    Wisconsin
    From a comment on ShackNews:

    In the latest CGW podcast, they received retail boxed copies of BF 2142.

    When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

    Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware shit. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too).

    [​IMG]

    Silverstrand, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Silverstrand

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    We picked up the game tonight from Best Buy, and it was a good deal because they offered a free $10 gift card with the normal purchase price.

    Regarding the insert, our game came with that too. The only way to avoid transmitting the user data is to not have a connection to the Internet while playing the game. If you do have an Internet connection while gaming, it just presents you with customized ads. I don't believe the user data is collected when you are not playing the game.

    bigal, Oct 18, 2006