Battery question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JEP, Aug 22, 2009.

  1. JEP

    JEP Guest

    I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
    - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
    words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
    it gets fairly light usage.

    The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
    almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.

    I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery technology
    has improved since 2003.

    Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
    camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
    week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

    What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
    NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
    crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?

    Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

    JEP

    JEP, Aug 22, 2009

  2. "JEP" <> wrote in message
    > I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    > drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on
    > vacation
    > - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
    > words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get
    > used,
    > it gets fairly light usage.
    >
    > The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    > megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    > Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries
    > are
    > almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    > every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
    >
    > I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    > would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery
    > technology
    > has improved since 2003.
    >
    > Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    > I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when
    > the
    > camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
    > week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
    >
    > What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
    > NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
    > crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
    >
    > Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > JEP

    Try Sanyo eneloop. They have a much lower self-discharge than most NiMH
    cells.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 22, 2009

  3. JEP

    Bob Williams Guest

    JEP wrote:
    > I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    > drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
    > - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
    > words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
    > it gets fairly light usage.
    >
    > The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    > megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    > Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
    > almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    > every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
    >
    > I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    > would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery technology
    > has improved since 2003.
    >
    > Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    > I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
    > camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
    > week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
    >
    > What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
    > NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
    > crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
    >
    > Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > JEP

    Use Lithium Batteries.
    They last a loooong time.
    They are ideal for your type of usage.
    They cost a bit more than Alkalines or NiMH rechargables but it sure is
    nice not to have to worry if your camera is going to work.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Aug 22, 2009
  4. "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Use Lithium Batteries.
    > They last a loooong time.
    > They are ideal for your type of usage.
    > They cost a bit more than Alkalines or NiMH rechargables but it sure is
    > nice not to have to worry if your camera is going to work.
    > Bob Williams

    Yes, but check that the Nikon Coolpix 2100 can accept the slightly higher
    voltage which Lithiums may produce. These appear to be OK:

    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf#search="AA site:energizer.com"

    They are also noticeably lighter than normal AA cells.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 22, 2009
  5. JEP

    More Info Guest

    On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:38:07 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >"JEP" <> wrote in message
    >> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    >> drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on
    >> vacation
    >> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
    >> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get
    >> used,
    >> it gets fairly light usage.
    >>
    >> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    >> megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    >> Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries
    >> are
    >> almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    >> every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
    >>
    >> I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    >> would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery
    >> technology
    >> has improved since 2003.
    >>
    >> Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    >> I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when
    >> the
    >> camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
    >> week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
    >>
    >> What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
    >> NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
    >> crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> JEP

    >Try Sanyo eneloop. They have a much lower self-discharge than most NiMH
    >cells.
    >
    >David

    Rayovac also markets the same battery chemistry under a pre-charged NiMH
    cell they named "Hybrid". You might find them at a more reasonable price
    than Eneloops, often less than 50% the price of Eneloops.

    I think Energizer sells a similar product, also labeled as "Pre-Charged" on
    the packaging. Any NiMH rechargeable batteries on the shelf being sold with
    "pre-charged" on the packaging have this same chemistry. This is why they
    can keep them on the shelves that long and safely make that claim.

    Do a search on Google using the string: nimh pre-charged

    I just did that and many companies are now selling them. Duracell, Delco,
    GE, Kodak, etc. etc.

    Oddly, I didn't find Energizer on a quick hunt. But I'm almost certain that
    I saw some on the shelf one time.

    More Info, Aug 22, 2009
  6. JEP

    bucky3 Guest

    On Aug 22, 12:14 am, JEP <> wrote:
    > My problem is that the batteries are
    > almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    > every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.

    maybe you should take out the batteries from the camera, and only
    insert them when you're using your camera.

    bucky3, Aug 22, 2009
  7. JEP

    Nicko Guest

    On Aug 22, 2:14 am, JEP <> wrote:
    > I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    > drawer unused.  When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
    > - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day.  In other
    > words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
    > it gets fairly light usage.
    >
    > The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    > megapixel) that uses AA batteries.  I have been using rechargable
    > Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh.  My problem is that the batteries are
    > almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    > every time.  They seem to be drain within a week or so.
    >
    > I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    > would deplete other batteries too quickly.  But I hope battery technology
    > has improved since 2003.
    >
    > Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    > I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
    > camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
    > week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

    Is your occasional "week or two of vacation" always so impromptu that
    you don't have time to charge batteries the night before you leave?

    I have a suggestion: Post a note for yourself in a place where you
    see it every day: "CHARGE BATTERIES BEFORE VACATION."

    HTH.

    --
    YOP...

