    Any advice out there?

    Regards

    Steve
    Stephen Fisher, Dec 29, 2006

  2. Stephen Fisher

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Have a look here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/n41bx_out.jpg
    Fast chargers are less likely to cause "memory effect" when partially
    discharged batteries are put in. Standard NiMH batteries have however a high
    rate of self discharge. If you use them only every couple of weeks it is
    good praktice to give them a topoff charge before use. This charger has end
    of charge detection for each cell, it would still be good practice to always
    use the same two cells as a pair. The new Sanyo Eneloop have drastically
    reduced self - discharge, as I got my first ones only a month ago I can
    however not tell anything about their longevity.

    Cgiorgio, Dec 29, 2006

  3. Stephen Fisher

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Sorry, wrong link
    "> Have a look here:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=45804&doy=29m12

    Cgiorgio, Dec 29, 2006
  4. Stephen Fisher wrote:
    > I have just got a canon 710 IS which can take 2 AA rechargeable NI-Mh
    > batteries.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a battery and charger pack for someone based
    > in UK?
    > The reason i am asking is that a mate has told me that that a cheap
    > charger will "destroy" batteries if not used correctly whereas a good
    > charger will "condition" batteries.
    >
    > I believe the batteries i need are 2300 or 2500 (if that means
    > anything).
    > My thoughts are that i need something that will take 4 batteries
    > (that way i can charge batteries plus two spare overnight if needed)
    >
    > Any advice out there?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve

    You won't go far wrong with Maha chargers - available in the UK from
    Nevada Radio, e.g.

    http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/maha-c204w.html

    Batteries - the number tells you how long they will last - the bigger the
    better (but more expensive). It tell you how much energy is stored in the
    batteries, as the product of the discharge current (in milliamps [mA] and
    the time you can draw that current in hours [h]).

    2500 mAh - MH-AA2500 - £12.95

    should last about 50% longer than:

    1800 mAh - MH-AA1800 - £3.95

    http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/rechargable.html

    Your choice! Many cameras take four cells rather than just two, so you
    might be better off with the higher capacity batteries even though they
    are more expensive. Nothing worse than running out at the wrong moment!

    Nevada's home page is here:

    http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/index.html

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 29, 2006
  5. Stephen Fisher

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:19:45 +0000, Stephen Fisher wrote:

    > I have just got a canon 710 IS which can take 2 AA rechargeable NI-Mh
    > batteries.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a battery and charger pack for someone based in UK?
    >
    > The reason i am asking is that a mate has told me that that a cheap charger
    > will "destroy" batteries if not used correctly whereas a good charger will
    > "condition" batteries.
    >
    > I believe the batteries i need are 2300 or 2500 (if that means anything).

    mah rating - i.e. milli ampere hours

    > My thoughts are that i need something that will take 4 batteries (that way i
    > can charge batteries plus two spare overnight if needed)
    >
    > Any advice out there?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve

    I've had good success with inexpensive slow chargers. I believe that the
    inexpensive fast charges will limit battery life. I'm not totally
    convinced that you need an expensive charger with all the bells and
    whistles, but it is probably 'best'.
    ray, Dec 29, 2006
  6. Stephen Fisher

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:19:45 GMT, Stephen Fisher wrote:

    > The reason i am asking is that a mate has told me that that a cheap charger
    > will "destroy" batteries if not used correctly whereas a good charger will
    > "condition" batteries.

    While a good charger is nice to have, far more batteries are
    damaged by users not knowing how to treat them than by the type of
    charger that is used.

    > I believe the batteries i need are 2300 or 2500 (if that means anything).

    It's not a matter of "needing" those. The number (of battery
    capacity, measured in milliamp hours, mAh) is a guide to how long
    you might expect the batteries to power your camera. A 2,400 mAh
    NiMH AA cell should last about 33% longer than a 1,800 mAh cell.
    What's more important is convenience and cost effectiveness. If you
    can only buy 2,300mAh and 3,000mAh batteries and the latter are
    twice as expensive, it's probably foolish to buy any 3,000 cells,
    unless the slightly greater convenience of not having to replace
    them quite as often for recharging is important to the photographer.

