    try to retrain her. I am moderately competent in such matters as this.
    What kind of difficulty will I be in if I take a scredriver to the case in
    an attempt to replace the internal battery?

    Ed Mullikin, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Ed Mullikin

    Guest

    On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:01:44 -0400, "Ed Mullikin" <>
    wrote:

    >A technologically challenged widow friend of my wife has a Kodak digital
    >camera with a dead INTERNAL battery so that she can no longer have the date
    >printed on the photos as she takes them. She wants to do that to her
    >photos. The Kodak camera is a DX6490. Yes, I know she can reset the date
    >and I know she should just get a new camera but please read the first
    >sentence again. She barely knows how to use this one and I do not want to
    >try to retrain her. I am moderately competent in such matters as this.
    >What kind of difficulty will I be in if I take a scredriver to the case in
    >an attempt to replace the internal battery?

    I don't know that camera, I have been out of the business
    since before digital, but must camera shops will still replace a
    battery for you.

    , Mar 30, 2009

  3. Ed Mullikin

    Nicko Guest

    On Mar 30, 4:17 pm, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > > A technologically challenged widow friend of my wife has a Kodak digital
    > > camera with a dead INTERNAL battery so that she can no longer have the date
    > > printed on the photos as she takes them.  She wants to do that to her
    > > photos.  The Kodak camera is a DX6490.  Yes, I know she can reset the date
    > > and I know she should just get a new camera but please read the first
    > > sentence again.  She barely knows how to use this one and I do not want to
    > > try to retrain her.  I am moderately competent in such matters as this.
    > > What kind of difficulty will I be in if I take a scredriver to the case in
    > > an attempt to replace the internal battery?

    > In all probability, it is simply a button battery.  You might try the
    > kodak site for a user manual, which might mention it.

    I like how you put that: "She wants to do that to her photos." So I
    guess there is no persuading her not to?

    I would go ahead and open up the camera, but only dissassemble it to
    the point past which you won't be able to put it back together. If
    you are reasonably adept at doing this sort of thing, and are careful,
    it certainly won't hurt.

    As Ron said, it's probably a button battery, and if you can find it
    inside the camera in the first place (it might be obvious), it should
    be easy enough to replace with a commercial equivalent. I couldn't
    find anything at Kodak's web site, but I admit I didn't look very
    hard.

    Good luck.

    --
    YOP...

    Nicko, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Ed Mullikin

    dwight Guest

    "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    > A technologically challenged widow friend of my wife has a Kodak digital
    > camera with a dead INTERNAL battery so that she can no longer have the
    > date printed on the photos as she takes them. She wants to do that to her
    > photos. The Kodak camera is a DX6490. Yes, I know she can reset the date
    > and I know she should just get a new camera but please read the first
    > sentence again. She barely knows how to use this one and I do not want to
    > try to retrain her. I am moderately competent in such matters as this.
    > What kind of difficulty will I be in if I take a scredriver to the case in
    > an attempt to replace the internal battery?

    Is it possible that the date stamp was simply turned OFF?

    Menu > Date Stamp > On/Off

    Before you take a screwdriver to the camera (and the manual makes no mention
    of an internal battery), check the simple things first.

    Here's the manual:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/service/manuals/urg00132/DX6340_GLB_en.pdf

    dwight

    dwight, Mar 31, 2009
  5. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "dwight" <> wrote in message

    > "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    >> A technologically challenged widow friend of my wife has a Kodak digital
    >> camera with a dead INTERNAL battery so that she can no longer have the
    >> date printed on the photos as she takes them. She wants to do that to
    >> her
    >> photos. The Kodak camera is a DX6490. Yes, I know she can reset the
    >> date
    >> and I know she should just get a new camera but please read the first
    >> sentence again. She barely knows how to use this one and I do not want
    >> try to retrain her. I am moderately competent in such matters as this.
    >> What kind of difficulty will I be in if I take a scredriver to the case
    >> in
    >> an attempt to replace the internal battery?

    > Is it possible that the date stamp was simply turned OFF?
    >
    > Menu > Date Stamp > On/Off
    >
    > Before you take a screwdriver to the camera (and the manual makes no
    > mention
    > of an internal battery), check the simple things first.
    >
    > Here's the manual:
    > http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/service/manuals/urg00132/DX6340_GLB_en.pdf
    >
    > dwight

    Thank you for your effort but I have the manual and I'm familiar with her
    camera. The date did work and still will work correctly if it is RESET
    every time the camera is activated. Otherwise, the date is consistently
    incorrect and has to be turned off . I seem to remember that the earlier
    camera's instruction books told one how to replace the internal battery if
    necessary but they no longer do so. Kodak's web site said that support for
    that model was no longer available. As I said earlier, I'd recommend that
    she get a new camera but I don't want to go through the training period.
    Another friend of my wife (They are all widows) got a new Sony and took a
    bunch of photos. She wanted me to help her load them into her computer.
    (That's another story.) About half of her photos were "movies". She had NO
    idea how that could have happened. Cameras have too many options for
    someone who just wants to take a snapshot, my wife included.

    Ed Mullikin, Mar 31, 2009
  6. Ed Mullikin

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:28:05 -0400, Ed Mullikin wrote:

    > I seem to remember that the earlier camera's instruction books told one
    > how to replace the internal battery if necessary but they no longer do so.
    > Kodak's web site said that support for that model was no longer available.

    Kodak used to sell the Dock 6000 for the DX6490 and other series
    6000 models. If you can find one (such as on eBay) you'd be able to
    charge the DX6490's batteries without having to remove them from the
    camera, presumably without loss of the date and time. Do you use
    rechargeable batteries? If so, and you only have one set, so the
    camera is without batteries while they're being charged, perhaps the
    internal battery is only *nearly* dead and the camera might not lose
    its clock information if you replace the batteries within 20 or 30
    seconds. You could do this by keeping an extra pair of alkaline AA
    batteries in the camera while the main pair is charging. Or you
    could use two sets of rechargeable batteries, quickly swapping the
    depleted pair with the charged pair. Another possibility is to
    purchase Kodak's optional AC adapter if it's still available, or a
    compatible power supply, and have it power the camera while you
    recharge or replace the DX6490's batteries.

    ASAAR, Mar 31, 2009
  7. Ed Mullikin

    Nicko Guest

    On Mar 31, 2:36 am, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:28:05 -0400, Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > > I seem to remember that the earlier camera's instruction books told one
    > > how to replace the internal battery if  necessary but they no longer do so.
    > >  Kodak's web site said that support for  that model was no longer available.

    >   Kodak used to sell the Dock 6000 for the DX6490 and other series
    > 6000 models.

    Indeed

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/dbfowv

    Nicko, Mar 31, 2009