    their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
    the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    Cliffy, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Cliffy

    Uno Hoo! Guest

    "Cliffy" <> wrote in message
    news:tqEwd.3068$...
    >I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    >camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    >their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
    >the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    >standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    How old are the batteries? Re-chargeable batteries have a finite life and
    eventually begin to fail and lose their charge rapidly. If this is the case
    then just throw them away and replace them - they are cheap enough. If the
    batteries are fairly new then I would suggest that you have problems with
    the charger - Ni-Mh batteries should not lose power as rapidly as this.

    Kev

    Uno Hoo!, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Cliffy

    punk Guest

    Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride batteries
    lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out of
    the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
    batteries are much better that way.

    punk, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Cliffy

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Cliffy wrote:
    > I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    > camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    > their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
    > the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    > standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    Hi...

    Something's terrible wrong with either your batteries or
    your charger. Given that you've two sets of batteries
    most likely your charger. After only a week they should
    be virtually still fully charged.

    Unless that is, you've mixed the sets of batteries - and
    one "set" of four is on it's last legs, but mixed in so as
    to be some of in each set.

    For a start, how about asking a friend or neighbor to
    charge them up for you - perhaps eliminate the charger
    as a suspect.

    Should that fail, know it's a bad time of the year, but if
    the budget permits, try a new set of four batteries.
    (and if it hasn't been your practice so far; mark these
    as a set with a bit of tape or a marker pen - then use them
    and charge them only as a set)

    Hope this helps.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Cliffy

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    punk wrote:

    > Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride batteries
    > lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out of
    > the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
    > batteries are much better that way.

    Hi Punk... (somehow that doesn't feel right :)

    I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
    but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

    Nevertheless, even if it were fact; then instead of
    going out and taking a couple hundred pics, he'd be
    down to only 186... hardly noticable.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Cliffy

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > > Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride
    batteries
    > > lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out

    of
    > > the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
    > > batteries are much better that way.

    > Hi Punk... (somehow that doesn't feel right :)
    >
    > I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
    > but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

    NiMH batteries have some interesting drawbacks, here's a good URL:

    Couple the facts that NiMH batteries are only good for about 500 cycles,
    deep discharges shorten battery life, and that they can self-discharge 15%
    to 20% within the first day, and with moderate use, it doesn't take terribly
    long before you're just not getting much use out of them.

    I have a good number of AA NiMH batteries that I've used on my digital
    camera (light to moderate duty) for about two years, and they still work -
    but don't hold nearly as much as when new, and if I want a lot of use out of
    them, I have to grab them straight from the charger.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 17, 2004
  7. Cliffy

    MTBike1970 Guest

    "Cliffy" <> wrote in message
    > I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    > camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    > their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

    use
    > the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    > standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    here are a couple of websites if you want to read up on this topic...

    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

    http://www.buchmann.ca/

    cheers...MTB

    MTBike1970, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Cliffy

    Ronald Hands Guest

    > Cliffy wrote:
    >
    >> I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    >> camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries
    >> loose their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I
    >> want to use the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone
    >> and so are the standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to
    >> have a ready camera?

    I have three sets of NiMH batteries that I use in two Canon powershot
    cameras (4 AAs in each case). One set is from LenMar (came with my
    charger); one is Optex; the third set is from Eveready Energizer. The
    Energizers have never held a decent charge. In fact, they seem to
    perform about the same as the ones you are complaining about. Mine are
    supposedly 1850 maH and are made in Japan. They test fine after
    charging; they just don't have any stamina. The other battery sets work
    just fine.
    In your case, I think it would be worth trying a set from a different
    manufacturer.

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Dec 17, 2004
  9. "Cliffy" <> wrote in message
    >I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    >camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    >their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
    >the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    >standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    Although NiMH cells are noted for their high self-discharge rate, I'd say
    yours might be defective. Generally, they are still useful after 1 month of
    non-use (at room temperature). Two months is pushing it and three months
    generally means they are dead.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 17, 2004
  10. Cliffy

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > >I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    > >camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    > >their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

    use
    > >the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    > >standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    > Although NiMH cells are noted for their high self-discharge rate, I'd say
    > yours might be defective. Generally, they are still useful after 1 month

    of
    > non-use (at room temperature). Two months is pushing it and three months
    > generally means they are dead.

