Battery Cover Broken - Nikon Coolpix 5200 Canada

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by shane.grimm@gmail.com, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    The battery flap on my Nikon Coolpix 5200 digital camera has broke. The
    latch has snapped off the battery cover and it no longer closes
    properly.

    I know there are lots of postings about this, I've searched through
    most of them.

    It sounds like sending the camera in for repairs is time consuming and
    costly. The home brew cut a piece of aluminum is also too time
    consuming, and also dangerous for me as I'll probably lose a finger or
    two trying to cut the aluminum. I'm currently using the "Red Green"
    duct tape method.

    Looking for some specific help in Vancouver, Canada.

    I'm trying to get a hold of the local repair center but I found some
    ads on the internet for replacement covers as low as $17.30.

    Anyone know how easy it is to replace a cover myself? The camera is out
    of warranty so I don't have to worry about invalidating it. Anyone know
    of a reputable company to order a cover from?

    Thanks!

    , Jun 1, 2006

  2. Rich Guest

    wrote:
    > The battery flap on my Nikon Coolpix 5200 digital camera has broke. The
    > latch has snapped off the battery cover and it no longer closes
    > properly.
    >
    > I know there are lots of postings about this, I've searched through
    > most of them.
    >
    > It sounds like sending the camera in for repairs is time consuming and
    > costly. The home brew cut a piece of aluminum is also too time
    > consuming, and also dangerous for me as I'll probably lose a finger or
    > two trying to cut the aluminum. I'm currently using the "Red Green"
    > duct tape method.
    >
    > Looking for some specific help in Vancouver, Canada.
    >
    > I'm trying to get a hold of the local repair center but I found some
    > ads on the internet for replacement covers as low as $17.30.
    >
    > Anyone know how easy it is to replace a cover myself? The camera is out
    > of warranty so I don't have to worry about invalidating it. Anyone know
    > of a reputable company to order a cover from?
    >
    > Thanks!

    It's sad but there wouldn't be "lots of postings" about this kind of
    thing if
    these fragile things were made of metal.

    Rich, Jun 1, 2006

  3. J. Clarke Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> The battery flap on my Nikon Coolpix 5200 digital camera has broke. The
    >> latch has snapped off the battery cover and it no longer closes
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> I know there are lots of postings about this, I've searched through
    >> most of them.
    >>
    >> It sounds like sending the camera in for repairs is time consuming and
    >> costly. The home brew cut a piece of aluminum is also too time
    >> consuming, and also dangerous for me as I'll probably lose a finger or
    >> two trying to cut the aluminum. I'm currently using the "Red Green"
    >> duct tape method.
    >>
    >> Looking for some specific help in Vancouver, Canada.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get a hold of the local repair center but I found some
    >> ads on the internet for replacement covers as low as $17.30.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how easy it is to replace a cover myself? The camera is out
    >> of warranty so I don't have to worry about invalidating it. Anyone know
    >> of a reputable company to order a cover from?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > It's sad but there wouldn't be "lots of postings" about this kind of
    > thing if
    > these fragile things were made of metal.

    Why not? You think it's not possible to break a latch made of metal?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jun 1, 2006
  4. PDAJunkee Guest

    Some more news... just received a call back from the Nikon repair shop
    here in Vancouver.

    $65CAD to have it fixed at the Nikon authorized repair center.

    And yes... it is sad that this flap that gets opened and closed
    hundreds of time and is constantly under pressure and is subject to get
    bumped is made of plastic.

    PDAJunkee, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Rich wrote:

    > It's sad but there wouldn't be "lots of postings" about this kind of
    > thing if these fragile things were made of metal.

    You *really* need to get over it. I mean seriously, it's getting old.

    --
    www.ericschreiber.com

    Eric Schreiber, Jun 2, 2006