battery problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bernard Arnest, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. Dear Group,

    A year ago I got a canon S2IS, and also 2 sets of 4 2500mAh
    energizer rechargeable batteries and the standard (not quick-charge)
    recharger for them.

    I'm not quite so picture-happy as my parents :p, so I really
    haven't used it that much. Maybe a couple hundred photos in the past
    year? Only for special things. The batteries have been recharged
    maybe a score of times, they SHOULD still be good.

    However, they' re draining impossibly fast! I recharged both sets
    2 days ago. I put one in the camera. I took, oh, 10 shots over two
    days. They're dead now. I didn't leave the camera on, and wasn't even
    using the flash. The second set? I just popped them in. Already
    drained, and they haven't been put to use yet.

    Is it the camera, somehow thinking they're dead when they're not?
    The same batteries DO seem to work in my power toothbrush, at least,
    even if they're drained to my camera. Or are the batteries somehow
    shot, as little as I've used them? Or is the recharger not recharging?
    I'm assuming that I pop them in the recharger, plug it in, and come
    back later when the light on the charger is out; that they're not going
    to start draining of their own accord if I've left them in the charger
    too long? Maybe it's a matter of voltage; all the amps are there, but
    the batteries aren't getting enough voltage for the camera, even if
    other things are working fine off of them?

    Have you had similar problems yourself? My camera is unusable
    with battery life this short, of 0-20 minutes, and I don't feel like
    paying for more new rechargeable batteries, or burning through
    alkalines just yet.

    thanks!
    -Bernard Arnest

    Bernard Arnest, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Bernard Arnest wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > A year ago I got a canon S2IS, and also 2 sets of 4 2500mAh
    > energizer rechargeable batteries and the standard (not quick-charge)
    > recharger for them.

    Does that charger require you to charge the batteries two or four at a
    time? Is it possible to charge only one battery at a time?

    If it requires pairs, I suggest you problem is the charger, not the
    camera or the batteries. Any charger that does not charge each battery by
    itself, is likely to damage batteries.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Bernard Arnest

    ASAAR Guest

    On 17 Aug 2006 08:41:45 -0700, Bernard Arnest wrote:

    > I'm not quite so picture-happy as my parents :p, so I really
    > haven't used it that much. Maybe a couple hundred photos in the past
    > year? Only for special things. The batteries have been recharged
    > maybe a score of times, they SHOULD still be good.
    >
    > However, they' re draining impossibly fast! I recharged both sets
    > 2 days ago. I put one in the camera. I took, oh, 10 shots over two
    > days. They're dead now. I didn't leave the camera on, and wasn't even
    > using the flash. The second set? I just popped them in. Already
    > drained, and they haven't been put to use yet.
    >
    > Is it the camera, somehow thinking they're dead when they're not?
    > The same batteries DO seem to work in my power toothbrush, at least,
    > even if they're drained to my camera. Or are the batteries somehow
    > shot, as little as I've used them? Or is the recharger not recharging?
    > I'm assuming that I pop them in the recharger, plug it in, and come
    > back later when the light on the charger is out; that they're not going
    > to start draining of their own accord if I've left them in the charger
    > too long? Maybe it's a matter of voltage; all the amps are there, but
    > the batteries aren't getting enough voltage for the camera, even if
    > other things are working fine off of them?

    Rechargeable batteries really like to be used often. Leaving them
    in the charger too long is not nearly as bad as leaving them out of
    the charger for too long. What can really damage rechargeable
    batteries is if they're left for a *long* time in a device that
    slowly drains them. I'm not talking about extremely low currents
    such as clock calendar chips that could run for several years on a
    single alkaline battery, but cameras that have much greater small
    current drains when the camera is powered off. If a fresh set of
    alkalines will not last a year in a camera that's never turned on,
    that camera can kill rechargeable NiMH batteries if they're left in
    the camera for several months between charges. Your electric
    toothbrush uses *much* less power than the camera, so if your
    batteries have been abused to the point that they've lost 90% of
    their capacity, they'd still be able to power your toothbrush for
    quite a long time, maybe for a week or two of daily use after they
    don't have enough energy left to power the camera any more.

