battery shut down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FJDx, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. FJDx

    FJDx Guest

    I have a Packard Bell F5280 running on WinXP Home SP2.

    My laptop constantly shuts down as soon as I pull the AC adapter and try
    to run on battery out even when the battery is full.

    I installed a BIOS update as follows:
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=6938410100
    though this did not solve the problelm.

    When I contacted the Packard Bell service desk they said that it was
    battery wear and tear and they would not fix it. I am nearing the end of
    my warranty so they said they would only have fixed it if I had said to
    them at the start. However, I had not noticed this before as I always
    used to run on AC power. I have just bought a wireless network so now
    want to use the battery occassionally instead.

    Another problem that the above BIOS failed to fix is that sometimes the
    battery does not charge at all when pluged into an AC adapter as
    described here:
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=topic_02144

    FJDx, Jun 8, 2005

  2. FJDx

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:14:39 GMT, "FJDx" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Packard Bell F5280 running on WinXP Home SP2.
    >
    >My laptop constantly shuts down as soon as I pull the AC adapter and try
    >to run on battery out even when the battery is full.
    >
    >I installed a BIOS update as follows:
    >http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=6938410100
    >though this did not solve the problelm.
    >
    >When I contacted the Packard Bell service desk they said that it was
    >battery wear and tear and they would not fix it. I am nearing the end of
    >my warranty so they said they would only have fixed it if I had said to
    >them at the start. However, I had not noticed this before as I always
    >used to run on AC power. I have just bought a wireless network so now
    >want to use the battery occassionally instead.
    >
    >Another problem that the above BIOS failed to fix is that sometimes the
    >battery does not charge at all when pluged into an AC adapter as
    >described here:
    >http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=topic_02144

    Your battery on your laptop is probably going to have a 6 month
    warranty. Unfortunately, they may be able to say that if the laptop is
    constantly plugged in, it voids the battery warranty. Best bet is to
    read your warranty and see what your battery warranty is.

    Evan Platt, Jun 8, 2005

  3. FJDx wrote:

    > I have a Packard Bell F5280 running on WinXP Home SP2.
    >
    > My laptop constantly shuts down as soon as I pull the AC adapter and try
    > to run on battery out even when the battery is full.
    >
    > I installed a BIOS update as follows:
    > http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=6938410100
    > though this did not solve the problelm.
    >
    > When I contacted the Packard Bell service desk they said that it was
    > battery wear and tear and they would not fix it. I am nearing the end of
    > my warranty so they said they would only have fixed it if I had said to
    > them at the start. However, I had not noticed this before as I always
    > used to run on AC power. I have just bought a wireless network so now
    > want to use the battery occassionally instead.

    That's your fault: accus still have to be maintained, by periodically
    discharging and recharging - but not overcharge them (and let them run dry
    then) through continuously keeping the laptop plugged in.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jun 8, 2005
  4. FJDx

    FJDx Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > Your battery on your laptop is probably going to have a 6 month
    > warranty. Unfortunately, they may be able to say that if the laptop is
    > constantly plugged in, it voids the battery warranty. Best bet is to
    > read your warranty and see what your battery warranty is.

    The battery is out of warranty. But is this actually a problem with the
    warranty when Packard Bell has issued a BIOS update to try and fix this
    problem? This tells me that it is a system issue rather than a battery
    issue.

    FJDx, Jun 8, 2005
  5. FJDx

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Your battery is bad, buy another one http://www.ebatts.com/ .

    pcbutts1, Jun 8, 2005
  6. FJDx

    JANA Guest

    The battery that you have is worn down. It's time for a new battery, if you
    want to have the computer work as a portable.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jun 9, 2005