    Since Universal's screwed up a lot of DVD releases in the past year, I'm
    hoping this *isn't* one of them.

    Still, I don't want to plunk down hard earned cash if it's f*cked up.

    Stan Jensen, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Stan Jensen

    Wade365 Guest

    << Still, I don't want to plunk down hard earned cash if it's f*cked up. >>

    You understand you're leaving yourself wide open with a statement like this...

    Wade365, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Stan Jensen

    Evil Guest

    Stan Jensen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Since Universal's screwed up a lot of DVD releases in the past year, I'm
    > hoping this *isn't* one of them.
    >
    > Still, I don't want to plunk down hard earned cash if it's f*cked up.

    Well, the Cylon head and old Computer-game-sized box sure are
    obnoxious. I might've bought one if it was just a boxset of dvds like
    all the other dvd boxsets.

    There suer were a lot of people at Best Buy buying them up, though. I
    think you'll get some feedback on the video quality fairly quickly and
    fairly numerously (?).

    Evil, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Stan Jensen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Since Universal's screwed up a lot of DVD releases in the past year, I'm
    > hoping this *isn't* one of them.

    I haven't come across any authoring errors so far, but I've only
    watched a small fraction.

    The 3-hour pilot suffers from much film grain and other print quality
    issues, but a quick check of a few other episodes showed much
    improvement.

    Jay Pennington, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Stan Jensen

    Rutgar Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 11:03:50 -0700, (Jay Pennington)
    wrote:

    >Stan Jensen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Since Universal's screwed up a lot of DVD releases in the past year, I'm
    >> hoping this *isn't* one of them.

    >I haven't come across any authoring errors so far, but I've only
    >watched a small fraction.
    >
    >The 3-hour pilot suffers from much film grain and other print quality
    >issues, but a quick check of a few other episodes showed much
    >improvement.

    There is also a separate anamorphic widescreen Battlestar Galactica
    movie available. Does anyone know if this movie is the 3 hour pilot?

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Stan Jensen

    ScottSPM Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:43:53 GMT, Stan Jensen <>
    wrote:
    >Since Universal's screwed up a lot of DVD releases in the past year, I'm
    >hoping this *isn't* one of them.

    I received mine from Amazon.com today and it has two disc sixes and NO
    disc two!! There is a Disc Six in both the 2 and 6 slot. Man...I'm
    pissed. Really been waiting for this one...now I need to return it
    and wait for a replacement to arrive!

    ScottSPM

    "History repeats itself
    I find this to be true,
    Reflections of what I once was
    And you as I once knew..." - Seven Days

    I can be found lurking and posting in NEWSGROUPS
    - news:alt.tv.alias
    - news:alt.tv.charmed
    - news:alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer
    - news:alt.tv.mash
    - news:alt.video.dvd
    - news:alt.support.sleep-disorder

    ScottSPM, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Stan Jensen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > There is also a separate anamorphic widescreen Battlestar Galactica
    > movie available. Does anyone know if this movie is the 3 hour pilot?

    It's not. It's the shorter cut of the film that played in theaters. The
    pilot on that disc has been matted to 1.85:1 even though it is very
    obvious that the photography was composed for full-frame 1.33:1. The
    episode was always intended for TV; the theatrical run was decided
    after-the-fact.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Stan Jensen

    Rutgar Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:12:13 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >> There is also a separate anamorphic widescreen Battlestar Galactica
    >> movie available. Does anyone know if this movie is the 3 hour pilot?

    >It's not. It's the shorter cut of the film that played in theaters. The
    >pilot on that disc has been matted to 1.85:1 even though it is very
    >obvious that the photography was composed for full-frame 1.33:1. The
    >episode was always intended for TV; the theatrical run was decided
    >after-the-fact.

    So, in other words, don't bother buying the movie, if you already have
    the complete series edition?

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Stan Jensen

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Evil) wrote in message news:<>...

    > Well, the Cylon head and old Computer-game-sized box sure are
    > obnoxious. I might've bought one if it was just a boxset of dvds like
    > all the other dvd boxsets.

    Based on the pic on the back of the box there is a standard boxed set
    packed inside that monstrosity of a box.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Oct 23, 2003
  10. Stan Jensen

    Rutgar Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 16:43:29 -0700, (Jordan Lund)
    wrote:

    > (Evil) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> Well, the Cylon head and old Computer-game-sized box sure are
    >> obnoxious. I might've bought one if it was just a boxset of dvds like
    >> all the other dvd boxsets.

    >Based on the pic on the back of the box there is a standard boxed set
    >packed inside that monstrosity of a box.
    >
    >- Jordan

    That is correct.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Stan Jensen

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Jordan Lund wrote:

    > (Evil) wrote in message news:<>...
    >

    >>Well, the Cylon head and old Computer-game-sized box sure are
    >>obnoxious. I might've bought one if it was just a boxset of dvds like
    >>all the other dvd boxsets.

    > Based on the pic on the back of the box there is a standard boxed set
    > packed inside that monstrosity of a box.

