    --
    Dave Croft
    Warrington

    Dave Croft, Jan 16, 2008

  2. "Dave Croft" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just found this service & thought it would be ideal for a USA friend of
    >mine to view good UK TV.
    > See http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
    > When he tries to install the program it says UK users only.
    > Does anyone know of a method for overseas people to get at the program?

    It's blocked by IP ranges. He could use a UK proxy, but it is unlikely that
    speeds will be good enough for streaming.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Dave  Croft

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave Croft" <> wrote in message
    >>I just found this service & thought it would be ideal for a USA friend of
    >>mine to view good UK TV.
    >> See http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
    >> When he tries to install the program it says UK users only.
    >> Does anyone know of a method for overseas people to get at the program?

    > It's blocked by IP ranges. He could use a UK proxy, but it is unlikely
    > that speeds will be good enough for streaming.

    The iPlayer allows programs to be downloaded (and then played). So provided
    he can tolerate downloading first, a proxy might be a solution. (Assuming of
    course that the beeb haven't blocked the use of proxies and that it simply a
    block on ip ranges.)
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Dave  Croft

    ded Guest

    "Dave Croft" <> wrote in message
    >I just found this service & thought it would be ideal for a USA friend of
    >mine to view good UK TV.
    > See http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
    > When he tries to install the program it says UK users only.
    > Does anyone know of a method for overseas people to get at the program?
    > TIA
    > --
    > Dave Croft
    > Warrington

    Your stateside friend could try BBC America and BBC World.
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/169/worldhome.jsp
    http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/default.aspx
    http://www.bbcworldwide.com/

    But, if you want to try proxy, I doubt it will work and that the beeb
    blocks proxy servers? But you could try http://www.your-freedom.net/
    I think iPlayer is currently only available to UK license holders.
    A TV license is something unique to the UK and is for the funding
    of the BBC as a non commercial broadcaster. So if anyone in UK
    is viewing iPlayer but dosen't hold a current license, technically they
    maybe breaking UK law?

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  5. Dave  Croft

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-16, ded <> wrote:

    > "Dave Croft" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > A TV license is something unique to the UK and is for the funding
    > of the BBC as a non commercial broadcaster. So if anyone in UK
    > is viewing iPlayer but dosen't hold a current license, technically they
    > maybe breaking UK law?

    It's a fine distinction, but I think the official position is that if you
    are viewing (or receiving to record it yourself) 'in real time' as the
    programme is being broadcast, you need a TV licence regardless of what
    method you use to receive the programme. But if you download the file
    after broadcast or acquire it in some other way (such as tape or disc) and
    view it 'later', you don't need a TV licence. That applies whether the
    programme comes from the BBC or anyone else.

    This suggests that using the "iPlayer", you don't actually need a TV
    licence. The restriction of access to it to people in the UK only, is
    something to do with copyright agreements with the various
    content-providers (much of what the BBC broadcasts these days is not
    produced in-house and the original creators may well want to be able to
    consider other distribution arrangements in other countries rather than
    sell the BBC 'global rights').

    The current licencing regulations were devised before it was possible to
    'stream' live TV or Radio over the internet, so the rules could change to
    match current technology when our dear leaders get around to it.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 16, 2008
  6. Dave  Croft

    ded Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2008-01-16, ded <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Dave Croft" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    >
    >> A TV license is something unique to the UK and is for the funding
    >> of the BBC as a non commercial broadcaster. So if anyone in UK
    >> is viewing iPlayer but dosen't hold a current license, technically they
    >> maybe breaking UK law?

    > It's a fine distinction, but I think the official position is that if you
    > are viewing (or receiving to record it yourself) 'in real time' as the
    > programme is being broadcast, you need a TV licence regardless of what
    > method you use to receive the programme. But if you download the file
    > after broadcast or acquire it in some other way (such as tape or disc) and
    > view it 'later', you don't need a TV licence. That applies whether the
    > programme comes from the BBC or anyone else.
    >
    > This suggests that using the "iPlayer", you don't actually need a TV
    > licence. The restriction of access to it to people in the UK only, is
    > something to do with copyright agreements with the various
    > content-providers (much of what the BBC broadcasts these days is not
    > produced in-house and the original creators may well want to be able to
    > consider other distribution arrangements in other countries rather than
    > sell the BBC 'global rights').
    >
    > The current licencing regulations were devised before it was possible to
    > 'stream' live TV or Radio over the internet, so the rules could change to
    > match current technology when our dear leaders get around to it.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    You're probably right, it was just guesswork on my part as to why iPlayer
    content seems to be location restricted.

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  7. Dave  Croft

    rwmail

    Joined: