Battery pack question...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al A., Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Al A.

    Al A. Guest

    Hi All,
    I recently got a Canon Digital rebel XT. I am going to
    order a spare battery pack for it. Do any of you have any
    experiece/opinions on the "aftermarket" battery packs that
    are around? As an example, B&H has the standard Canon pack
    here:

    http://tinyurl.com/j9cg8

    for 49.95. It is specd. as 720 mAH.

    B&H also lists this one by "Impact" :

    http://tinyurl.com/k7cz7

    for 32.95, and claims to be 900 mAH.

    Two questions:

    Is this a get-what-you-pay-for sort of thing where the cheaper battery
    is in fact, not as good, or is the only difference the "Canon" label on
    the more expensive one?

    Is the 900 mAH rating on the Impact battery just marketing nonsense?

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Regards,
    Al A.

    Al A., Feb 25, 2006

  2. Al A.

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:40:44 -0500, Al A. wrote:

    > Two questions:
    >
    > Is this a get-what-you-pay-for sort of thing where the cheaper battery
    > is in fact, not as good, or is the only difference the "Canon" label on
    > the more expensive one?

    The evidence seems to be that the cheaper batteries are just as
    good as the ones with the manufacturer's name on them, if bought
    from a reputable source. You're at much greater risk to get
    substandard batteries from eBay, although some eBay dealers probably
    sell decent batteries.

    > Is the 900 mAH rating on the Impact battery just marketing nonsense?

    It may be accurate and it may be nonsense. I'm not familiar with
    the Impact brand. But at $49.95 for a Canon battery, $32.95 isn't
    an especially good value. B&H is an excellent dealer, but their
    battery prices tend to be high. Adorama and J&R also sell
    replacement batteries, and their prices should be far lower,
    probably a little below $20 for batteries for Canon cameras, maybe a
    little higher for others. If their batteries were labeled 900mAh
    but were actually only 720mAh, they'd still be a great value. You
    could get two batteries having twice the capacity, and still pay
    less than if you bought one Canon battery. The replacement battery
    I bought from J&R for my old Canon S20 cost $20, was made by Maxell
    and performed just as well as the far more expensive Canon battery.
    They also sell Power2000 Li-Ion batteries which others have found to
    be as good as the originals. I only have experience with Power2000
    NiMH AA cells, and found them to be very good as well.

    ASAAR, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Al A.

    Al A. Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:40:44 -0500, Al A. wrote:
    >

    >>Two questions:
    >>
    >> Is this a get-what-you-pay-for sort of thing where the cheaper battery
    >>is in fact, not as good, or is the only difference the "Canon" label on
    >>the more expensive one?

    > The evidence seems to be that the cheaper batteries are just as
    > good as the ones with the manufacturer's name on them, if bought
    > from a reputable source. You're at much greater risk to get
    > substandard batteries from eBay, although some eBay dealers probably
    > sell decent batteries.
    >

    >> Is the 900 mAH rating on the Impact battery just marketing nonsense?

    > It may be accurate and it may be nonsense. I'm not familiar with
    > the Impact brand. But at $49.95 for a Canon battery, $32.95 isn't
    > an especially good value. B&H is an excellent dealer, but their
    > battery prices tend to be high. Adorama and J&R also sell
    > replacement batteries, and their prices should be far lower,
    > probably a little below $20 for batteries for Canon cameras, maybe a
    > little higher for others. If their batteries were labeled 900mAh
    > but were actually only 720mAh, they'd still be a great value. You
    > could get two batteries having twice the capacity, and still pay
    > less than if you bought one Canon battery. The replacement battery
    > I bought from J&R for my old Canon S20 cost $20, was made by Maxell
    > and performed just as well as the far more expensive Canon battery.
    > They also sell Power2000 Li-Ion batteries which others have found to
    > be as good as the originals. I only have experience with Power2000
    > NiMH AA cells, and found them to be very good as well.

    Thanks for the reply. I was planning to buy from one of the bigger
    dealers, I find Ebay to be a bit too much bother for my taste on stuff
    like this. Your input is most helpful, I really wanted just to see if
    anyone else has had any "bad Experiences" with such things. I just
    picked out the B&H units because that was where my wife got my camera
    from. I will check out the J&R and ADORAMA sites before I order anything.

    I appreciate your taking the time to reply.
    -Al A.

    Al A., Feb 25, 2006
  4. Al A.

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:19:16 -0500, Al A. wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply.

    You're welcome. Should you ever decide to get a second charger
    it's a similar situation, where the original manufacturer's charger
    can sell for 2x to 6x the price (and higher) of what replacements
    would go for in the same stores (B&H, Adorama, J&R, etc.).

    ASAAR, Feb 25, 2006