    When they're brand-new, I'd agree - when mine were new, I never worried
    about letting them sit, and never had a problem. But now that they're a
    couple of years old, they won't last two weeks after being taken out of the
    charger. Fresh from the charger, they're still pretty good, but letting
    them sit drains them fast. The newer sets that I've bought are better about
    it, but as they age, they're starting to lose it as well.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 17, 2004
  11. Cliffy

    John Wright Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" wrote >

    > I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
    > but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

    Not Exaggerated at all.

    A good description of rechargeable battery behavious at
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/documents/battery_myths.htm and at
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/documents/Battery_FAQ.htm. And the reference
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000352.htm given by Steve in this
    thread is also saying the same.

    Here are a few clips above articles -

    "Alkaline batteries stored at "room temperature" self discharge at a rate of
    less than two percent per year. So normally refrigerating or freezing them
    will only help maintain their charge by a tiny amount. Hardly worth the
    effort of chilling them. However, if alkaline batteries are stored at
    higher temperatures they will start to lose capacity much quicker. At 85
    degrees F they only lose about 5% per year, but at 100 degrees they lose 25%
    per year. So if you live in a very hot climate or are storing your
    batteries in a very hot location, it may be worthwhile for you to store your
    alkaline batteries in a refrigerator instead."
    "NiMH and NiCd batteries self discharge at a MUCH faster rate than alkaline
    batteries. In fact, at "room temperature" (about 70 degrees F) NiMH and
    NiCD batteries will self discharge a few percent PER DAY. Storing them at
    lower temperatures will slow their self discharge rate dramatically. NiMH
    batteries stored at freezing will retain over 90% of their charge for full
    month. So it might make sense to store them in a freezer. If you do, it's
    best to bring them back to room temperature before using them. Even if you
    don't freeze your NiMH batteries after charging them, you should store them
    in a cool place to minimize their self discharge."

    "The rate of self discharge for any battery depends on the temperature at
    which it's stored at. Stored at 70 degrees F (20 C) NiMH batteries will
    lose up to 40% of their charge within a month. If they are stored at a
    higher temperature, they will self discharge at an even higher rate."

    "Self-discharge: Both NiMH and NICAD are affected by reasonably high
    self-discharge . The NICAD loses about 10% of its capacity within the first
    24 hours, after which the self-discharge settles to about 10% per month. The
    self-discharge of the NiMH is one-and-a-half to two times higher than that
    of the NICAD. Selecting hydride materials that improve hydrogen bonding to
    reduce self-discharge typically also decrease the battery capacity."

    Regards - JW

    John Wright, Dec 17, 2004
  12. Cliffy

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message

    > "Cliffy" <> wrote in message
    >>I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    >>camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    >>their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to
    >>use the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    >>standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    > Although NiMH cells are noted for their high self-discharge rate, I'd say
    > yours might be defective. Generally, they are still useful after 1 month
    > of non-use (at room temperature). Two months is pushing it and three
    > months generally means they are dead.

    I've found good NiMH's do not lose their charge as fast as generally stated.
    I got 22 weeks of in camera use taking almost 200 shots in my A40 using
    Quest. My Digital brand also do about same. I have some Rinpoche and they
    don't do at all well and I do not use in camera at all.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 17, 2004
  13. Cliffy

    Denis Marier Guest

    Before offering some information, how old are the batteries and what type of
    memory card you have. What is the present version of your firmware in you
    camera. Has the Olympus people made and update for your firmware.
    If you charge your battery and leave them in the camera how long will it
    take to discharge without taking any pictures?.
    If you leave a charged battery on the shelf how long will it take to
    discharge?
    Once I know the answers to these questions we will be in position to have a
    better picture of the situation.

    Denis Marier, Dec 18, 2004
  14. Cliffy

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <FCUwd.197218$>,
    "Denis Marier" <> wrote:

    > Before offering some information, how old are the batteries and what type of
    > memory card you have. What is the present version of your firmware in you
    > camera. Has the Olympus people made and update for your firmware.
    > If you charge your battery and leave them in the camera how long will it
    > take to discharge without taking any pictures?.
    > If you leave a charged battery on the shelf how long will it take to
    > discharge?
    > Once I know the answers to these questions we will be in position to have a
    > better picture of the situation.
    >
    > "Cliffy" <> wrote in message
    > > I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    > > camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    > > their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

    > use
    > > the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    > > standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

    First does your charger fully charge your batteries?

