baym-td2.msgr.hotmail.com

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paul, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Can someone explain why my computer is talking to hotmail.com?

    My Firewall shows the following:
    ---
    Process:svchost.exe
    Protocol:UDP
    Local port:1029
    Status:Open (outbound)
    Remote IP address:64.4.25.82 (baym-td2.msgr.hotmail.com)
    Remote port:3544 (teredo)
    Interface:[1] Realtek...
    Time:28/10/2004 10:12:57 p.m.
    ---

    Could it be "Messenger", that service that runs in the background on
    Windows XP Pro?

    And if so, why?

    Cheers
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2004

  2. It seems like Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:22:06 +1300 was when Paul
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Could it be "Messenger", that service that runs in the background on
    >Windows XP Pro?

    Are you running MSN Messenger, or windows Messenger?

    >And if so, why?

    The "messenger" service you see in the services menu, allows you to
    receive "net send" messages when you're on a network. For instance, if
    a machine across your LAN is called thomas, you could type "net send
    thomas hello", and the other person would get a popup saying "message
    received from 192.x.x.x to thomas - hello" or things along those
    lines. The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to
    hotmail.com. You're not running trillian by chance?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Paul

    EMB Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to
    > hotmail.com.

    I think it does - AFAIK it polls your hotmail address to check for new mail.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Paul

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:33:26 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to
    >> hotmail.com.

    >I think it does - AFAIK it polls your hotmail address to check for new mail.

    Nope. You're getting messenger confused with MSN messenger. The
    message service (net send) has been around long before MSN.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:33:26 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >

    >>Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>
    >>>The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to
    >>>hotmail.com.

    >>I think it does - AFAIK it polls your hotmail address to check for new mail.

    > Nope. You're getting messenger confused with MSN messenger. The
    > message service (net send) has been around long before MSN.
    >
    > --
    > BOINC SETI
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    I do have MSN Messenger installed. I checked the running processes and
    there's nothing there. But I don't have a hotmail address though, I
    login with my own email address. So, in theory there should be no reason
    why it needs to communicate with Hotmail.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > DoggNZ wrote:

    >>> I think it does - AFAIK it polls your hotmail address to check for
    >>> new mail.

    >> Nope. You're getting messenger confused with MSN messenger. The
    >> message service (net send) has been around long before MSN.
    >>
    >> --
    >> BOINC SETI
    >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    > I do have MSN Messenger installed. I checked the running processes and
    > there's nothing there. But I don't have a hotmail address though, I
    > login with my own email address. So, in theory there should be no reason
    > why it needs to communicate with Hotmail.
    >
    > Paul

    I got this off TechNet RE remote port 3544 (teredo):

    Teredo, also known as IPv4 network address translator (NAT) traversal
    for IPv6, is an IPv6 transition technology that provides address
    assignment and host-to-host automatic tunneling for unicast IPv6
    connectivity when IPv6/IPv4 hosts are located behind one or multiple
    IPv4 NATs.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/teredo.mspx

    Paul, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Paul wrote:
    > DoggNZ wrote:

    >>> I think it does - AFAIK it polls your hotmail address to check for
    >>> new mail.

    >> Nope. You're getting messenger confused with MSN messenger. The
    >> message service (net send) has been around long before MSN.
    >>
    >> --
    >> BOINC SETI
    >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    > I do have MSN Messenger installed. I checked the running processes and
    > there's nothing there. But I don't have a hotmail address though, I
    > login with my own email address. So, in theory there should be no reason
    > why it needs to communicate with Hotmail.

    MSN Messenger uses some of the hotmail backend infrastructure to do
    sign-in and signalling of your instant messaging session

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 28, 2004
  8. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:55:08 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> says...
    > It seems like Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:22:06 +1300 was when Paul
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    > >Could it be "Messenger", that service that runs in the background on
    > >Windows XP Pro?

    > Are you running MSN Messenger, or windows Messenger?
    >
    > >And if so, why?

    > The "messenger" service you see in the services menu, allows you to
    > receive "net send" messages when you're on a network. For instance, if
    > a machine across your LAN is called thomas, you could type "net send
    > thomas hello", and the other person would get a popup saying "message
    > received from 192.x.x.x to thomas - hello" or things along those
    > lines. The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to
    > hotmail.com. You're not running trillian by chance?

    Windows 95 etc had Winpopup to enable messages to be sent. Is this
    available in Windows XP?

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Paul

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:42:51 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >> The "messenger" service you see in the services menu, allows you to
    >> receive "net send" messages when you're on a network. For instance, if a
    >> machine across your LAN is called thomas, you could type "net send
    >> thomas hello", and the other person would get a popup saying "message
    >> received from 192.x.x.x to thomas - hello" or things along those lines.
    >> The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to hotmail.com.
    >> You're not running trillian by chance?

    > Windows 95 etc had Winpopup to enable messages to be sent. Is this
    > available in Windows XP?

    Winpopup (3.x/9x) and the messenger service (NT/2K/XP) do the same thing
    (sending netbios messages), just using different interfaces.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 29, 2004
  10. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:46:52 +1300, AD. <> says...
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:42:51 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > >> The "messenger" service you see in the services menu, allows you to
    > >> receive "net send" messages when you're on a network. For instance, if a
    > >> machine across your LAN is called thomas, you could type "net send
    > >> thomas hello", and the other person would get a popup saying "message
    > >> received from 192.x.x.x to thomas - hello" or things along those lines.
    > >> The messenger service I highly doubt would be talking to hotmail.com.
    > >> You're not running trillian by chance?

    > > Windows 95 etc had Winpopup to enable messages to be sent. Is this
    > > available in Windows XP?

    > Winpopup (3.x/9x) and the messenger service (NT/2K/XP) do the same thing
    > (sending netbios messages), just using different interfaces.

    Can you only invoke it from a command prompt in XP or is there a GUI?

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Paul

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:19:21 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >> Winpopup (3.x/9x) and the messenger service (NT/2K/XP) do the same thing
    >> (sending netbios messages), just using different interfaces.

    > Can you only invoke it from a command prompt in XP or is there a GUI?

    I'm only aware of the command line in XP, but no doubt there are probably
    resource kit or 3rd party GUIs around somewhere.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 29, 2004