    in any Power Management features of my Centrino.

    Finally, any essential hints, tips and tweaks for a first time laptop user,
    are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

    Rudiger Flatula, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Rudiger Flatula

    Tom McCune Guest

    "Rudiger Flatula" <> wrote in
    news:422a9702$0$22660$:

    > I've got a new notebook and have noticed that the battery life icon in
    > the bottom right corner of the task bar only fluctuates between 3
    > different levels of charge. Is there a better way, or 3rd party
    > application which will give a better indication of battery life?
    >
    > Also, is there any utility I can use which can give me a guestimate as
    > to how much battery life I have remaining in minutes, rather than as a
    > percentage? I've seen this on other notebooks, but can't seem to
    > enable it in any Power Management features of my Centrino.
    >
    > Finally, any essential hints, tips and tweaks for a first time laptop
    > user, are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

    As far as I know, my battery meter is just part of Windows XP, and it does
    display both percentage and estimated time remaining. It seems like the
    only option is Control Panel|Power Options|Advanced tab|Always show icon on
    the task bar.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    Tom McCune, Mar 6, 2005

  3. On 06 mar 2005 "Rudiger Flatula" <> wrote
    news:422a9702$0$22660$ in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I've got a new notebook and have noticed that the battery life icon in
    > the bottom right corner of the task bar only fluctuates between 3
    > different levels of charge. Is there a better way, or 3rd party
    > application which will give a better indication of battery life?
    >
    > Also, is there any utility I can use which can give me a guestimate as
    > to how much battery life I have remaining in minutes, rather than as a
    > percentage? I've seen this on other notebooks, but can't seem to
    > enable it in any Power Management features of my Centrino.

    probably a hardware issue, the only indicator on my laptop is a series of
    rather loud beeps about 10 seconds before it powers down, that is shuts
    off, a/k/a not enough time to save and shutdown softly.

    I reckon you'll just have to live with it.

    > Finally, any essential hints, tips and tweaks for a first time laptop
    > user, are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

    1. get a laptop bag. my laptop got scratched and dirty real fast.
    2. if your laptop seems extremely loud, check if the microfone is on ;-)
    damn annoying, mine is right next to the already not too silent
    harddrive.
    3. if you have wireless network, get netstumbler, really neat program to
    find APs and measure the strength.

    --
    R. Amtjip ;-P
    Just mail away, I'm trying out gmail's spam killer by having a REAL

    Robert Amtjip, Mar 6, 2005
  4. Rudiger Flatula

    Charlie Guest

    I strongly advise that you look after your battery and avoid repeated
    over-charging as this shortens its life. Make it a routine to switch off at
    the mains at the end of each day.

    Try this site for general hints and tips:
    http://www.any-batteries.co.uk/tips.htm

    Hope you find it helpful despite all the typographical errors!

    Best wishes,

    Charlie

    Charlie, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Rudiger Flatula

    Guest

    Charlie, I downloaded "mobmeter" and upon installing on my TP600e, I
    saw that although my power adaptor is plugged in (the icon on my
    systray shows "charging"), mobmeter says it is really not charhing the
    battery (my battery tops off at 43% and lasts about 1 hour to get to
    5%). So I think there are two dynamics here going on:

    The laptop charging circuit says: charge the battery as it's charge is
    less than 100%
    The battery smart logic says: accept no charging since I am already
    charged as much as I can take (through the srial communication pins).

    Therefore, leaving the power adaptor plugged in or turned off doesn't
    really matter. When I am using the laptop on battery only I see
    graphically the battery being used, and if 15-30 minutes later I
    plugged the power in, I see charging going on. So, it is really the
    battery pack smart circuit that controls the true charging currents.

    , Mar 8, 2005