BBC:Net phone service rules announced

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    "Net phone service rules announced"

    I think we all knew that this was to come about. Personally I think
    Ofcom could spend their time on much more important things concerning
    voip.
    Vonage, in my view, raised an important issue. In essence: Why should
    people have to pay for a landline telephone service that they don't
    want just because they need a line to carry broadband.
    VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
    broadband only, product.
    I did write to Ofcom, some time ago, to ask what, if anything, they
    were doing about this. I didn't get a reply.
    It could be that the maintenence costs are such that lines can't be
    offered much cheaper, but I would really like Ofcom to look into this.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 29, 2007

  2. Brian A

    Mark Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:09:14 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >"Net phone service rules announced"
    >
    >I think we all knew that this was to come about. Personally I think
    >Ofcom could spend their time on much more important things concerning
    >voip.
    >Vonage, in my view, raised an important issue. In essence: Why should
    >people have to pay for a landline telephone service that they don't
    >want just because they need a line to carry broadband.
    >VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
    >broadband only, product.
    >I did write to Ofcom, some time ago, to ask what, if anything, they
    >were doing about this. I didn't get a reply.
    >It could be that the maintenence costs are such that lines can't be
    >offered much cheaper, but I would really like Ofcom to look into this.

    The answer to your question is in Ofcom's VoIP pronouncements today:

    "8.14. Ofcom understands that BT has received at least two requests
    for a naked DSL product (or similar) through the Statement of
    Requirement (SoR) process36. Ofcom’s current view is that industry is
    best placed to agree requirements for the provision of any such
    product. As stated previously, Ofcom continues to have dialogue with
    stakeholders in order to understand their views and is monitoring
    progress of discussions between BT and industry over provision of such
    a product."

    The cost is one of the sticking points and is probably where Ofcom
    might have a view.

    Mark, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Brian A

    Graham Guest

    Ofcom plans to consult later this year on whether net phone services should
    be forced to provide access to emergency services.

    As I use Sipgate and Betamax I have this mental picture of a queue of fire
    engines and ambulances waiting to embark at Zeebrugge.

    --

    Graham.

    %:profound_observation%

    Graham, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Brian A

    Tim Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
    > broadband only, product.

    Yes there is.

    http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Brian A

    Soruk Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:52:33 +0100, Tim <> wrote:
    >Brian A wrote:
    >> VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
    >> broadband only, product.

    >Yes there is.
    >
    >http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

    Yes, but the monthly charge for that line is the same as one which also
    has voice service.

    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email

    Soruk, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Brian A

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:52:33 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
    >> broadband only, product.

    >Yes there is.
    >
    >http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

    And no cheaper than a BT line on which calls can be made .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    Graham wrote:

    > Ofcom plans to consult later this year on whether net phone services
    > should be forced to provide access to emergency services.
    >
    > As I use Sipgate and Betamax I have this mental picture of a queue of fire
    > engines and ambulances waiting to embark at Zeebrugge.

    Don't be ridiculous. You'd get a fire extinguisher with an ethernet port.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    Yes. I'm just guessing.

    alexd, Mar 30, 2007
  8. On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:26:56 +0100, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >Ofcom plans to consult later this year on whether net phone services should
    >be forced to provide access to emergency services.

    Irrelevant to the basic "phone line charges" for an IP only service,
    but a major topic of discussion over-the-pond - especially with local
    vs. FCC and geo-location stuff...

    Stuart Millington, Mar 31, 2007
  9. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:22:34 +0100, -ip.co.uk wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:52:33 +0100, Tim <> wrote:
    >
    >>Brian A wrote:
    >>> VirginMedia does this but there is no other competitor with a similar,
    >>> broadband only, product.

    >>Yes there is.
    >>
    >>http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html
    >>

    >And no cheaper than a BT line on which calls can be made .

    As a point of interest, in Australia the line rental is about
    £8/month*. You only need to look at the wide roads and bigger, U.S.
    style, housing layouts, particularly in the suburbs, to realise that
    the line lengths will also be much longer and thus have potential for
    greater maintenance costs. So, that is £36/year less than the UK
    charge and a phone service is still provided.
    (*Telstra $19.95, Optus Basic $19.00)
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 31, 2007
  10. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > As a point of interest, in Australia the line rental is about
    > £8/month*. You only need to look at the wide roads and bigger, U.S.
    > style, housing layouts, particularly in the suburbs, to realise that
    > the line lengths will also be much longer and thus have potential for
    > greater maintenance costs. So, that is £36/year less than the UK
    > charge and a phone service is still provided.

    What is the difference once you take into account the relative purchasing
    power of AUD in Australia and GBP in the UK?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:41:50 up 1 day, 3:28, 2 users, load average: 0.48, 0.60, 0.57

    alexd, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Brian A

    Tim Guest

    Soruk wrote:

    >> http://aaisp.net.uk/pstn.html

    > Yes, but the monthly charge for that line is the same as one which also
    > has voice service.

    It is a bit cheaper for business lines.

    For a business line, the cheapest from BT is 38.99 per quarter. So 13
    pounds a month.
    aaisp is 10 pounds a month.

    All +VAT.

    For a home line, BT option 1 is 28.07 per quarter, assuming direct
    debit. 9.36 per month. aaisp is 9.35 per month.

    So neither here nor there for residential lines. Depends if you trust
    BT to not screw your direct debit.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 31, 2007
  12. Brian A

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:14:42 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >So neither here nor there for residential lines. Depends if you trust
    >BT to not screw your direct debit.

    BT IS the only company I have NOT had any problems with regarding
    DD's .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 31, 2007