Battery eliminator for Canon S3?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bert Hyman, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    battery eliminator.

    Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Mar 12, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bert Hyman

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    > battery eliminator.
    >
    > Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?


    Do you have some special application where you expect to keep the camera
    on for extended periods?
    If not, just keep a set of 4 NiMH batteries charged and ready for action.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Mar 13, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Bob Williams) wrote in
    news:VysJh.40427$:

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >> I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >> battery eliminator.
    >>
    >> Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?

    >
    > Do you have some special application where you expect to keep the
    > camera on for extended periods?


    Yes.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Mar 13, 2007
    #3
  4. Bert Hyman

    giga Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns98F174A54435EVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1...
    > I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    > battery eliminator.
    >
    > Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |


    If you're at all handy with electronics, you can build one. I don't know
    what the DC input jack looks like on the S3, or if it even has one (some
    cameras use a "dummy battery" wired to the adapter). If that's the case, uh,
    I dunno, but if it has a standard jack on the side, you can build a simple
    regulator circuit with a few very basic parts.

    Bob
    giga, Mar 13, 2007
    #4
  5. Bert Hyman

    irwell Guest

    On 13 Mar 2007 13:10:39 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    > (Bob Williams) wrote in
    >news:VysJh.40427$:
    >
    >> Bert Hyman wrote:
    >>> I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >>> battery eliminator.
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?

    >>
    >> Do you have some special application where you expect to keep the
    >> camera on for extended periods?

    >
    >Yes.

    Isn't there an automatic shutdown anyway to stop
    overheating, it is with camcorders.
    irwell, Mar 13, 2007
    #5
  6. Bert Hyman

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, irwell <> wrote:
    >On 13 Mar 2007 13:10:39 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    >
    >> (Bob Williams) wrote in
    >>news:VysJh.40427$:
    >>
    >>> Bert Hyman wrote:
    >>>> I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >>>> battery eliminator.
    >>>>
    >>>> Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?
    >>>
    >>> Do you have some special application where you expect to keep the
    >>> camera on for extended periods?

    >>
    >>Yes.

    > Isn't there an automatic shutdown anyway to stop
    >overheating, it is with camcorders.

    He most likely wants to use it with the remote picture capabilities of the
    camera, ya know, using the pc to control the taking of the picture via a
    tripod and hooked to the usb port.
    GMAN, Mar 13, 2007
    #6
  7. Bert Hyman

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "giga" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >"Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    >news:Xns98F174A54435EVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1...
    >> I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >> battery eliminator.
    >>
    >> Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    >
    >If you're at all handy with electronics, you can build one. I don't know
    >what the DC input jack looks like on the S3, or if it even has one (some
    >cameras use a "dummy battery" wired to the adapter). If that's the case, uh,
    >I dunno, but if it has a standard jack on the side, you can build a simple
    >regulator circuit with a few very basic parts.
    >
    >Bob
    >
    >

    He is just asking if there is an aftermarket AC adapter to use with the
    camera. The OEM one is pricy.
    GMAN, Mar 13, 2007
    #7
  8. Bert Hyman

    giga Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    news:et73mn$9cb$...
    > In article <>, "giga"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>"Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    >>news:Xns98F174A54435EVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1...
    >>> I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >>> battery eliminator.
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    >>
    >>If you're at all handy with electronics, you can build one. I don't know
    >>what the DC input jack looks like on the S3, or if it even has one (some
    >>cameras use a "dummy battery" wired to the adapter). If that's the case,
    >>uh,
    >>I dunno, but if it has a standard jack on the side, you can build a simple
    >>regulator circuit with a few very basic parts.
    >>
    >>Bob
    >>
    >>

    > He is just asking if there is an aftermarket AC adapter to use with the
    > camera. The OEM one is pricy.


    Yes, I read the question. I thought he might like to know of another, very
    inexpensive alternative.
    giga, Mar 14, 2007
    #8
  9. Bert Hyman

    FrankLM Guest

    On 12 Mar 2007 16:28:00 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >battery eliminator.
    >
    >Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?


    You can try this thing that I found at Adorama.

    http://www.adorama.com/LRPRO40.html

    A universal digital camera power supply, you can select from 3 to 8.4 volts at
    2.5 amps output. (That's enough for most anything I use.) All adapter plugs
    included. For only $24.99.

    I ordered one and am going to see if it works. The 7-volt setting should work.
    (The camera has 7.4v listed by the power-socket on the camera.) Since the
    internal batteries can run from 4.8v to 6.2 volts (NiMH to Alkaline), I'm pretty
    sure it'll run on the 7 volts. Might even run just fine on the 5 and 6 volt
    outputs this power-adapter can do too. The S3 runs just fine on 7.2v external
    battery packs when plugged into that connection. Already tried that with some
    NiMH packs I have for my other cameras.

    This way, I won't have to lug 3 chargers around when I travel with my gear. My
    other cameras/accessories needing 3 volts, 5 volts and 8.4 volts. Plus it's much
    more compact than anything my other camera's have, as well as being much smaller
    than the one Canon is selling at extortionist's prices.
    FrankLM, Apr 12, 2007
    #9
  10. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (FrankLM) wrote in
    news::

    > On 12 Mar 2007 16:28:00 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >>battery eliminator.
    >>
    >>Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?

    >
    > You can try this thing that I found at Adorama.
    >
    > http://www.adorama.com/LRPRO40.html
    >
    > A universal digital camera power supply, you can select from 3 to
    > 8.4 volts at 2.5 amps output. (That's enough for most anything I
    > use.) All adapter plugs included. For only $24.99.


    Thanks for the clue.

    It looks like Radio Shack has a number of similar products in various
    voltage and current ranges too. Even the most expensive is still half
    the price of Canon's offering.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Apr 12, 2007
    #10
  11. Bert Hyman

    Hi Ho Silver Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns99105348DC7C1VeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1...
    > (FrankLM) wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> On 12 Mar 2007 16:28:00 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for a "genuine" CA-PS700
    >>>battery eliminator.
    >>>
    >>>Can anybody suggest a known-good, cheaper alternate?

    >>
    >> You can try this thing that I found at Adorama.
    >>
    >> http://www.adorama.com/LRPRO40.html
    >>
    >> A universal digital camera power supply, you can select from 3 to
    >> 8.4 volts at 2.5 amps output. (That's enough for most anything I
    >> use.) All adapter plugs included. For only $24.99.

    >
    > Thanks for the clue.
    >
    > It looks like Radio Shack has a number of similar products in various
    > voltage and current ranges too. Even the most expensive is still half
    > the price of Canon's offering.
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |


    If you "Froogle" for Canon CA-PS700, there are a lot of them for sale via
    Ebay, listed as new, for about $13 plus shipping of $6; might be worth
    taking a chance? Amazon has it for $48 with free shipping.
    Hi Ho Silver, Apr 18, 2007
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jo M

    Spam Eliminator

    Jo M, Jan 9, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    366
  2. Jo M

    Spam Eliminator

    Jo M, Jan 9, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    442
    Harrison
    Jan 9, 2004
  3. KI7G
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,379
  4. Bill Crocker

    Re: Evidence Eliminator... NOT AN AD, I promise

    Bill Crocker, Jun 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,664
    Richard
    Jun 30, 2003
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    865
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page