say WHAT?
    >
    > Even (not going into all the gems of drama series and one-offs) aside
    > from the entire documentary strand, which shows up just how amateur
    > American documentaries (with the exception of a few Ken Burns series,
    > and one or two other notables) actually are?!?

    But how many of these documentaries do they actually own the rights to,
    as opposed to being co-productions with PBS, CBC, etc?

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Aug 29, 2003
  18. Evil

    PaulW Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    >Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    >
    >> Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >>> Sounds like fun, but will it work?
    >>>

    >> Sure it will work. What will amaze you is how little of interest the
    >> Beeb owns.
    >>
    >> Matthew
    >>

    >Hey, if this means all the Red Dwarf and AYBS? I can handle, anytime I
    >want, I don't care if their library is 99% crap.

    Wish they would release the old 1960s SciFi program Out of the
    Unknown.. or what episodes they have left after the big " chuck out"

    PaulW, Aug 30, 2003
  19. Evil

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    > But how many of these documentaries do they actually own the rights to,
    > as opposed to being co-productions with PBS, CBC, etc?

    That's a very odd question. To answer that, I was in L.A....and saw a
    BBC2 special effects documentary on TV I'd seen a few months
    earlier....which had been dubbed over by an American actor. Very
    peculiar. (Look at the way Branagh's terrific "Walking With Dinosaurs"
    V.O. was mangled by the numbingness of Avery Brooks.)

    The Beeb have a new underwater monster doc ready for release here i the
    next month or so, but the one I'm waiting for is next week, which is all
    about the building of Brunel's "Great Western". Looks pretty good.

    Peter Briggs, Aug 30, 2003
  20. Evil

    arthur wouk Guest

    when we get bbc dvds, they will of course be set for ntsc tvs. what
    other changes over that are to be made for the american audiences?

    i ask because bbc-america hacks british shows to fit an american
    schedule, and censors material. tipping the velvet is an example. each
    episode in britain ran for 1 hour without commercials. the bbc-aerica
    version had each episode running 1 hour including commercials.
    something on the order of 20% of the material was cut. (i checked this
    out on the appropriate uk newsgroups and used imdb's data base to get
    the uk timings. someone who had seen both versions said the sex plus
    some other stuff was cut.)

    i would guess that many 1-hour shows on bbc-america have been cut down
    similarly.

    there are two options - one can get a dvd-payer which has multi-region
    capabilites and order the dvds from amazon-uk or take what is
    released here. i would like to know which direction to pursue.
    --
    a wise person once said "what good is a smart bomb if you have a dumb
    president?" - aaron mcgruder

    to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address

    arthur wouk, Sep 1, 2003