    "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would help if you
    told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the same time (20-40),
    or just a few, store the camera, and take it out again two weeks later.

    Doug Kanter, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Doug Kanter wrote:
    > OK...I posted a question about battery life for a specific camera a
    > few days ago, and I guess nobody responded because of the camera in
    > question. So:
    >
    > I'm interested in how many shots any of you are getting from cameras
    > in the "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would
    > help if you told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the
    > same time (20-40), or just a few, store the camera, and take it out
    > again two weeks later.

    While I have been able to do a couple hindered on one set of batteries
    over a week or two. It can vary a great deal depending on the camera
    resolution, flash time on and batteries.

    When I first got my current digital, an Olympus, I used alkaline
    batteries, very short life. Now with good rechargeable, it gives very good
    life.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    > > OK...I posted a question about battery life for a specific camera a
    > > few days ago, and I guess nobody responded because of the camera in
    > > question. So:
    > >
    > > I'm interested in how many shots any of you are getting from cameras
    > > in the "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would
    > > help if you told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the
    > > same time (20-40), or just a few, store the camera, and take it out
    > > again two weeks later.

    > While I have been able to do a couple hindered on one set of batteries
    > over a week or two. It can vary a great deal depending on the camera
    > resolution, flash time on and batteries.
    >
    > When I first got my current digital, an Olympus, I used alkaline
    > batteries, very short life. Now with good rechargeable, it gives very

    good
    > life.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Which Olympus, and how many rechargables do you carry if you're away from AC
    power?

    Doug Kanter, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Doug Kanter wrote:
    > OK...I posted a question about battery life for a specific camera a
    > few days ago, and I guess nobody responded because of the camera in
    > question. So:
    >
    > I'm interested in how many shots any of you are getting from cameras
    > in the "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would
    > help if you told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the
    > same time (20-40), or just a few, store the camera, and take it out
    > again two weeks later.

    I have a Toshiba PDR-4300 which is definitely a cheap P&S and considered a
    bit of a battery hog (4 AA).

    I get about 100 shots per charge regardless, but that may have more do to
    with the fact that my 128Meg card holds just over 100 shots and I tend to
    recharge the batteries everytime I clean out the card regardless of whether
    they need it or not.

    This is with 2100mA NiMH batteries. With NiCd I get about 50 pictures, 30
    with Alkalines.
    What is odd is that the NiMH don't have twice the mA of the NiCd.

    --
    Dominic Richens |
    "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

    Dominic Richens, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Doug Kanter wrote:

    > Which Olympus, and how many rechargables do you carry if you're away
    > from AC power?

    It is a C-700. It takes four cells AA size. When traveling I generally
    take four cells in the camera and four additional. I have yet to need the
    four additional. All cells are 1800 Ni

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Doug Kanter

    Matt Ion Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <> wrote in message
    > OK...I posted a question about battery life for a specific camera a few

    days
    > ago, and I guess nobody responded because of the camera in question. So:
    >
    > I'm interested in how many shots any of you are getting from cameras in

    the
    > "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would help if you
    > told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the same time

    (20-40),
    > or just a few, store the camera, and take it out again two weeks later.

    I've had varying results with a Kodak EasyShare camera (forget the exact
    model, it's a 3.2MP)... two AAs will last anywhere from a week to a couple
    months, sometimes running down to the "low" mark quickly and then continuing
    to work there for a couple weeks. The NiMH battery that came with the
    camera dock worked great at first but after a few months it won't hold a
    charege.

    The one thing that kill batteries fastest is using the LCD viewfinder,
    especially if it's got a bright backlight. Flash is probably the next
    greatest eater of batteries, but is a distant second to the LCD.

    Matt Ion, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Doug Kanter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > OK...I posted a question about battery life for a specific camera a few days
    > ago, and I guess nobody responded because of the camera in question. So:
    >
    > I'm interested in how many shots any of you are getting from cameras in the
    > "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would help if you
    > told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the same time (20-40),
    > or just a few, store the camera, and take it out again two weeks later.

