    and not draining too quickly?

    Thanks.

    JEP
    Jerold Pearson, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Jerold Pearson

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:22:34 +0000 (UTC), Jerold Pearson
    <> wrote:

    >I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do not
    >seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem to be
    >dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few minutes of use
    >from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 2100) after a full
    >recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries hold their charge better
    >after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries have
    >been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.
    >
    >My questions: Is this the sort of thing that varies from brand to brand in
    >NiMH batteries? If so, which brands are best for retaining their charges
    >and not draining too quickly?

    Most NiMh will self-discharge over a couple of months. Never seen
    anything significant in just 2 days - so maybe your ones are failing.

    Apparently the life of modern NiMh isn't improving in line with the
    higher capacity. Iv'e seen quoted that the current 2500mA batteries
    will probably only be able to hold 1500mA after 2 years of life
    (regardless of use levels, they age on their own, just sitting in a
    box). Production month is therefore relevant (not a problem if you are
    buying the very high capacity cells, because they are a relatively
    recent invention).

    Apparently (again, quoting net sources) some Energizer NiMh's are made
    by Sanyo, and are therefore a very good quality product. I'm unclear
    whether this includes the latest generation of high-capacity NiMhs
    though. I replaced all mine a couple of weeks ago with Energizer
    2500's but haven't really had enough time with them to make a comment
    on their reliability yet.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
    Owamanga, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Jerold Pearson

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > >I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do not
    > >seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem to be
    > >dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few minutes of use
    > >from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 2100) after a full
    > >recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries hold their charge

    better
    > >after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries have
    > >been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.
    > >
    > >My questions: Is this the sort of thing that varies from brand to brand

    in
    > >NiMH batteries? If so, which brands are best for retaining their charges
    > >and not draining too quickly?

    > Most NiMh will self-discharge over a couple of months. Never seen
    > anything significant in just 2 days - so maybe your ones are failing.

    I've got some older (3 years) 1800 mAh NiMH batteries that work reasonably
    well straight out of the charger, but even a couple of days out of the
    charger, and their capacity is noticeably diminished. One of these days
    I'll get around to buying some new ones. Hmm... maybe I'll do it today.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Jerold Pearson <> writes:

    > I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do not
    > seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem to be
    > dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few minutes of use
    > from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 2100) after a full
    > recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries hold their charge better
    > after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries have
    > been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.
    >
    > My questions: Is this the sort of thing that varies from brand to brand in
    > NiMH batteries? If so, which brands are best for retaining their charges
    > and not draining too quickly?

    NiMH will self-discharge obscenely fast -- but that means 10% a week
    or something vaguely in that area, *not* fully in two days. And the
    short use life in your 2100 sounds bad. I'd say that either the
    batteries are bad (even though apparently they're rather new) or else
    your charger isn't actually charging them very well.

    I also hear that they gain life over the first few charges, but I've
    never had the very first charge of any of the several dozen NiMH
    batteries I've used over the years show anything like the awful
    performance you're seeing, so I don't think that's the explanation.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 24, 2005
  5. Jerold Pearson

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:22:34 +0000 (UTC), Jerold Pearson wrote:

    > I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do not
    > seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem to be
    > dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few minutes of use
    > from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 2100) after a full
    > recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries hold their charge better
    > after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries have
    > been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.

    I've read that too, several times. But after charging and testing
    newly purchased NiMH batteries (several brands), couldn't detect any
    significant improvement from the first charge to the 4th or 5th, so
    I don't test that anymore when I get a new brand of NiMH batteries.
    Did your batteries always perform this poorly, or did this recently
    start? How old are they. One thing that's not clear is whether in
    all the time you've had them they've been recharged only 10 or 15
    times. It could also be that they've been used before but you've
    tried recharging them 10 or 15 times since noticing their poor
    performance. Knowing more about the battery's history would help.

    > My questions: Is this the sort of thing that varies from brand to brand in
    > NiMH batteries? If so, which brands are best for retaining their charges
    > and not draining too quickly?

    I have close to a dozen different brands of NiMH batteries and all
    of them self-discharge as expected. That is, if they sit unused for
    a week or two they'll lose some of their charge, but will still
    retain most of it. I took about a dozen pictures today (with
    flash) with a camera that had its AA cells last charged about 3
    weeks ago. They still have plenty of life left in them. You might
    want to get an inexpensive battery tester. One defective NiMH cell
    could make the others appear to be defective even if the rest are
    all good. If none of the cells are defective (accidentally or
    otherwise) you might have batteries that are 2000 mah in name only.
    If you have any other NiMH batteries to compare them to, make sure
    they all weigh about the same. :)
    ASAAR, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Jerold Pearson

    Martin Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:22:34 +0000 (UTC), Jerold Pearson wrote:
    >
    > > I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do not
    > > seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem to be
    > > dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few minutes of

    use
    > > from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 2100) after a full
    > > recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries hold their charge

    better
    > > after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries have
    > > been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.