    Nicko, Aug 22, 2009
  8. JEP <> wrote:
    >I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a

    [...]
    >The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    >megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    >Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
    >almost always dead whenever I need my camera;

    Yes, normal rechargable batteries have a high self-discharge rate, even
    when not used. And they age. After 6 years I would expect the battery to
    hold only a fraction of what it used to hold when new. Plus the deep
    discharge every time is not a life-enhancing scenario, either.

    > They seem to be drain within a week or so.

    New rechargable batteries should last significantly longer, typical NiMH
    should loose about 1/3 per month.

    >I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    >would deplete other batteries too quickly.

    Well,almost true. Using batteries instead of rechargables will deplete
    your wallet if you have a standard usage pattern for your camera. You
    don't.

    >Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?

    Most definitely yes.

    >I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
    >camera is not being used)

    Use normal AA batteries (non-rechargable). For your usage pattern that's
    the best option. Not to mention that you can just try it without buying
    any new stuff.
    Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    >but will have enough juice to get me through a
    >week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

    That's not going to happen. If you _actively_use_ the camera daily then
    no batterie will hold enough charge to last that long.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 22, 2009
  9. Nicko <> wrote:
    >On Aug 22, 2:14 am, JEP <> wrote:
    >> I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    >> drawer unused.  When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
    >> - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day.  In other
    >> words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
    >> it gets fairly light usage.
    >>
    >> The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2

    [...]

    >Is your occasional "week or two of vacation" always so impromptu that
    >you don't have time to charge batteries the night before you leave?

    That would probably not help much, because a 6 year old battery isn't
    going to hold more than a fraction of the charge of a new one.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 22, 2009
  10. On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 05:40:35 -0700, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    >Use normal AA batteries (non-rechargable). For your usage pattern that's
    >the best option. Not to mention that you can just try it without buying
    >any new stuff.
    >Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    >are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    The new low-discharge "pre-charged" NiMH batteries do not require a new
    charger. And if you don't buy the Eneloop brand of these types of batteries
    then they are no more expensive than normal prices you've paid for NiMH
    batteries in the past. The only reason Eneloops are higher priced is
    because that's the only brand-name that online parroting trolls, who don't
    actually buy batteries for their imaginary cameras, know of to spew
    constantly. Since everyone thinks that Eneloops are the only brand or
    somehow better, then Sanyo gets to rob everyone blind. Such is the folly of
    following online troll's advice. Eneloops may have been the first kids on
    the block but that's not been true for almost 2 years now. Nor are Eneloops
    the best anymore. Though you'll never know this by listening to online
    trolls' parroted advice.

    You are also wrong about advising them to use normal alkaline AA batteries.
    Digital cameras require high-current rates, but for very short durations.
    Regular alkalines will only be useful for a very short period of their
    typical life-time in all other devices before their voltage drops below a
    useful level for digital cameras. A *huge* waste of money for a digital
    camera. NiMHs or Lithiums (if your battery can deal with the slightly
    higher voltages of Lithium AAs) are best for all digital cameras.

    Please stop spouting advice on a topic that you obviously know nothing
    about.

    Factual Corrections, Aug 22, 2009
  11. Factual Corrections <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 05:40:35 -0700, Jürgen Exner <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Use normal AA batteries (non-rechargable). For your usage pattern that's
    >>the best option. Not to mention that you can just try it without buying
    >>any new stuff.
    >>Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    >>are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    [ranting snipped]

    Oh, I see you found a new field for your rantings because nobody was
    listening to your P&S versus dSLR nonsense any longer.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 22, 2009
  12. On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 06:24:51 -0700, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    >Factual Corrections <> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 05:40:35 -0700, Jürgen Exner <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Use normal AA batteries (non-rechargable). For your usage pattern that's
    >>>the best option. Not to mention that you can just try it without buying
    >>>any new stuff.
    >>>Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    >>>are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    >[ranting snipped]
    >
    >Oh, I see you found a new field for your rantings because nobody was
    >listening to your P&S versus dSLR nonsense any longer.
    >
    >jue

    Is that the only kind of red-herring reply you can come up with when anyone
    has easily proved you 100% wrong? Is this the only way you can refute being
    exposed as an ignorant troll who is spouting major misinformation (a good
    moniker for you, Major MissInformation) because you clearly know nothing
    about cameras and the batteries they use? Which now shows everyone how much
    credibility you'll ever have about any cameras at all.

    No need to reply. You had your chance. It didn't work. In fact your reply
    made you look even worse. No doubt another reply from you will do the same
    for you, only worse yet.

    I know, try highlighting typos or grammar errors for your next reply. Then
    you'll be clearly displaying both of the most important and obvious
    troll-feathers in your cap.

    Go crawl back under your rock. Your exposure to some light is starting to
    peel your scales away.