    Since my camera usually has NIMH batteries in it, I keep it charged all
    the time. However, on a recent vacation it took 200 pictures (with
    considerable review time (lcd on)) before it showed the low battery
    indicator. Newer cameras seem to have lower battery drain than older
    ones. Beyond that, the charger seems to be the most important part of
    the whole package. Don't skimp on the charger!

    Ron Hunter, Jul 24, 2004
  8. "Joseph Meehan" <> writes:

    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    > >
    > > Which Olympus, and how many rechargables do you carry if you're away
    > > from AC power?

    > It is a C-700. It takes four cells AA size. When traveling I generally
    > take four cells in the camera and four additional. I have yet to need the
    > four additional. All cells are 1800 Ni

    It depends on how many pictures I take. For my Olympus C-2100UZ, I usually use
    the external battery Digipower DPS-9000 plus the 4 internal AA batteries. Last
    weekend, I was shooting the Maine Renaissance Faire, and shot 510 pictures in 8
    hours (9:30 - 5:30), and the DPS-9000 was nearly exhausted. With the AA
    batteries alone, I get ~ 4 hours when I'm in full shooting mode. I use a
    variety of AA rechargables (Energizer 2300's, Sanyo 2100's, Rayovac 1600's,
    etc.). I tend to carry ~ 4 sets of AA's for both the flash and camera plus the
    DPS-9000.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 24, 2004
  9. Doug Kanter

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Doug Kanter wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK...I posted a question about battery life for a specific camera a
    >>>few days ago, and I guess nobody responded because of the camera in
    >>>question. So:
    >>>
    >>>I'm interested in how many shots any of you are getting from cameras
    >>>in the "point & shoot" category, before the batteries die. It would
    >>>help if you told me whether you tend you take lots of pictures at the
    >>>same time (20-40), or just a few, store the camera, and take it out
    >>>again two weeks later.

    >> While I have been able to do a couple hindered on one set of batteries
    >>over a week or two. It can vary a great deal depending on the camera
    >>resolution, flash time on and batteries.
    >>
    >> When I first got my current digital, an Olympus, I used alkaline
    >>batteries, very short life. Now with good rechargeable, it gives very

    > good
    >
    >>life.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Joseph E. Meehan
    >>
    >>26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    > Which Olympus, and how many rechargables do you carry if you're away from AC
    > power?

    Using canon A40, over 350 in a short period (3-4 weeks). Something over
    200 in a longer period (22 weeks or more). The latter seems to be my
    normal shooting pattern, so by this ng standards I'm virtually a non
    user!! I carry a spare set which I tend to top off at about 6 week
    intervals. The ones in the camera stay in until they die, then I swap.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Hi Dominic,

    You wrote:

    << (I get 100 shots) with 2100mA NiMH batteries. With NiCd I get about 50
    pictures, 30
    with Alkalines.>>

    <<What is odd is that the NiMH don't have twice the mA of the NiCd.>>

    We're frequently asked a similar question - it's down to several other
    factors other than the mAh capacity. Some manufacturers are more honest
    about their cell capacities than others ;-) But also, the internal
    resistance of the cells may differ. NiCADs also suffer a memory effect, and
    their chemistry is more easily disrupted by unwanted effects like
    crystalline growth (this can be made worse with slow charging than fast
    charging - although fast charging without adequate cooling can be
    detrimental in other ways.)

    It's also possible to have a large mAh capacity, with relatively speaking, a
    poor energy capacity, because on the voltage - charge plot the voltage
    profile is lower for one cell type than the other - even if the capacity is
    the same.

    I have certainly used 1800 mAh NiMH cells which far outperform '2300' mAh
    NiMH cells in every way - basically because they are much better quality.

    Kind Regards

    Nick

    www.digibattery.co.uk
    www.digibattery.com