    restriction?

    I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
    should show some respect.
    meau, Jul 19, 2008

  2. meau

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:39:05 +0200, meau <uhuuu@spam> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that
    >when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.
    >
    >Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this
    >restriction?
    >
    >I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
    >should show some respect.

    This is not a computer security issue

    It is a rights issue. The BBC may not own the rights
    to show this programme outside the UK so they restrict
    access to their programming to IP's geographically
    located in the UK.

    Similarly they restrict their satellite broadcasting to
    transponders that in theory only give coverage of the UK

    You can subscribe to services that get round this as
    the chances of finding an open proxy you can use are
    low.

    If you maintain a UK address, you can always install
    your own streaming equipment there and watch terrestial
    UK television via the Internet.

    www.slingmedia.com/

    There again most of it is rubbish anyway.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Tim Jackson <> wrote:

    > The BBC is funded by the television licence fee in the UK, which is to
    > all intents and purposes a tax levied on all television users.

    But it's only levied on TV users IN THE UK. So, anybody abroad isn't
    paying TV license fees to the UK, and hence cannot expect to watch
    their contents.

    Lucky bastards... in Germany we have to pay TV licenses, too, but
    EVERYBODY can watch the programms. Then again - it's German television,
    free might still be too much ;-)

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
    Juergen Nieveler, Jul 21, 2008