    cameras? Is the same thing expected with all digital cameras with
    rechargables?

    , Jun 10, 2004

  2. Bob Flint Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:12:49 -0400, wrote:

    >I bought a Sony Mavica 100 last summer, which has a rechargable battery.
    >To date, I have not been impressed.
    >
    >For example, this afternoon when I turned the camera on, it showed I had
    >89 minutes left on the battery. I connected the camera to my VCR to see
    >if I could record directly to video tape.
    >
    >I never got around to it. After viewing a few pictures on the tv, the
    >low power symbol began to blink. This was after about 10 minutes of use.
    >
    >This battery has been recharged about half a dozen times, each time
    >taking close to 2 hours. This for very little photo taking time per
    >charge.
    >
    >With my film camera, as long as I have film, I can keep shooting.
    >Digital would be pretty much useless on an extended backpacking trip.
    >The battery would be run down in short order, with no way to recharge
    >it.
    >
    >Is this just a bad battery that doesn't hold a charge, or is this par
    >for the course when it comes to rechargable batteries for digital
    >cameras? Is the same thing expected with all digital cameras with
    >rechargables?

    I'd say your batts are N/G... what type are they?

    I had very poor performance with my Minolta Li batteries, it seemed I couldn't
    even fill the memory card with pics (64m) before the battery's ran out! I put
    up with it for a while, then I bought a spare set of batts from Radio Shack -
    much to my surprise, they last several days!! So I'd say the batts I got with
    the camera were defective...

    Now things are different - my new Nikon D70 battery's hold a charge for several
    weeks and hundreds and hundreds of pics!! Lots of flash use too!!

    So it depends a lot on the camera as well...

    Bob Flint, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I bought a Sony Mavica 100 last summer, which has a rechargable battery.
    > To date, I have not been impressed.
    >
    > For example, this afternoon when I turned the camera on, it showed I had
    > 89 minutes left on the battery. I connected the camera to my VCR to see
    > if I could record directly to video tape.
    >
    > I never got around to it. After viewing a few pictures on the tv, the
    > low power symbol began to blink. This was after about 10 minutes of use.
    >
    > This battery has been recharged about half a dozen times, each time
    > taking close to 2 hours. This for very little photo taking time per
    > charge.
    >
    > With my film camera, as long as I have film, I can keep shooting.
    > Digital would be pretty much useless on an extended backpacking trip.
    > The battery would be run down in short order, with no way to recharge
    > it.
    >
    > Is this just a bad battery that doesn't hold a charge, or is this par
    > for the course when it comes to rechargable batteries for digital
    > cameras? Is the same thing expected with all digital cameras with
    > rechargables?

    Probably the result of a poor battery, and a camera inappropriate to the
    use you have in mind. I took about 200 pictures with one set or
    rechargeable NIMH batteries while on vacation, and that included
    extensive use of the LCD for review between photo opportunities. Some
    cameras just use more battery power than others.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 11, 2004
  4. stewy Guest

    You're not the only one. Even though the InfoLithium blurb states
    down-to-the-minute state of battery condition this is often not the case -
    The FM-50 battery in my S-70 has failed me on a number of occasions and I
    prefer the AA NiMH batteries because in an emergency ordinary alkalines with
    work just as well.

    stewy, Jun 12, 2004