    has anybody bought this yet? Is the content the same as the first six. ie 2
    BOTP, 2 gatchaman and 1 Turner version.

    thanx for any info.

    feck, Sep 18, 2003

  2. feck

    Ocelot Guest

    feck <> wrote in message news:<Xns93FA7E5199DF3krinkle@24.64.223.211>...
    > I just want to confirm before I buy, this box set is the *next* 12 episodes
    > and not the first 12 already released on DVD?
    >
    > has anybody bought this yet? Is the content the same as the first six. ie 2
    > BOTP, 2 gatchaman and 1 Turner version.
    >
    > thanx for any info.

    THe box set has the next 12 BOTP episodes, with their Gatchaman
    counterparts. The Turner G-force episodes have been dropped, but
    replaced with some interviews and some commentary tracks with Janet
    Waldo, Casey Kassem, and at least one other cast member.

    So the new format is now 3 BOTP and 3 Gatch per disc (the new set is 4
    DVD's).

    A few Gatchaman episodes are skipped in this release -- boo hiss! I
    think the extra space freed up from the removal of the Turner episodes
    (and the multiple language tracks) should have been dedicated to the
    missing Gatch episodes, seeing as they are part of a RUNNING STORY...
    while BOTP in general rarely follows a totally consistant story.
    Rhino may not be to blame for this though.... it may be Tatsunoko who
    won't release these episodes in english.

    Let me correct that... I wonder if Tatsunoko even knows how bad the
    video quality for the Gatch episodes is on the Rhino disks? I suspect
    that Rhino is working from materials provided to them by Sandy Frank,
    and thus would not include episodes of Gatch that didn't make it into
    BOTP. So I blame Rhino for not securing good masters -- inexcusible
    when an excellent quality DVD release of Gatch already exists. All
    they had to do was ask Tatsunoko!

    Ocelot, Sep 19, 2003

  3. > A few Gatchaman episodes are skipped in this release -- boo hiss!

    I hope they are able to fill in the gaps at some point, perhaps on a
    bonus disc in some future set. I can understand why they haven't yet,
    the focus being BOTP over Gatchaman (alas). I'm just relieved that
    they're still including the Gatch eps---I was afraid they'd dump them
    in favor of G-Force.

    > Let me correct that... I wonder if Tatsunoko even knows how bad the
    > video quality for the Gatch episodes is on the Rhino disks? I suspect
    > that Rhino is working from materials provided to them by Sandy Frank,

    Hmm, not sure about that. Frank's materials were 16mm dupes, and
    judging by the nature of the tape errors and sloppy 3:2 pulldown
    (which could've been easily corrected by Rhino but that's another
    gripe), these Gatch eps came from aging 1" or 2" video reels. I
    suppose these could've been transfers made back in the day on Frank's
    behalf, but BOTP was edited on film. Either way, though, I agree
    Tatsunoko could/should have provided something better. They do look
    vastly superior to the muddy multigenerational mess of the BOTP
    episodes, though.

    -Jay

    Jay Pennington, Sep 24, 2003
  4. feck

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Jay
    Pennington <> wrote:

    > Hmm, not sure about that. Frank's materials were 16mm dupes, and
    > judging by the nature of the tape errors and sloppy 3:2 pulldown
    > (which could've been easily corrected by Rhino but that's another
    > gripe), these Gatch eps came from aging 1" or 2" video reels. I
    > suppose these could've been transfers made back in the day on Frank's
    > behalf, but BOTP was edited on film. Either way, though, I agree
    > Tatsunoko could/should have provided something better. They do look
    > vastly superior to the muddy multigenerational mess of the BOTP
    > episodes, though.

    What makes you think Tatsunoko cares, to be honest? Many Japanese
    studios treat their shows as bad or worse then US ones unless there's
    money to be made, so unless Rhino was willing to pay for better prints
    they most likely won't get them. Hell, this was the studio that didn't
    mind the series getting butchered by a US company twice before :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Sep 25, 2003