    paying, which, in the case of Sipgate, is absolutely untrue. Just
    adds more fuel to the confusion, already there, for the non-technos.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Brian A

    Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:48:44 GMT, Brian A
    <>, wrote:

    >http://tinyurl.com/m5ru5
    >I didn't think much of this report. They lumped in Sipgate with a lot
    >of computer based, Skype, type providers.
    >They claimed that it wasn't possible to go beyond 'on net' without
    >paying, which, in the case of Sipgate, is absolutely untrue. Just
    >adds more fuel to the confusion, already there, for the non-technos.
    >

    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    I read your post and followed the link with interest.
    I was not surprised to see that call audio quality varies a lot
    but that Skype provides the Best.
    I followed you comment about Sipgate with equal interest.
    I have looked at their service and tariff before. With your remark I
    was hoping to discover a new tariff.
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php?show=1

    Alas it still costs to call any landline :-(

    I assume that you were referring to the ability to call other
    Sip users FOC even if the Sip service was operated by a rival
    provider.

    I presume that the para that you are unhappy about is
    Quote - All the services tested offer free calls between the users of
    that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this
    immediate community meant paying for calls. - end Quote

    As the only FOC calls from Sipgate are Sip I do not see that as
    unfair or inaccurate.

    Wik

    , Jul 13, 2006

  3. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I presume that the para that you are unhappy about is
    > Quote - All the services tested offer free calls between the users of
    > that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this
    > immediate community meant paying for calls. - end Quote
    >
    > As the only FOC calls from Sipgate are Sip I do not see that as
    > unfair or inaccurate.

    It's definitely inacurate.

    Jono, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Brian A

    The Messiah Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    > It's definitely inacurate.

    "All the services tested offer free calls between the users of that
    particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this immediate
    community meant paying for calls."

    Well with Sipgate I can loads of Sip providers for free, not just Sipgate
    customers...

    The Messiah, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    "The Messiah" <> wrote in message

    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> It's definitely inacurate.
    >>

    > "All the services tested offer free calls between the users of that
    > particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this immediate
    > community meant paying for calls."
    >
    > Well with Sipgate I can call loads of Sip providers for free, not just
    > Sipgate customers...

    Exactly.

    Jono, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Brian A

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > "The Messiah" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jono" <> wrote in
    > > message
    > >

    > > > It's definitely inacurate.
    > > >

    > > "All the services tested offer free calls between the
    > > users of that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour,
    > > going beyond this immediate community meant paying for
    > > calls." Well with Sipgate I can call loads of Sip providers for
    > > free, not just Sipgate customers...

    > Exactly.

    I feel a complaint coming on..! Anyone see a link to reply to the authors
    of that so-called "report" as I couldn't see one.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 13, 2006
  7. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:48:06 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> "The Messiah" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Jono" <> wrote in
    >> > message

    >> > "All the services tested offer free calls between the
    >> > users of that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour,
    >> > going beyond this immediate community meant paying for
    >> > calls." Well with Sipgate I can call loads of Sip providers for
    >> > free, not just Sipgate customers...

    >> Exactly.

    >I feel a complaint coming on..! Anyone see a link to reply to the authors
    >of that so-called "report" as I couldn't see one.
    >
    >Ivor

    I sent a message via 'contact us' on the bottom of the page.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jul 13, 2006
  8. Brian A

    Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:37:13 +0100, "The Messiah"
    <>, wrote:

    >"Jono" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> It's definitely inacurate.
    >>

    >"All the services tested offer free calls between the users of that
    >particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this immediate
    >community meant paying for calls."
    >
    >Well with Sipgate I can loads of Sip providers for free, not just Sipgate
    >customers...

    Yes, but that is only to other Sip customers isn't it?
    I am not trying to split hairs. I am trying to discover if I have
    misread something. If I could dial FOC out to non-Sip lines then I
    really would appreciate knowing.

    If it is, as I have read it, FOC to members of the Sip community then
    it is as the news item said. Surely?

    , Jul 13, 2006
  9. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    expressed precisely :
    > On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:37:13 +0100, "The Messiah"
    > <>, wrote:
    >

    >> "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> It's definitely inacurate.
    >>>

    >> "All the services tested offer free calls between the users of that
    >> particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this immediate
    >> community meant paying for calls."
    >>
    >> Well with Sipgate I can loads of Sip providers for free, not just Sipgate
    >> customers...
    >>

    > Yes, but that is only to other Sip customers isn't it?
    > I am not trying to split hairs. I am trying to discover if I have
    > misread something. If I could dial FOC out to non-Sip lines then I
    > really would appreciate knowing.

    No free SIP=>PSTN with Sipgate, no.

    > If it is, as I have read it, FOC to members of the Sip community then
    > it is as the news item said. Surely?

    It seemed to me that it was implying free calls only related to calls
    between users of the same service.....not the same protocol.......in
    fact I've just re-read it & it doesn't just /imply/ it, does it?

    Jono, Jul 13, 2006
  10. Brian A

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote
    in message
    > expressed precisely :

    [snip]

    > > If it is, as I have read it, FOC to members of the Sip
    > > community then it is as the news item said. Surely?

    No.

    > It seemed to me that it was implying free calls only
    > related to calls between users of the same
    > service.....not the same protocol.......in fact I've just
    > re-read it & it doesn't just /imply/ it, does it?

    It states it. I have accounts on Sipgate UK, Sipgate DE, FreeWorldDialup
    and Gradwell and I can call between any of them for free. If you use a
    service such as SIPbroker you can call even more providers' customers
    free. You can also dial direct to the other person's IP address. The
    article is totally misleading.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 13, 2006
  11. Brian A

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-07-13, Brian A <> wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/m5ru5
    > I didn't think much of this report. They lumped in Sipgate with a lot
    > of computer based, Skype, type providers.
    > They claimed that it wasn't possible to go beyond 'on net' without
    > paying, which, in the case of Sipgate, is absolutely untrue. Just
    > adds more fuel to the confusion, already there, for the non-technos.

    What appears to be the original article is on www.which.co.uk. Under
    Reports and Campaigns there is Audio Visual, which leads to VOIP in the
    Phones section. It's obviously much more detailed than the BBC news
    item so there is more there to form a balanced opinion.

    Brian.

    Brian, Jul 14, 2006