BBC going with P2P

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Zipper, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Zipper, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Zipper

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Dec 20, 2006

  3. Zipper

    Mutlley Guest

    Earl Grey <> wrote:

    >Zipper wrote:
    >>
    >> "Hundreds of episodes of BBC programmes will be made available on a
    >> file-sharing network for the first time, the corporation has announced."

    >I guess that we will be excluded on moral grounds by those who think
    >they know what is best for us.
    >
    >http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/781a26e5af5e7b15?dmode=source&hl=en

    "The titles will be protected by digital rights management software to
    prevent the programmes being traded illegally on the internet."

    Does that mean view on PC only?? If so forget it. I want to be able
    to put these on a DVD and watch in the comfort of my lounge..

    Mutlley, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Zipper

    Phil Guest

    Zipper wrote, On 21/12/06 9.09 a:

    > "Hundreds of episodes of BBC programmes will be made available on a
    > file-sharing network for the first time, the corporation has announced."

    I thought this was part of the reason why they were developing Kamaelia,
    even integrating Bittorrent with it?

    -Phil

    Phil, Dec 21, 2006
  5. Zipper

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Earl Grey <> wrote:
    >
    > > Zipper wrote:
    > > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6194929.stm
    > > >
    > > > "Hundreds of episodes of BBC programmes will be made available on
    > > > a file-sharing network for the first time, the corporation has
    > > > announced."

    > > I guess that we will be excluded on moral grounds by those who think
    > > they know what is best for us.
    > >
    > > http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/781a26e5af5e7b15?dmode=source&hl=en

    > "The titles will be protected by digital rights management software to
    > prevent the programmes being traded illegally on the internet."
    >
    > Does that mean view on PC only?? If so forget it. I want to be able
    > to put these on a DVD and watch in the comfort of my lounge..

    I guess it all depends on what software/OS you use.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2006
  6. Zipper

    steve Guest

    Zipper wrote:

    > "Hundreds of episodes of BBC programmes will be made available on a
    > file-sharing network for the first time, the corporation has announced."

    DRM-encumbered, Windows-only....and maybe geographically limited too.

    Quote:

    "The new deal means that users of the software will be able to download
    high-quality versions of BBC programmes, including Red Dwarf, Doctor Who
    and the League of Gentleman. Classic series such as Fawlty Towers will also
    be available through a BBC "channel".

    The titles will be protected by digital rights management software to
    prevent the programmes being traded illegally on the internet.

    "This will be a very different experience from traditional file-sharing
    networks," said Gilles BianRosa, CEO of Azureus."

    No kidding.....crippled and nowhere near as good.

    --
    Only boring people are bored.

    steve, Dec 21, 2006
  7. Zipper

    Earl Grey Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:

    >> "Hundreds of episodes of BBC programmes will be made available on a
    >> file-sharing network for the first time, the corporation has announced."

    > DRM-encumbered, Windows-only....and maybe geographically limited too.
    >
    > Quote:
    >
    > "The new deal means that users of the software will be able to download
    > high-quality versions of BBC programmes, including Red Dwarf, Doctor Who
    > and the League of Gentleman. Classic series such as Fawlty Towers will also
    > be available through a BBC "channel".
    >
    > The titles will be protected by digital rights management software to
    > prevent the programmes being traded illegally on the internet.
    >
    > "This will be a very different experience from traditional file-sharing
    > networks," said Gilles BianRosa, CEO of Azureus."
    >

    > No kidding.....crippled and nowhere near as good.

    They have to start somewhere
    Its probably not competitive with
    http://www.torrentspy.com/search?query=bbc&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

    Earl Grey, Dec 21, 2006
  8. In message <>, steve wrote:

    > No kidding.....crippled and nowhere near as good.

    Yet another movie download service sucks ... dog bites man ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 21, 2006