BAUD Rate Setting Of Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    A while back i asked the question regarding the setting of the Baud
    rate in the PC for communicating with outside devices.

    Specifically, i have a shortwave radio that one can control via a program
    directly from the PC. The software has a box for selecting the COM Port,
    and also the Baud Rate.

    But, I think, this Baud Rate is only for what the radio uses in talking back
    to the PC, but am not really sure.

    Don't want to mess anything up, so I thought it would be better to ask
    first, before changing anything.

    My basic question is: if I change the Baud Rate IN THE PROGRAM option box
    to something higher than what appears presently in the Ports settings in the
    PC's Device Manager (now at 9600), does this also automatically change the
    value in Device Manager for what the PC would now use for everything ?

    If I want the higher speed, do I have to change it both in the program and
    in Device Manager ?

    Might as well also ask, please: In Device manager, the port speed seems to
    be under PDW Slicer Communications Port (COM 1).

    What is PDW Slicer, etc. ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jun 26, 2006

  2. On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:37:03 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    > My basic question is: if I change the Baud Rate IN THE PROGRAM option box
    > to something higher than what appears presently in the Ports settings in
    > the PC's Device Manager (now at 9600), does this also automatically change
    > the value in Device Manager for what the PC would now use for everything ?
    >
    > If I want the higher speed, do I have to change it both in the program and
    > in Device Manager ?

    The baud rate is set per port. You must set the program, the outside
    device and the port at the same baud rate. I've been using outside devices
    like TNC's and Yaesu CAT for years.

    Chuck Lysaght, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Howdy!

    Answers inline.

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > A while back i asked the question regarding the setting of the Baud
    > rate in the PC for communicating with outside devices.
    >
    > Specifically, i have a shortwave radio that one can control via a program
    > directly from the PC. The software has a box for selecting the COM Port,
    > and also the Baud Rate.
    >
    > But, I think, this Baud Rate is only for what the radio uses in talking

    back
    > to the PC, but am not really sure.
    >
    > Don't want to mess anything up, so I thought it would be better to ask
    > first, before changing anything.
    >
    > My basic question is: if I change the Baud Rate IN THE PROGRAM option box
    > to something higher than what appears presently in the Ports settings in

    the
    > PC's Device Manager (now at 9600), does this also automatically change the
    > value in Device Manager for what the PC would now use for everything ?

    Only if the software is particularly stupid. The proper answer is
    "No", but there's always a chance your software is very non-friendly and
    will screw up the general settings.

    > If I want the higher speed, do I have to change it both in the program and
    > in Device Manager ?

    Nope. The Device Manager sets the "default", or "What do I use if
    you don't have anything set and open up a COM port" settings. Your software
    should set its own settings for what it wants.

    > Might as well also ask, please: In Device manager, the port speed seems

    > be under PDW Slicer Communications Port (COM 1).
    >
    > What is PDW Slicer, etc. ?

    Beats me.

    Ah. A quick Google turns up that it's installed by some apps
    (mention particularly of radio control apps, such as you are trying to use)
    to allow them to access the COM ports under XP.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 27, 2006