BBC: Microsoft plans telephone service

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:09:50 +0100, AD C <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, no_spam_bca1000
    >@hotmail.com says...
    >> bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >>

    >Oh dear, that is not good.
    >You be part way though your conversation and realise that someone else
    >is also listening, because of the lack of security, then you will have
    >to wait for a service pack to get it right.
    >The other problem you may get is some way into your conversation, you
    >will get a spoken message like "the phone service have caused an error,
    >we are sorry for the inconvenience"

    When you have used it then criticize it if you must and not before .

    , Aug 30, 2005

  2. Brian A Guest

    Brian A, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Ian Guest

    Re: Microsoft plans telephone service

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    > http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    I dont know about plans, They allready have bought a voip company called
    Teleo.
    I believe the ideais to include it under the MSN brand

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Me Guest

    Re: Microsoft plans telephone service

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:14:09 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >I dont know about plans, They allready have bought a voip company called
    >Teleo.

    You clearly didn't read the article first then Ian!

    Me

    Me, Aug 31, 2005
  5. AD C Guest

    In article <>, no_spam_bca1000
    @hotmail.com says...

    AD C, Aug 31, 2005
  6. Ian Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:14:09 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > >> bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    > >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    > >I dont know about plans, They allready have bought a voip company called
    > >Teleo.

    > You clearly didn't read the article first then Ian!

    Not the BBC one as theirs are always simplified. I had read
    http://tinyurl.com/a6pop early this morning which is a bit more in depth

    By buying teleo they now have a voip company what they are planning to do is
    incorperate it into MSN.

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 31, 2005
  7. AD C wrote:
    > In article <>, no_spam_bca1000
    > @hotmail.com says...
    >
    >>bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    >>http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    >>Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >>

    > Oh dear, that is not good.
    > You be part way though your conversation and realise that someone else
    > is also listening, because of the lack of security, then you will have
    > to wait for a service pack to get it right.
    > The other problem you may get is some way into your conversation, you
    > will get a spoken message like "the phone service have caused an error,
    > we are sorry for the inconvenience"

    Nah, they're more likely to release it in a year or two, then claim that
    they invented voip.

    Thomas Rankin, Aug 31, 2005
  8. JPG Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:27:35 +0100, wrote:

    >On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:09:50 +0100, AD C <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, no_spam_bca1000
    >>@hotmail.com says...
    >>> bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    >>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >>>

    >>Oh dear, that is not good.
    >>You be part way though your conversation and realise that someone else
    >>is also listening, because of the lack of security, then you will have
    >>to wait for a service pack to get it right.
    >>The other problem you may get is some way into your conversation, you
    >>will get a spoken message like "the phone service have caused an error,
    >>we are sorry for the inconvenience"

    >When you have used it then criticize it if you must and not before .

    Why should Micro$oft be immune from a few jibes based on their past record?
    They have truly earned it. Only now, after about 20 years, do they have a
    reasonably stable GUI OS.

    JPG, Aug 31, 2005
  9. Geo Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:20:28 +0100, JPG <> wrote:

    >Why should Micro$oft be immune from a few jibes based on their past record?
    >They have truly earned it. Only now, after about 20 years, do they have a
    >reasonably stable GUI OS.

    Oh good - is there a proposed release date??
    Geo

    Geo, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Sparks Guest

    "AD C" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, no_spam_bca1000
    > @hotmail.com says...
    >> bbc: Microsoft plans telephone service
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ac3je
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >>

    > Oh dear, that is not good.
    > You be part way though your conversation and realise that someone else
    > is also listening, because of the lack of security, then you will have
    > to wait for a service pack to get it right.
    > The other problem you may get is some way into your conversation, you
    > will get a spoken message like "the phone service have caused an error,
    > we are sorry for the inconvenience"

    ....We will end up having to press * # and Recall to reset the phone, then
    it'll take 5 minutes to boot, because it will have to run Windows CE
    SmartVoIPPhone Edition!!

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Aug 31, 2005
  11. Geo <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:20:28 +0100, JPG <> wrote:
    >
    > >Why should Micro$oft be immune from a few jibes based on their past record?
    > >They have truly earned it. Only now, after about 20 years, do they have a
    > >reasonably stable GUI OS.

    > Oh good - is there a proposed release date??
    > Geo

    Only when they start making vacuum cleaners will Microsoft have a
    product that doesn't suck!

