    battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
    only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.

    Dom
    Dom, Apr 11, 2012

  2. Dom

    Dom Guest

    On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone --
    >
    > I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1.  The battery needs to be recharged
    > nearly every day if I make extensive use of it.  Should I get a new
    > battery, or is this what I should expect?  The camera and battery is
    > only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
    >
    > Dom

    And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
    it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
    it, the battery is only about half charged.

    Dom
    Dom, Apr 11, 2012

  3. Dom

    philo Guest

    On 04/10/2012 06:09 PM, Dom wrote:
    > Hi everyone --
    >
    > I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
    > nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
    > battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
    > only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
    >
    > Dom

    Not normal

    if you are sure you are charging it properly check your warranty

    But first I'd charge and discharge it several times and see if anything
    improves. If the battery sat for a long time it may need to be cycled to
    re-gain capacity

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Apr 11, 2012
  4. Dom

    Dom Guest

    On Apr 10, 9:29 pm, philo <> wrote:
    > On 04/10/2012 06:09 PM, Dom wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone --

    > > I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1.  The battery needs to be recharged
    > > nearly every day if I make extensive use of it.  Should I get a new
    > > battery, or is this what I should expect?  The camera and battery is
    > > only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.

    > > Dom

    > Not normal
    >
    > if you are sure you are charging it properly check your warranty
    >
    > But first I'd charge and discharge it several times and see if anything
    > improves. If the battery sat for a long time it may need to be cycled to
    > re-gain capacity
    >
    > --https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    Thanks. It's been charged and discharged several times already. I'm
    going to check the warranty and get in touch with Sony.
    Dom, Apr 11, 2012
  5. On 11/04/2012 00:15, Dom wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom<> wrote:
    >> Hi everyone --
    >>
    >> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
    >> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
    >> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
    >> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
    >>
    >> Dom

    > And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
    > it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
    > it, the battery is only about half charged.

    I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
    Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

    --
    Andrew Brydon
    Life is just the beta-version of death
    Andrew Brydon, Apr 11, 2012
  6. Dom

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 11/04/2012 06:03, Andrew Brydon wrote:
    > On 11/04/2012 00:15, Dom wrote:
    >> On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom<> wrote:
    >>> Hi everyone --
    >>>
    >>> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
    >>> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
    >>> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
    >>> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
    >>>
    >>> Dom

    >> And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
    >> it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
    >> it, the battery is only about half charged.

    That seems exceptionally quick to me. Does the battery hold its charge
    when fully charged and not in the camera? Placed somewhere safe where
    its terminals cannot be shorted out. NB these batteries have very high
    energy densities - enough to catch fire if shorted across the terminals
    so you don't want to put it anywhere that would risk that!

    > I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
    > Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

    It would be useful to name and shame some of the brands that have this
    sort of annoying characteristic. Crashing a battery into the ground for
    extended periods of time can even render it beyond recovery.

    Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
    NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
    most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
    than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
    was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
    set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.

    I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
    My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
    set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
    Things have improved a lot since then...

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 11, 2012
  7. Dom

    NM5K Guest

    On 4/10/2012 6:15 PM, Dom wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom<> wrote:
    >> Hi everyone --
    >>
    >> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
    >> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
    >> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
    >> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
    >>
    >> Dom

    > And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
    > it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
    > it, the battery is only about half charged.
    >
    > Dom

    The first part could be normal.. But I guess it depends on what
    you mean by extensive.. I can use up most of a charge in a day if
    I'm clicking off a lot of shots. But that will be quite a few images,
    and I bracket three a pop.. Will be a few hundred anyway I would
    think.. And video will run em down a bit faster.

    The second part, it's normal to see some discharge, even if
    no drain. But I bet there is some drain with that camera, even
    when off. IE: it's probably charging it's internal battery for
    one thing. In fact, I still have one new W-290 in the box that
    I've never really used yet, and I have to insert a battery every
    once in a while if I want to keep the internal cell charged, and not
    lose the settings.
    The internal cell is charged off the lithium ion when it's in the
    camera.
    My W290's use the lithium ion batteries like a cell phone uses..
    Not sure what you are using, being as Sony recently switched to allow
    some regular common size cells to be used.
    I keep a charger almost everywhere I go, so I've never really
    worried about it too much.. I've got the Sony charger I keep
    at the house, and I have another one I bought off fleabay
    that I keep in my car. It runs either 117 or 12v..
    The Sony version only works 117v..
    Ditto for my laptop.. I have both house and car charger/PS's.
    I hardly ever actually use the battery in the laptop for power.
    It's usually plugged in to either the wall, or my 12v outlet
    in the car when I'm portable.

    BTW, batteries can vary a good bit.. Some brands are good,
    but some battery packs use cheap cells being as no one can
    tell unless they break them apart. Most packs from China
    probably use about the cheapest cells they can get away with.. :/
    NM5K, Apr 11, 2012
  8. Dom

    Dom Guest

    On Apr 11, 6:05 am, NM5K <> wrote:
    > The first part could be normal.. But I guess it depends on what
    > you mean by extensive.. I can use up most of a charge in a day if
    > I'm clicking off a lot of shots. But that will be quite a few images,
    > and I bracket three a pop.. Will be a few hundred anyway I would
    > think

    No, my camera's battery is dead after about 50 images tops.

