    Down - 20Mbps
    Up - 1Mbps

    So double, it seems. Which is correct?

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 4, 2009

  2. Zu Arsschlaark!

    chuckcar Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in
    news:3wiIm.40320$2:

    > I was just doing a speedtest through thinkbroadband.com.
    >
    > It shows,
    >
    > Down - 9.1 Mbps
    > Up - 0.5 Mbps
    >
    > Which is supposedly what Im paying for.
    >
    > I was looking at the installed tbbmeter program (available on said site)
    > while it was doing the speedtest and the program shows,
    >
    > Down - 20Mbps
    > Up - 1Mbps
    >
    > So double, it seems. Which is correct?

    What does the webage from your modem say? typically this is 192.168.2.1,
    but the actual number in your case can be found easily.

    If your computer is connected directly to the modem, then open a dos
    window and type:

    tracert www.microsoft.com

    you will get an output like this:
    C:\WINDOWS>tracert www.microsoft.com

    Tracing route to lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [65.55.21.250]
    er a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 192.168.2.1
    ..
    ..
    ..
    8 58 ms 56 ms 57 ms Peering-MSN [64.230.187.98]
    9 58 ms 58 ms 56 ms 209.240.199.194]
    0 59 ms 57 ms 57 ms ge-0-0-0-0.nyc-64cb-1b.ntwk.msn.net [207.46.47.1]
    1 122 ms 120 ms 126 ms ge-0-1-0-0.co1-64c-1b.ntwk.msn.net [207.46.43.17]

    That number on the end of the first line is what you want.

    Now type

    http://192.168.2.1 (in my case, your number may be different as I said)

    Somewhere in that page there's a link to the connection statistics. That
    will give you the speed among other things. This information should have
    been provided by your ISP when you first signed up.

    There you can find what you can *actually* get in speed. This *can* be
    lower than what you actually pay for but is never higher. The speed test
    websites just measure this by sending data to you and vice versa. What you
    see from the router is the actual setting.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 4, 2009

  3. Zu Arsschlaark!

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:05:54 -0000, Zu Arsschlaark! wrote:

    >I was just doing a speedtest through thinkbroadband.com.

    So this was from what country to which other?

    Ah VM in the UK to some other server at an unspecified time of day.

    >It shows,
    >
    >Down - 9.1 Mbps
    >Up - 0.5 Mbps
    >
    >Which is supposedly what Im paying for.

    You would need to know the package you are on,
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php
    Assuming L 20Mbps down and 768kbps up.

    Or where exNTL fitted into the list.

    >I was looking at the installed tbbmeter program (available on said site)
    >while it was doing the speedtest and the program shows,
    >
    >Down - 20Mbps
    >Up - 1Mbps
    >
    >So double, it seems. Which is correct?

    Depends on package, time of day server locations, what the 2 tests are
    actually doing a test on....

    If you are reporting a fault in the service, report it in the newsgroup
    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

    Otherwise,
    virginmedia.users.self-help.networking
    virginmedia.users.self-help

    Have a look through the newsgroups for similar posts, tech support
    usually suggest (not that I follow the groups much now) -

    Multiple traceroutes to www.bbc.co.uk , download multiple files from a
    VM ftp server IIRC. This tends to avoid the off VM network speed issues.

    Me

    why?, Nov 4, 2009
  4. "No Spam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3wiIm.40320$2>
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:
    >
    >>thinkbroadband.com

    > That was probably one of the most inaccurate speed test sites that I
    > have ever used.
    >
    > It reported wrong speeds totally that three other web sites agree on for
    > my connection.
    >
    > I suggest that you use http://www.speedtest.net/ for more accurate and
    > in depth testing and troubleshooting of your connection speed.

    ^ Same result as on thinkbroadband.com.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 4, 2009
  5. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:05:54 -0000, Zu Arsschlaark! wrote:
    >
    >>I was just doing a speedtest through thinkbroadband.com.

    > So this was from what country to which other?
    >
    > Ah VM in the UK to some other server at an unspecified time of day.

    I was assuming the tests were done in the UK from that site, could be wrong?
    But I did several tests at different times, they were always consistant..

    >>It shows,
    >>
    >>Down - 9.1 Mbps
    >>Up - 0.5 Mbps
    >>
    >>Which is supposedly what Im paying for.

    > You would need to know the package you are on,
    > http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php
    > Assuming L 20Mbps down and 768kbps up.

    I have 10Mbps down, 512kbps up, actually. Thats the "L" package.

    > Or where exNTL fitted into the list.

    exNTL oooh its a stigma, apparently!