    Vernon Quaintance, Sep 1, 2005
  12. AD C Guest

    In article <5ijRe.39$>,
    says...

    > Nah, they're more likely to release it in a year or two, then claim that
    > they invented voip.

    Oh yes, like they are going to change the name of RSS and no doubt say
    they invented it.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005
  13. AD C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > When you have used it then criticize it if you must and not before .

    It is Microsoft, they are there to be criticised. come on, you only have
    to look at their software to see what well happen.
    Microsoft have not made one bit of software that do not have security
    flaws or that don't crash. How the hell they got where they are, I don't
    know.
    Just proves that even rubbish can do well.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005
  14. AD C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Why should Micro$oft be immune from a few jibes based on their past record?
    > They have truly earned it. Only now, after about 20 years, do they have a
    > reasonably stable GUI OS.

    Are you sure about that? every time I install some new software these
    last few weeks, the computer decides it don't want to restart.
    the only way I can get it to restart is to stick it in safe mode and
    then restart it in normal mode.

    I just come back from a mates place, he turned his computer off this
    morning and when he switched it back on, it kept resetting.

    Why? Nothing have changed, and that only way he could stop it was to
    press f8 and use the start with last known good configuration option.

    That is not a sign of a stable OS system, I do admit that XP is better
    than ME, but then that is not difficult.

    I really am getting fed up with Microsoft and if the software I wanted
    to use was available on Linux, then I change over completely tomorrow.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005
  15. AD C Guest

    In article <1h26srk.1v81yru10kfj40N%>,
    says...

    > Only when they start making vacuum cleaners will Microsoft have a
    > product that doesn't suck!

    Lol, that was a good one.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005
  16. AD C Guest

    In article <43162df8$0$38039$>,
    lid says...

    > ...We will end up having to press * # and Recall to reset the phone, then
    > it'll take 5 minutes to boot, because it will have to run Windows CE
    > SmartVoIPPhone Edition!!

    It makes me laugh that Bt is going to use windows base set top boxes for
    their TV over IP systenm. Still they both deserve each other.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005
  17. adamc Guest

    On 2005-09-01, AD C <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Why should Micro$oft be immune from a few jibes based on their past record?
    >> They have truly earned it. Only now, after about 20 years, do they have a
    >> reasonably stable GUI OS.
    >>

    > Are you sure about that? every time I install some new software these
    > last few weeks, the computer decides it don't want to restart.
    > the only way I can get it to restart is to stick it in safe mode and
    > then restart it in normal mode.
    >
    > I just come back from a mates place, he turned his computer off this
    > morning and when he switched it back on, it kept resetting.
    >

    > I really am getting fed up with Microsoft and if the software I wanted
    > to use was available on Linux, then I change over completely tomorrow.

    What software is it you want to use that stops you from using Linux?

    Adam

    --
    PGP key: 7111B833

    adamc, Sep 1, 2005
  18. Peter Guest

    AD C <> wrote:
    [...]
    > I really am getting fed up with Microsoft and if the software I
    > wanted to use was available on Linux, then I change over completely
    > tomorrow.

    There is the alternative possibility that the software you want is
    available for OSX.

    --
    I like children. If they're properly cooked.
    - W.C. Fields

    Peter, Sep 1, 2005
  19. AD C Guest

    In article <df7fvg$jg6$>,
    says...
    > > I really am getting fed up with Microsoft and if the software I wanted
    > > to use was available on Linux, then I change over completely tomorrow.
    > >

    > What software is it you want to use that stops you from using Linux?

    I do use Linux now and again, but not much.
    I need decent video editing software, decent audio editing software. the
    other problem is that one of my printers do not have Linux drivers and
    how ever much I try, I can not get my wireless network card to work in
    Linux.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005
  20. AD C Guest

    In article <43174a7e$0$525$>,
    says...
    > AD C <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > I really am getting fed up with Microsoft and if the software I
    > > wanted to use was available on Linux, then I change over completely
    > > tomorrow.

    > There is the alternative possibility that the software you want is
    > available for OSX.

    That means getting another computer, something that I am not willing to
    do for another couple of years.

    My machine is a 2500 Athlon, with 1Gb of ram and almost 1Gb of storage
    on the hard drives. How ever much I like the MAC, it will never have the
    same power and it certainly not be able to cope with the storage, unless
    it is external or I get one of the very expensive macs.

    I do like the MAc, but it do not offer good value for money, compared to
    a P.C.

    AD C, Sep 1, 2005