    Dom
    Dom, Apr 11, 2012
  9. Dom

    GMAN Guest

    In article <rT9hr.17781$>, Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >On 11/04/2012 06:03, Andrew Brydon wrote:

    >>> And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
    >>> it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
    >>> it, the battery is only about half charged.

    >That seems exceptionally quick to me. Does the battery hold its charge
    >when fully charged and not in the camera? Placed somewhere safe where
    >its terminals cannot be shorted out. NB these batteries have very high
    >energy densities - enough to catch fire if shorted across the terminals
    >so you don't want to put it anywhere that would risk that!
    >>
    >> I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
    >> Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

    >It would be useful to name and shame some of the brands that have this
    >sort of annoying characteristic. Crashing a battery into the ground for
    >extended periods of time can even render it beyond recovery.
    >
    >Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
    >NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
    >most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
    >than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
    >was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
    >set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.
    >
    >I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
    >My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
    >set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
    >Things have improved a lot since then...

    To add to this, some cameras that take AA batteries have a setting inside some
    menu where you tell the camera whether you are using rechargeable or regular
    Alkaline AA
    GMAN, Apr 11, 2012
  10. Dom

    Dom Guest

    On Apr 11, 1:09 pm, (GMAN) wrote:
    > In article <rT9hr.17781$>, Martin Brown <|||> wrote:

    > >That seems exceptionally quick to me. Does the battery hold its charge
    > >when fully charged and not in the camera? Placed somewhere safe where
    > >its terminals cannot be shorted out. NB these batteries have very high
    > >energy densities - enough to catch fire if shorted across the terminals
    > >so you don't want to put it anywhere that would risk that!

    > >> I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
    > >> Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

    > >It would be useful to name and shame some of the brands that have this
    > >sort of annoying characteristic. Crashing a battery into the ground for
    > >extended periods of time can even render it beyond recovery.

    > >Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
    > >NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
    > >most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
    > >than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
    > >was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
    > >set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.

    > >I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
    > >My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
    > >set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
    > >Things have improved a lot since then...

    > To add to this, some cameras that take AA batteries have a setting insidesome
    > menu where you tell the camera whether you are using rechargeable or regular
    > Alkaline  AA

    Just wanted to finish up this thread. I read the manual (guess I
    should have done that at the start), and guess what? The battery life
    is only 120 minutes. A good reason to go with something other that a
    Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1, if you ask me.

    Dom
    Dom, Apr 12, 2012
  11. Dom

    NM5K Guest

    On 4/11/2012 9:51 AM, Dom wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 6:05 am, NM5K<> wrote:
    >> The first part could be normal.. But I guess it depends on what
    >> you mean by extensive.. I can use up most of a charge in a day if
    >> I'm clicking off a lot of shots. But that will be quite a few images,
    >> and I bracket three a pop.. Will be a few hundred anyway I would
    >> think

    > No, my camera's battery is dead after about 50 images tops.
    >
    > Dom

    That's not right.. That battery may be kaput.. Or maybe something
    is wrong with the camera, and it's drawing a lot more current than
    it should. I can take a few hundred images per charge.
    I just checked one folder from a quicky pix fest..
    On one day, I started at 5:40 PM and shot until 7:16 PM.
    919 images.. And I still had power to spare..
    NM5K, Apr 12, 2012
  12. Dom

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 11/04/2012 18:09, GMAN wrote:
    > In article<rT9hr.17781$>, Martin Brown<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >> Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
    >> NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
    >> most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
    >> than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
    >> was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
    >> set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.
    >>
    >> I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
    >> My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
    >> set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
    >> Things have improved a lot since then...
    >>

    > To add to this, some cameras that take AA batteries have a setting inside some
    > menu where you tell the camera whether you are using rechargeable or regular
    > Alkaline AA

    Which is particularly stupid since the camera could easily test for
    itself by enabling the flash charger for a moment when a new set of
    batteries are inserted and measuring the voltage drop from no load.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 12, 2012
  13. Dom

    GMAN Guest

    In article <Jvwhr.49310$>, Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >On 11/04/2012 18:09, GMAN wrote:
    >> In article<rT9hr.17781$>, Martin

    > Brown<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >>> Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
    >>> NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
    >>> most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
    >>> than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
    >>> was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
    >>> set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.
    >>>
    >>> I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
    >>> My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
    >>> set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
    >>> Things have improved a lot since then...
    >>>

    >> To add to this, some cameras that take AA batteries have a setting inside

    > some
    >> menu where you tell the camera whether you are using rechargeable or regular
    >> Alkaline AA

    >Which is particularly stupid since the camera could easily test for
    >itself by enabling the flash charger for a moment when a new set of
    >batteries are inserted and measuring the voltage drop from no load.

    Like i said, "SOME" cameras. Most modern ones that use AA do automatically
    adjust for the differing battery chemistries.
    GMAN, Apr 12, 2012