    my computer closes an reboots. ( I'm usung a different machine and
    dial up to post this) I've run AVG but it found nothing. Can anyone
    out there suggest what to do next?
    Tonfen, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Tonfen

    MJP Guest

    "Tonfen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Help! Last night I installed a broadband connection and foolishly
    > allowed my daughter to use MSN without a firewall and seem to have
    > picked up something nasty. Every time that I connect to the internet
    > my computer closes an reboots. ( I'm usung a different machine and
    > dial up to post this) I've run AVG but it found nothing. Can anyone
    > out there suggest what to do next?

    First thing to try is to turn off automatic restart on system failure.
    Control panel / system / advanced /startup and recovery settings.. This may
    give you the opportunity to read the system log.

    MJP
    MJP, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Tonfen

    old man Guest

    http://www.pchell.com/virus/msblast.shtml

    old man, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Tonfen

    Tonfen Guest

    Thanks MJP. I turned off the automatic restart but I dont know how to
    read a system log or how this helps to get rid of a vius.
    Tonfen, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Tonfen

    MJP Guest

    "Tonfen" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks MJP. I turned off the automatic restart but I dont know how to
    > read a system log or how this helps to get rid of a vius.

    As someone has already suggested looks like the blaster worm. If the system
    is up to date with microsoft updates this should protect you from the
    blaster worm.

    There are numerous fixes around.

    FYI to view the system logs Control panel /Administrative tools / Computer
    Management /Event viewer.

    MJP
    MJP, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Tonfen

    Tonfen Guest

    I thought "Blaster" as soon as the machine started acting up. We were
    infected by it about a year back but this doesnt show the "countdown"
    dialog which, I think I remember was typical of all the varients. In
    the Task Manager I cant see MSBLAST.EXE ----- ENBIEL.EXE etc.
    I did open the event viwer as you suggested. It has logged events
    between 16.51 on 24/02 and 19.02 today. What do I look for now ?
    Tonfen, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Tonfen

    MJP Guest

    "Tonfen" <> wrote in message
    >I thought "Blaster" as soon as the machine started acting up. We were
    > infected by it about a year back but this doesnt show the "countdown"
    > dialog which, I think I remember was typical of all the varients. In
    > the Task Manager I cant see MSBLAST.EXE ----- ENBIEL.EXE etc.
    > I did open the event viwer as you suggested. It has logged events
    > between 16.51 on 24/02 and 19.02 today. What do I look for now ?

    Look at all three logs in turn i.e. application, security and system.

    Highlight by type ie. error, warning and information. See what you can glean
    from them, probably most useful to start with the red flagged error
    messages..
    MJP, Mar 3, 2006
  8. Tonfen

    Tonfen Guest

    Nothing in security. Records of AVG running in application. In system
    hundreds of error messages every few seconds whenever the machine was
    connected to the internet. They are all "Access denied attempting to
    launch a DCOMserver using a DefaultLaunchPremission." Most of the time
    the user is Unavailable/Unavailable but sometimes it is Anonymous
    Logon/ NT Authority. Is this a dialler at work? The 'NT Authority' is
    horribly suggestive of Blaster. Whe do I go from here?
    Tonfen, Mar 3, 2006
  9. Tonfen

    Tonfen Guest

    You there MJP ?
    Tonfen, Mar 4, 2006
  10. Tonfen

    old man Guest

    old man, Mar 4, 2006
  11. Tonfen

    MJP Guest

    MJP, Mar 4, 2006
  12. Tonfen

    Tonfen Guest

    Hi MJP,

    Just wanted to leave a note to say thanks for all your help. I realy
    appreciated it bus have'nt been able to say thank you until now.

    Tonfen
    Tonfen, Mar 15, 2006