    >>I was looking at the installed tbbmeter program (available on said site)
    >>while it was doing the speedtest and the program shows,
    >>
    >>Down - 20Mbps
    >>Up - 1Mbps
    >>
    >>So double, it seems. Which is correct?

    > Depends on package, time of day server locations, what the 2 tests are
    > actually doing a test on....
    >
    > If you are reporting a fault in the service, report it in the newsgroup
    > virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
    >
    > Otherwise,
    > virginmedia.users.self-help.networking
    > virginmedia.users.self-help
    >
    > Have a look through the newsgroups for similar posts, tech support
    > usually suggest (not that I follow the groups much now) -

    Ok thanks, looks like theres avenues to explore ..

    > Multiple traceroutes to www.bbc.co.uk , download multiple files from a
    > VM ftp server IIRC. This tends to avoid the off VM network speed issues.
    >
    > Me

    Not sure i understood that but thanks anyway.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 4, 2009
  6. "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in
    >

    >> I was just doing a speedtest through thinkbroadband.com.
    >>
    >> It shows,
    >>
    >> Down - 9.1 Mbps
    >> Up - 0.5 Mbps
    >>
    >> Which is supposedly what Im paying for.
    >>
    >> I was looking at the installed tbbmeter program (available on said site)
    >> while it was doing the speedtest and the program shows,
    >>
    >> Down - 20Mbps
    >> Up - 1Mbps
    >>
    >> So double, it seems. Which is correct?
    >>

    > What does the webage from your modem say? typically this is 192.168.2.1,
    > but the actual number in your case can be found easily.
    >
    > If your computer is connected directly to the modem, then open a dos
    > window and type:
    >
    > tracert www.microsoft.com
    >
    > you will get an output like this:
    > C:\WINDOWS>tracert www.microsoft.com
    >
    > Tracing route to lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [65.55.21.250]
    > er a maximum of 30 hops:
    >
    > 1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 192.168.2.1
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > 8 58 ms 56 ms 57 ms Peering-MSN [64.230.187.98]
    > 9 58 ms 58 ms 56 ms 209.240.199.194]
    > 0 59 ms 57 ms 57 ms ge-0-0-0-0.nyc-64cb-1b.ntwk.msn.net
    > [207.46.47.1]
    > 1 122 ms 120 ms 126 ms ge-0-1-0-0.co1-64c-1b.ntwk.msn.net
    > [207.46.43.17]
    >
    > That number on the end of the first line is what you want.
    >
    > Now type
    >
    > http://192.168.2.1 (in my case, your number may be different as I said)
    >
    > Somewhere in that page there's a link to the connection statistics. That
    > will give you the speed among other things. This information should have
    > been provided by your ISP when you first signed up.
    >
    > There you can find what you can *actually* get in speed. This *can* be
    > lower than what you actually pay for but is never higher. The speed test
    > websites just measure this by sending data to you and vice versa. What you
    > see from the router is the actual setting.
    >

    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    Yeh I got the numbers up but it didnt seem to do anything in the browser?
    I dont have an actual router, just the cable model, maybe thats why.
    Thanks anyway.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 4, 2009
  7. Zu Arsschlaark!

    chuckcar Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in

    >> There you can find what you can *actually* get in speed. This *can* be
    >> lower than what you actually pay for but is never higher. The speed
    >> test websites just measure this by sending data to you and vice versa.
    >> What you see from the router is the actual setting.

    > Yeh I got the numbers up but it didnt seem to do anything in the
    > browser? I dont have an actual router, just the cable modem

    Ok then, perhaps it works different. I've seen some variation. Did you get
    any books from Highwinds when you signed up?

    Same difference. Router, Cable modem. The only difference is that one can
    connect to a ADSL phone line.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 5, 2009
  8. Zu Arsschlaark!

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in

    >>> There you can find what you can *actually* get in speed. This *can* be
    >>> lower than what you actually pay for but is never higher. The speed
    >>> test websites just measure this by sending data to you and vice versa.
    >>> What you see from the router is the actual setting.

    >> Yeh I got the numbers up but it didnt seem to do anything in the
    >> browser? I dont have an actual router, just the cable modem

    > Ok then, perhaps it works different. I've seen some variation. Did you get
    > any books from Highwinds when you signed up?
    >
    > Same difference. Router, Cable modem. The only difference is that one can
    > connect to a ADSL phone line.

    ROFL!
    <COUGH> <SPLUTTER>
    <Wipes coffee off screen and keyboard>

    You bastard! You owe me a new keyboard for that!

    At least you give me a good laugh first thing so you are good for something.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 5, 2009