    I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
    lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
    what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

    Dr. Bob, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Dr. Bob

    Zol. Guest

    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSG3/PSG3_102-e.html#PowerSource - has the
    battery life listed as aprox 450 shots with LCD monitor on and aprox 1050
    without, regards, Zol.

    Zol., Sep 17, 2003

  3. don't know about the G3 but I've got the S-40 and I have a spare battery
    or I'd never get to take many pictures! After charging them fully, if I
    use them that day or the next I'd venture to say I can get about 50-70
    pictures (some with flash)from one battery, but if I wait more than 4-5
    days, the batteries self discharge A LOT. In a week's time, they are
    next to worthless. and yes, they are proprietary -- about $70 IIRC.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Sep 17, 2003
  4. "Dr. Bob" wrote:

    > I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
    > lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
    > what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

    Newsgroup response fine too.

    BP511 clones are available all over eBay. There are two styles -- one has
    the regulator (?) and one doesn't. You want the one that does. There's
    about a $4 price difference.

    Anyhow, the good clones sell for about $13 + shipping. I have one, and it
    works just like the original. Battery life on these cameras is amazing.

    Robert A. Barr, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Dr. Bob

    Sal Guest

    > I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
    > lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
    > what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

    Only $11.99 for the batteries here:
    http://www.sterlingtek.com/capog3dicaba.html
    Else Canon will charge you around $75 for one with less power.

    I got a spare, just in case, but have never been able to use it yet as I have
    not had the battery in the camera go dead during any shooting yet. But you
    should have a second one with you just in case.

    Here is also a neat trick....

    Instead of powering the camera on and off between shots, you can leave it on
    and just keep hitting the display button which will just turn the LCD display
    on and off (as THAT is what eats up most of the battery power) and just
    before shooting, just hit the display button and the LCD comes right on and
    the camera is all powered up and ready to shoot.

    Sal, Sep 17, 2003