    With the number of pictures you say you take per year, you really
    don't need to use rechargeable batteries. You could probably get by
    with from 1 to 4 sets of alkaline AA batteries per year. Only one
    set if you rarely use the flash. Up to four sets if most of your
    pictures are taken using the flash. Check your manual. Somewhere
    in it will be a table showing how many shots it can take using
    alkaline and NiMH batteries under different conditions.

    ASAAR, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Bernard Arnest wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > A year ago I got a canon S2IS, and also 2 sets of 4 2500mAh
    > energizer rechargeable batteries and the standard (not quick-charge)
    > recharger for them.
    >
    > I'm not quite so picture-happy as my parents :p, so I really
    > haven't used it that much. Maybe a couple hundred photos in the past
    > year? Only for special things. The batteries have been recharged
    > maybe a score of times, they SHOULD still be good.
    >
    > However, they' re draining impossibly fast! I recharged both sets
    > 2 days ago. I put one in the camera. I took, oh, 10 shots over two
    > days. They're dead now. I didn't leave the camera on, and wasn't even
    > using the flash. The second set? I just popped them in. Already
    > drained, and they haven't been put to use yet.
    >
    > Is it the camera, somehow thinking they're dead when they're not?
    > The same batteries DO seem to work in my power toothbrush, at least,
    > even if they're drained to my camera. Or are the batteries somehow
    > shot, as little as I've used them? Or is the recharger not recharging?
    > I'm assuming that I pop them in the recharger, plug it in, and come
    > back later when the light on the charger is out; that they're not going
    > to start draining of their own accord if I've left them in the charger
    > too long? Maybe it's a matter of voltage; all the amps are there, but
    > the batteries aren't getting enough voltage for the camera, even if
    > other things are working fine off of them?
    >

    > Have you had similar problems yourself? My camera is unusable
    > with battery life this short, of 0-20 minutes, and I don't feel like
    > paying for more new rechargeable batteries, or burning through
    > alkalines just yet.
    >

    > thanks!
    > -Bernard Arnest

    I had the same problem. Replacing the batteries cured it.
    HTH,
    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, Aug 17, 2006
  5. "Ernie Willson" <> wrote in message
    > Bernard Arnest wrote:
    > > Dear Group,
    > >
    > > A year ago I got a canon S2IS, and also 2 sets of 4 2500mAh
    > > energizer rechargeable batteries and the standard (not quick-charge)
    > > recharger for them.
    > >
    > > I'm not quite so picture-happy as my parents :p, so I really
    > > haven't used it that much. Maybe a couple hundred photos in the past
    > > year? Only for special things. The batteries have been recharged
    > > maybe a score of times, they SHOULD still be good.
    > >
    > > However, they' re draining impossibly fast! I recharged both sets
    > > 2 days ago. I put one in the camera. I took, oh, 10 shots over two
    > > days. They're dead now. I didn't leave the camera on, and wasn't even
    > > using the flash. The second set? I just popped them in. Already
    > > drained, and they haven't been put to use yet.
    > >
    > > Is it the camera, somehow thinking they're dead when they're not?
    > > The same batteries DO seem to work in my power toothbrush, at least,
    > > even if they're drained to my camera. Or are the batteries somehow
    > > shot, as little as I've used them? Or is the recharger not recharging?
    > > I'm assuming that I pop them in the recharger, plug it in, and come
    > > back later when the light on the charger is out; that they're not going
    > > to start draining of their own accord if I've left them in the charger
    > > too long? Maybe it's a matter of voltage; all the amps are there, but
    > > the batteries aren't getting enough voltage for the camera, even if
    > > other things are working fine off of them?
    > >

    > > Have you had similar problems yourself? My camera is unusable
    > > with battery life this short, of 0-20 minutes, and I don't feel like
    > > paying for more new rechargeable batteries, or burning through
    > > alkalines just yet.
    > >

    > > thanks!
    > > -Bernard Arnest
    > >

    > I had the same problem. Replacing the batteries cured it.
    > HTH,
    > EJ in NJ

    Try cleaning the contacts of each battery. Could be that they've got some
    dirt on them.

    If these batteries are NiCd then, yes, they do discharge over a period of
    time. They do like to be used regularly and will deteriorate if they are
    left to stand for months.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Aug 19, 2006