    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply
    Peter James, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Peter James

    Colm Guest

    Digital cameras use more power because they've got more electronics to run.
    LCD, file conversions/resizing etc....

    --
    Colm

    Colm, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Peter James

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Something is wrong, it's either the camera, batteries or a charging problem.
    I get 200 -300 shots on canon A40.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Peter James

    Colm Guest

    The OP didn't specify how many shots he was taking in the 3 days. It could
    be 200-300.
    Or he could be using it's review feature constantly.
    Or the rechargeables might be 600mAh.
    Or........

    --
    Colm

    Colm, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Peter James

    hfs2 Guest

    I was so curious about current required by my camera, I measured it.
    From a previous post.

    hfs2, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:35:53 +0100, "Colm" <>
    wrote:

    >The OP didn't specify how many shots he was taking in the 3 days. It could
    >be 200-300.
    >Or he could be using it's review feature constantly.
    >Or the rechargeables might be 600mAh.
    >Or........

    Maybe ten shots, and I don't use the review feature unless essential,
    as I know it drains power. The rechargeables are 1850 Nimh new as of
    three months ago.

    Peter James, Apr 29, 2004
  7. Peter James

    Colm Guest

    In that case, if I were in your shoes....
    I'd test the camera with a 2nd set of batteries. If the results were the
    same I'd return the camera for fixin'.
    What you're seeing isn't normal.

    Colm, Apr 29, 2004
  8. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:26:37 +0100, "Colm" <>
    wrote:

    >In that case, if I were in your shoes....
    >I'd test the camera with a 2nd set of batteries. If the results were the
    >same I'd return the camera for fixin'.
    >What you're seeing isn't normal.

    The same results with a second set of batteries. And yes, I'm
    returning the camera to Canon U.K. for checking and fixing. Thanks.

    Peter James, Apr 30, 2004
  9. Peter James

    Dickens Guest

    My wife is observing that her new A60 with 2100 mAh Nmh
    batteries loses power with the camera off. 10 days of
    camera off takes the batteries below 1.1 volts and the
    camera declares the batteries dead.

    A quick thumbnail calculation suggests that a 10mA
    drain with the power off would have that impact. That
    seems like a lot.

    Is this a sensitive camera or bad (new) batteries. I
    had the same but faster behavior with 1600mAh batteries
    before I bought the 2100's

    In article <>,
    (hfs2) wrote:

    > I was so curious about current required by my camera, I measured it.
    > From a previous post.
    >
    > > I put my dx4330 on the instruments here at work. I was curious
    > > what kind of current different modes required. Here's what I measured.
    > > Waveforms were not solid so I kinda guessed the average value. I didn't
    > > record the time scale. If you own one you'll already have a feel
    > > for when these apply.
    > >
    > > idle, display off ~ 100 mA with 200 mA to 1000 mA pulses
    > > idle, display on ~ 650 mA
    > > snap flash pic ~ two main levels levels here and deep spikes
    > > right after shot 650 mA
    > > second level, same duration, 1125 mA
    > > then a third "processing" level at about 250 mA - then back
    > > to 100 mA at idle
    > > motor out ~ 500 mA
    > > motor in ~ 250 mA
    > > movie mode with display 1100 mA
    > > movie mode without display 625 mA
    > >

    > Peter James <> wrote in message
    > > Perhaps someone could tell a non-technical ignoramus like me why it
    > > was that the batteries on my old Canon EOS 600 with a motor drive and
    > > with a auto-focus motor to drive, would last for months, whilst the
    > > re-chargeable batteries on my new Canon A80 last for three days.
    > > During that period I would have put at least 10 to 20 rolls of film
    > > through it! Am I missing something perhaps?

    --
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume
    <http://www.webcom.com/thinker> Hypertext editor for creative people.
    Dickens, May 2, 2004
  10. Peter James

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Dickens wrote:
    > My wife is observing that her new A60 with 2100 mAh Nmh
    > batteries loses power with the camera off. 10 days of
    > camera off takes the batteries below 1.1 volts and the
    > camera declares the batteries dead.
    >
    > A quick thumbnail calculation suggests that a 10mA
    > drain with the power off would have that impact. That
    > seems like a lot.
    >
    > Is this a sensitive camera or bad (new) batteries. I
    > had the same but faster behavior with 1600mAh batteries
    > before I bought the 2100's

    This issue was discussed in depth sometime during the
    past year.

    I think if you check individual cells you'll find that
    only one of the set is going dead.

    It turned out that the battery cover was designed in
    such way that it allowed a bit of a short to exist.

    Perhaps with any luck that poster is still reading and
    will re-post his cure for you; or failing that you
    might be able to dig it out of one of the
    rec.photo.digital archive sites.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, May 2, 2004
  11. Peter James

    Z Z Guest

    Interesting-I was gullible and bought a nondigital camera with a
    motorized zoom at Big Lots-its batteries go dead in about a halfhour :)

    Vivitar ZM50P-DB
    Z Z, May 2, 2004
  12. Peter James

    O R Guest

    Months is an awfully long time for batteries to last on one charge.
    They couldn't have been advancing many rolls of film.

    Perform an experiment. Charge the batteries and then take them out of
    your camera. Let them sit on the shelf for a week, two weeks, three
    weeks. If they hold their charge, then you know that the camera was
    draining them. If they lose their charge just as quickly as they did
    when in your camera, you know that it's the batteries.

    Are you using a different charger for these batteries than you used for
    the batteries with your old camera? When the light goes on telling you
    that the batteries are fully charged, they probably aren't. Leave them
    in your charger for an additional hour or two to see if that makes a
    difference.

    Are you using your camera's built-in flash? That draws a LOT of
    current.
    O R, May 2, 2004