    On the back of your charger is the output in mAh.
    On your battery is the capacity in mAh.
    Add 40% to the battery capacity and divide the charger output into the
    capacity (+ 40 %)

    The result is the amount of time it takes for your charger to fully
    charge your batteries.

    Now, does your charger turn off before that amount of time? If so your
    batteries are not fully charged.

    Does your charger require that you insert pairs of batteries?

    If so your charger probably stops charging the pair when after one of
    the batteries is fully charged. In that case the other may not be fully
    charged.

    Does your charger test your cells to see what their condition is? And if
    it detects a problem reform the cells? If not you are not getting full
    charge.

    Does your charger make the cells get hot during charging?

    If so it is ruining the cells.

    If your charger turns off before your cells are charged or requires
    pairs of cells or does not test your cells or overheats the cells then
    you will get far better performance from a smart charger.

    With a good smart charger cells are always charged to 100% full capacity
    and a set of cells can be left in without overheating so a spare set is
    always ready.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Dec 18, 2004
  15. << I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
    the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera? >>

    Cliffy-

    I've fought the rechargeable battle for years. What you experience is normal.
    If not when the batteries are new, then certainly later in their life.

    My Olympus C-3040Z came with a set of CR-V3 lithium batteries, but I didn't
    want to spend the money it might cost to use them. However, I got so tired of
    the AA NiMH cells being dead when I needed them, that I decided to go back to
    the CR-V3s.

    Yes they cost more, but it is well worth it to me to be able to depend on them
    when it might be several weeks between uses of the camera. If your D-560 can
    use them, you might give the CR-V3 lithium batteries a try. If the CR-V3s
    don't fit the D-560, there are lithium AA cells available that may work for
    you.

    As with any battery, it is a good idea to have a spare set. With the CR-V3s,
    you will have plenty of time to acquire a replacement for the spare.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Dec 18, 2004
  16. Cliffy

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Fred McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    > << I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
    > camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
    > their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to
    > use
    > the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
    > standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?
    > >>

    > Cliffy-
    >
    > I've fought the rechargeable battle for years. What you experience is
    > normal.
    > If not when the batteries are new, then certainly later in their life.
    >
    > My Olympus C-3040Z came with a set of CR-V3 lithium batteries, but I
    > didn't
    > want to spend the money it might cost to use them. However, I got so
    > tired of
    > the AA NiMH cells being dead when I needed them, that I decided to go back
    > the CR-V3s.
    >
    > Yes they cost more, but it is well worth it to me to be able to depend on
    > them
    > when it might be several weeks between uses of the camera. If your D-560
    > can
    > use them, you might give the CR-V3 lithium batteries a try. If the CR-V3s
    > don't fit the D-560, there are lithium AA cells available that may work
    > for
    > you.
    >
    > As with any battery, it is a good idea to have a spare set. With the
    > CR-V3s,
    > you will have plenty of time to acquire a replacement for the spare.
    >
    > Fred

    I've had Quest batteries in my canon A40 for over 20 weeks and close to 200
    shots. Digital brand do just as well. I now have an A95 and the Digitals are
    in that and show every indication of doing just as well. Yes, NiMH's will
    lose charge over time, but with decent one's this shouldn't be a problem for
    normal camera use. You either have bad batteries or they aren't getting
    charged. If your experience were typical, nobody would use NiMH in cameras.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 19, 2004
  17. Cliffy

    Fred Guest

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

    This link provides some excellent batteries and chargers. Go MAHA brand and
    you will be ok.

    Fred, Dec 20, 2004

  18. > When they're brand-new, I'd agree - when mine were new, I never worried
    > about letting them sit, and never had a problem. But now that they're a
    > couple of years old, they won't last two weeks after being taken out of
    > the
    > charger. Fresh from the charger, they're still pretty good, but letting
    > them sit drains them fast. The newer sets that I've bought are better
    > about
    > it, but as they age, they're starting to lose it as well.

    Yes, that is also what I have experienced.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 20, 2004