    I've had a number of NiMH AA cells that never seemed to get fully charged
    and gave up after a very short time in the camera. I was able to get most
    of them, not all, to take a full charge and last a lot longer in the camera
    after I put them through a "conditioning" cycle which is available in the
    charger I now have, a Maha C204. It's apparently a controlled discharge
    sequence which is automatically followed by the actual charging. I believe
    there are other brands that use a similar scheme.
    Martin, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Jerold Pearson

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:52:46 GMT, Martin wrote:

    > I've had a number of NiMH AA cells that never seemed to get fully charged
    > and gave up after a very short time in the camera. I was able to get most
    > of them, not all, to take a full charge and last a lot longer in the camera
    > after I put them through a "conditioning" cycle which is available in the
    > charger I now have, a Maha C204. It's apparently a controlled discharge
    > sequence which is automatically followed by the actual charging. I believe
    > there are other brands that use a similar scheme.

    Maha chargers have long had good reputations, but I don't have any
    of that brand. One of my old RS chargers has a discharge function
    but it's poorly implemented. Charging and discharging is done in
    pairs, resulting in only one of the pair ever being fully
    discharged. Even Sony makes a nice little charger that charges &
    discharges individual cells, and has a graphic LCD display to show
    each cell's progress. My Fuji camera also has a "battery discharge"
    feature, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to be implemented as well as
    most standalone chargers. If the cells are selected so that their
    capacities are closely matched, there shouldn't be a problem, even
    with the crude RS charger. I've got several RS chargers that are so
    old that their normal charge rate qualifies them as little more than
    trickle chargers for today's higher capacity batteries, so they
    still have some value. :)
    ASAAR, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Jerold Pearson

    Tom Randy Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:22:34 +0000, Jerold Pearson wrote:

    > I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do not
    > seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem to be
    > dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few minutes of use
    > from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 2100) after a full
    > recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries hold their charge
    > better after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries
    > have been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.
    >
    > My questions: Is this the sort of thing that varies from brand to brand in
    > NiMH batteries? If so, which brands are best for retaining their charges
    > and not draining too quickly?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > JEP

    How old are these batteries? How many charges have they had so far? No way
    should they be dead in 2 days if fully charged. They lose about 1% a day
    just sitting from what I understand. I use Maha amd RS batteries in a Maha
    C401FS charger and they work great.

    Tom
    Tom Randy, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Jerold Pearson

    Tom Randy Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:04:45 -0700, Steve Wolfe wrote:

    >> >I have some rechargable Lenmar NiMH batteries (2000 mAh, AA) that do
    >> >not seem to hold their charge. Even with no use whatsoever, they seem
    >> >to be dead a day or two after a full recharge. I get only a few
    >> >minutes of use from them when I put them in my camera (Nikon Coolpix
    >> >2100) after a full recharge. I think I recall reading that batteries
    >> >hold their charge

    > better
    >> >after they've been recharged a number of times, but these batteries
    >> >have been recharged at least 10 or 15 times.
    >> >
    >> >My questions: Is this the sort of thing that varies from brand to brand

    > in
    >> >NiMH batteries? If so, which brands are best for retaining their
    >> >charges and not draining too quickly?

    >> Most NiMh will self-discharge over a couple of months. Never seen
    >> anything significant in just 2 days - so maybe your ones are failing.

    > I've got some older (3 years) 1800 mAh NiMH batteries that work
    > reasonably
    > well straight out of the charger, but even a couple of days out of the
    > charger, and their capacity is noticeably diminished. One of these days
    > I'll get around to buying some new ones. Hmm... maybe I'll do it today.
    >
    > steve

    After a long time of use when I start to see usage time drop on a set I
    check the battery voltages and typically one is MUCH lower than the
    others. I toss this one out. I find at that stage they are done. But this
    is usually after MANY, MANY, MANY charges over it's life. So it's normal
    for one to crap out every once in a blue moon.

    Tom
    Tom Randy, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Me, too.My old set of ni-cd batteries, which was left sitting for over a
    decade had the same problem.Now, I have sanyo nicds with an orbit charger
    (only 11 euro) and they work perfectly with my kodak cx 7300.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Apr 4, 2005