    Factual Corrections, Aug 22, 2009
  13. "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    > are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    []
    > jue

    Do you have a reference for "requiring a new charger"? I've been using my
    standard "1-hour" NiMH charger for the last several months with no
    problem.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 22, 2009
  14. JEP

    Ofnuts Guest

    JEP wrote:
    > I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    > drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on vacation
    > - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
    > words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get used,
    > it gets fairly light usage.
    >
    > The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    > megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    > Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries are
    > almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
    > every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
    >
    > I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    > would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery technology
    > has improved since 2003.
    >
    > Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    > I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when the
    > camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
    > week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
    >
    > What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
    > NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
    > crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
    >
    > Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

    Yes, digital cameras draw some current, and so discharge batteries
    fairly quickly... so someone who is a frequent photographer has better
    use rechargeable batteries because it ends up being a lot more
    economical in the long run. But as you find out they self-discharge so
    are empty when you need them.

    Given your usage pattern it should be best to revert to plain AA cells,
    which won't self-discharge. And replacing them if you have spare ones
    around is a lot faster than recharging. You should still be able to do a
    a hundred shots with a set.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 22, 2009
  15. JEP

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:14:27 +0000, JEP wrote:

    > I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
    > drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on
    > vacation - I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day.
    > In other words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does
    > get used, it gets fairly light usage.
    >
    > The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
    > megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
    > Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries
    > are almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge
    > them every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.
    >
    > I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
    > would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery
    > technology has improved since 2003.
    >
    > Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
    > I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when
    > the camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me
    > through a week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.
    >
    > What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
    > NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
    > crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?
    >
    > Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > JEP

    I'd vote for the lithiums - my wife uses them, also on a coolpix 2100,
    and she has a similar usage pattern. They last a LONG time - just keep a
    spare set in the camera bag.

    ray, Aug 22, 2009
  16. JEP

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:25:39 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    >> are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    > Do you have a reference for "requiring a new charger"? I've been using my
    > standard "1-hour" NiMH charger for the last several months with no problem.

    You're correct, the Eneloops do *not* require a new charger. When
    they were introduced (first the Eneloops, followed several months
    later by RayOVac's Hybrids), and before Sanyo started packaging
    chargers with some of their Eneloops, the packages said that any
    standard NiMH charger could be used. In fact some of Eneloops
    chargers are sub-optimal. They're all very slow, but some of them
    also lack individual charging circuits,only charging cells in pairs.

    ASAAR, Aug 22, 2009
  17. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >"Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However they
    >> are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    >Do you have a reference for "requiring a new charger"? I've been using my
    >standard "1-hour" NiMH charger for the last several months with no
    >problem.

    Hmmm, good to know. I didn't have a NiMH charger and was certain that I
    couldn't use my old NiCd-charger, so I had to get a new one with the
    Eneloops.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 22, 2009
  18. "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >>"Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >>[]
    >>> Or try the new Sanyo Eneelops with low self-discharge rate. However
    >>> they
    >>> are expensive and require a new charger, too.

    >>Do you have a reference for "requiring a new charger"? I've been using
    >>my
    >>standard "1-hour" NiMH charger for the last several months with no
    >>problem.

    > Hmmm, good to know. I didn't have a NiMH charger and was certain that I
    > couldn't use my old NiCd-charger, so I had to get a new one with the
    > Eneloops.
    >
    > jue

    Yes, NiCd and NiMH /do/ require different chargers.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 22, 2009
  19. On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:31:19 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >"Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >> "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >>>"Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    >>>[]
    >>>
    >>>Do you have a reference for "requiring a new charger"? I've been using
    >>>my
    >>>standard "1-hour" NiMH charger for the last several months with no
    >>>problem.

    >> Hmmm, good to know. I didn't have a NiMH charger and was certain that I
    >> couldn't use my old NiCd-charger, so I had to get a new one with the
    >> Eneloops.
    >>
    >> jue

    >Yes, NiCd and NiMH /do/ require different chargers.
    >
    >David

    No, it all depends on their mAh output. If the NiCd is charging at a 200
    mAh rate or less, then there's no need to get a new charger if all you have
    is an ancient NiCd charger. Yes, it will take longer than the amperage that
    more modern NiMH chargers put out and charge the batteries more quickly,
    but a constant <200 mAh charge on NiMH batteries will not harm them.

    Many NiMH chargers keep a sustained 150mAh charge on batteries after their
    initial full charge to circumvent their internal draining resistance
    (self-discharge rate).

    I'm amazed at the amount of ignorance being displayed by self-appointed
    "pros" in this newsgroup.

    Factual Corrections, Aug 22, 2009
  20. JEP

    nospam Guest

    In article <HXVjm.70822$>, David J
    wrote:

    > > Hmmm, good to know. I didn't have a NiMH charger and was certain that I
    > > couldn't use my old NiCd-charger, so I had to get a new one with the
    > > Eneloops.

    > Yes, NiCd and NiMH /do/ require different chargers.

    more accurately, they require different charge profiles. the same
    charger can do both and should auto-detect the battery type.

    nospam, Aug 22, 2009