    Correct. It is a fold-out package similar to the X-Files season sets. It
    does not, however, have a sleave of any kind. The BG series outer box is
    large to allow for the collectors booklet that lays flat inside.

    Kevin Scholl

    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...

    Kevin Scholl, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Stan Jensen

    Paul C. Guest

    Kevin Scholl <> wrote in

    > It does not, however, have a sleave of any kind. The BG series

    outer
    > box is large to allow for the collectors booklet that lays flat
    > inside.

    As a person who watched BG as a kid & owned a toy Cylon raider (the
    "fixed one that didn't have missles that kids could shoot their eyes
    out with") I liked the packaging, it brought back great memories. :)

    Paul C., Oct 23, 2003
  13. Stan Jensen

    JWB Guest

    "Paul C." <> wrote in message
    > Kevin Scholl <> wrote in
    >
    > > It does not, however, have a sleave of any kind. The BG series

    > outer
    > > box is large to allow for the collectors booklet that lays flat
    > > inside.

    > As a person who watched BG as a kid & owned a toy Cylon raider (the
    > "fixed one that didn't have missles that kids could shoot their eyes
    > out with") I liked the packaging, it brought back great memories. :)

    I like it a lot too. I'll put it somewhere other than my DVD shelf, and just
    store the box set with the rest of my DVD's.

    JWB, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Stan Jensen

    Paul C. Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in

    > I like it a lot too. I'll put it somewhere other than my DVD

    shelf,
    > and just store the box set with the rest of my DVD's.

    Same here, it could come in handy as a Halloween mask ;)

    Paul C., Oct 23, 2003
  15. Stan Jensen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > >> There is also a separate anamorphic widescreen Battlestar Galactica
    > >> movie available. Does anyone know if this movie is the 3 hour

    pilot?

    > >It's not. It's the shorter cut of the film that played in theaters.

    The
    > >pilot on that disc has been matted to 1.85:1 even though it is very
    > >obvious that the photography was composed for full-frame 1.33:1. The
    > >episode was always intended for TV; the theatrical run was decided
    > >after-the-fact.

    > So, in other words, don't bother buying the movie, if you already have
    > the complete series edition?

    Basically, yeah.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 23, 2003
  16. ScottSPM <> wrote:

    > I received mine from Amazon.com today and it has two disc sixes and NO
    > disc two!!...now I need to return it and wait for a replacement to arrive!

    I had to return my copy, too: it showed up with a scuff on Disc 1, Side
    1, that my player couldn't play past (picture breakup, sound loss,
    eventual lockup).

    So I got to watch about two-thirds of the pilot episode before having
    to send it back. I feel your pain. :)

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 23, 2003
  17. Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    "I had to return my copy, too: it showed up with a scuff on Disc 1, Side
    1, that my player couldn't play past (picture breakup, sound loss,
    eventual lockup)."

    I just had the same problem. Disc 1, Side 1 at about 1h27m. Pauses,
    audio dropouts and picture breakups that cease after a few minutes.

    I got mine at Circuit City, so back it goes tomorrow.

    NeoMaxiZoomDweeby, Oct 23, 2003
  18. Stan Jensen

    Wade365 Guest

    And also, if you're interested in seeing the full 3 hr. pilot you won't see it
    unless you buy the boxed set (the stand-alone "movie" is truncated?)

    F- That. Bloody marketing grads.

    I remember watching quite a bit o the show when it originally aired and I might
    be tempted to own the first movie, but really who wants to watch Starbuck and
    Cy doing the "Enemy Mine" script? Someone help me out here... what were some
    of the better moments in the series' run?

    Wade365, Oct 23, 2003
  19. Stan Jensen

    jayembee Guest

    Kevin Scholl <> wrote:

    >> Based on the pic on the back of the box there is a standard
    >> boxed set packed inside that monstrosity of a box.

    > Correct. It is a fold-out package similar to the X-Files
    > season sets. It does not, however, have a sleave of any kind.

    Which is a pain in the butt.

    But anyway, this prompts me to ask: does anyone know where
    one might find "blank" slipcase boxes? I've checked all the
    usual suspects (like Bags Unlimited), as well as doing a
    web search, and haven't found anything.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 23, 2003
  20. Stan Jensen

    jayembee Guest

    Rutgar <> wrote:

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Rutgar" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is also a separate anamorphic widescreen Battlestar
    >>> Galactica movie available. Does anyone know if this movie
    >>> is the 3 hour pilot?

    >> It's not. It's the shorter cut of the film that played in
    >> theaters. The pilot on that disc has been matted to 1.85:1
    >> even though it is very obvious that the photography was
    >> composed for full-frame 1.33:1. The episode was always
    >> intended for TV; the theatrical run was decided after-the-fact.

    Decided after the fact, though technically, it was released
    in theaters first (it played theatrically in Canada a couple
    of months before the series debuted).

    > So, in other words, don't bother buying the movie, if you
    > already have the complete series edition?

    Depends on how much of a completist you are. While the theatrical
    version is shorter (by about a half-hour), it *does* contain
    some scenes that are not in the TV version, in order to make
    it more self-contained.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 23, 2003