    Canon?

    Thanks for your help!
    BEK
    BEK, Nov 18, 2005

  2. On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:15:00 -0800, "BEK" <>
    wrote:

    >I recently purchased an S80 and would like a second battery pack. I've
    >found the online prices for OEM batteries to be in the $50 range. There are
    >a plethora of non-OEM batteries available for much less. Is there a risk of
    >damaging my new camera with one of these less costly batteries? Is there a
    >reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
    >Canon?
    >
    >Thanks for your help!
    >BEK

    Check out www.sterlingtek.com.

    No problem with third party batteries. Use them in my 20D.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Nov 18, 2005

  3. BEK

    Bob Anderson Guest

    wrote:

    >I recently purchased an S80 and would like a second battery pack. I've
    >found the online prices for OEM batteries to be in the $50 range. There are
    >a plethora of non-OEM batteries available for much less. Is there a risk of
    >damaging my new camera with one of these less costly batteries? Is there a
    >reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
    >Canon?

    I have an Powershot S410, and have both Canon and third party
    batteries, both work fine in the S410.

    One is made in China, no brand on the battery. The other is an
    Energizer brand. Both are the same size as the original, fit in the
    camera and charger. I alternate between the various batteries, have at
    least two with me when I use the camera.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon
    Bob Anderson, Nov 18, 2005
  4. BEK

    Bob Anderson Guest

    wrote:

    >Is there a
    >reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
    >Canon?

    check TigerDirect
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Nav=|c:1||c:39||c:1431|

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon
    Bob Anderson, Nov 18, 2005
  5. On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:28:32 -0800, Bob Anderson
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:15:00 -0800, "BEK" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a
    >>reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
    >>Canon?

    >check TigerDirect
    >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Nav=|c:1||c:39||c:1431|

    I would be very wary of doing any business with Tiger Direct.

    They have a 5.6 Resellerating.com rating.

    And others have had problems

    http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/complaints/2005/MAR/complaint6317.cfm

    http://www.dealtime.com/xMR-TigerDirect.com~MRD-90006~PG-2

    "There has always been war. War is raging throughout the world
    at the present moment. And there is little reason to believe
    that war will cease to exist in the future. As man has become
    increasingly civilized, his means of destroying his fellow man
    have become ever more efficient, cruel and devastating.
    Is it possible to put an end to a form of human behavior which
    has existed throughout history by means of photography?
    The proportions of that notion seem ridiculously out of balance.
    Yet, that very idea has motivated me.

    James Nachtwey
    War Photographer
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Nov 19, 2005
  6. BEK

    timeOday Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:15:00 -0800, "BEK" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I recently purchased an S80 and would like a second battery pack. I've
    >>found the online prices for OEM batteries to be in the $50 range. There are
    >>a plethora of non-OEM batteries available for much less. Is there a risk of
    >>damaging my new camera with one of these less costly batteries? Is there a
    >>reputable dealer who sells non-OEM or should I just suck it up and buy the
    >>Canon?
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help!
    >>BEK
    >>

    > Check out www.sterlingtek.com.
    >
    > No problem with third party batteries. Use them in my 20D.

    YMMV.

    I got a stirlingtek battery for my S100.
    The first few cycles it worked great, then it rapidly degraded and now I
    can't even get off one shot with it before it dies.

    If you go for one, I suggest keeping the paperwork so you can return it
    if necessary.
    timeOday, Nov 19, 2005
  7. BEK

    Dogfart Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, at 08:15:00 [GMT -0800] (03:15:00 Saturday, 19 November
    2005 where I live) "BEK" wrote:

    > I recently purchased an S80

    Apart from the battery issue, how do you find the camera, particularly the
    quality of the photographs?

    I have only had a brief chance to handle one, and I was concerned re the
    screen at the back seeming to have no protection from scratches etc. (I need
    to keep it in my briefcase).
    Dogfart, Nov 24, 2005