    > My thoughts are that i need something that will take 4 batteries (that
    > way i can charge batteries plus two spare overnight if needed)

    Most people (including me) would agree. More important, even if
    you only need to use batteries in pairs, is to get a charger that
    has 4 independent charging circuits, even if you don't intend to
    ever charge 1 or 3 cells at a time. Battery chargers that only
    charge pairs of cells should be avoided. Also try to make sure that
    there's at least one LED or other way to display battery information
    for each cell. I've seen some chargers that are able to charge each
    cell independently, but only had a single LED to indicate when they
    had all finished charging. Having a display for each cell allows
    you to notice if any individual cell is behaving differently or
    perhaps suffering early failure. The individual LEDs also avoid
    problems where sometimes a cell doesn't make good contact in the
    charger. It's better to notice this immediately than wonder why
    your freshly charged batteries were only able to last for 2 minutes
    in the camera. Not many people would be able to easily determine
    that only 1 of 2, or 3 of 4 cells had been charged.
    ASAAR, Dec 29, 2006
  7. Stephen Fisher

    Mike Fields Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:19:45 GMT, Stephen Fisher wrote:
    >
    >> The reason i am asking is that a mate has told me that that a cheap
    >> charger
    >> will "destroy" batteries if not used correctly whereas a good charger
    >> will
    >> "condition" batteries.

    > While a good charger is nice to have, far more batteries are
    > damaged by users not knowing how to treat them than by the type of
    > charger that is used.
    >

    >> I believe the batteries i need are 2300 or 2500 (if that means
    >> anything).

    > It's not a matter of "needing" those. The number (of battery
    > capacity, measured in milliamp hours, mAh) is a guide to how long
    > you might expect the batteries to power your camera. A 2,400 mAh
    > NiMH AA cell should last about 33% longer than a 1,800 mAh cell.
    > What's more important is convenience and cost effectiveness. If you
    > can only buy 2,300mAh and 3,000mAh batteries and the latter are
    > twice as expensive, it's probably foolish to buy any 3,000 cells,
    > unless the slightly greater convenience of not having to replace
    > them quite as often for recharging is important to the photographer.
    >

    >> My thoughts are that i need something that will take 4 batteries
    >> (that
    >> way i can charge batteries plus two spare overnight if needed)

    > Most people (including me) would agree. More important, even if
    > you only need to use batteries in pairs, is to get a charger that
    > has 4 independent charging circuits, even if you don't intend to
    > ever charge 1 or 3 cells at a time. Battery chargers that only
    > charge pairs of cells should be avoided. Also try to make sure that
    > there's at least one LED or other way to display battery information
    > for each cell. I've seen some chargers that are able to charge each
    > cell independently, but only had a single LED to indicate when they
    > had all finished charging. Having a display for each cell allows
    > you to notice if any individual cell is behaving differently or
    > perhaps suffering early failure. The individual LEDs also avoid
    > problems where sometimes a cell doesn't make good contact in the
    > charger. It's better to notice this immediately than wonder why
    > your freshly charged batteries were only able to last for 2 minutes
    > in the camera. Not many people would be able to easily determine
    > that only 1 of 2, or 3 of 4 cells had been charged.

    You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    will get reversed. That is NOT a good thing. It is also the weak
    link -- if you have a 4 cell application, 3 - 3000 mah cells and
    a 1500 mah cell in series, you are basically limited to the 1500
    mah cell.

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Dec 29, 2006
  8. Stephen Fisher wrote:
    ..

    > Can someone recommend a battery and charger pack for someone based
    > in UK?
    > The reason i am asking is that a mate has told me that that a cheap
    > charger will "destroy" batteries if not used correctly whereas a good
    > charger will "condition" batteries.

    Will I would not say destroy, but a good charger will assure the best
    life from your batteries. I am not up on specific chargers, they seem to
    change each week, but most adjust the charge for each cell rather than using
    the same charge for each cell in a group. They will usually allow charging
    just one cell or a group at the same time and will have some indication of
    when each cell is fully charged and will stop charging that cell.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 29, 2006
  9. Stephen Fisher

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:46:22 -0800, Mike Fields wrote:

    > You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    > since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    > used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    > will get reversed. That is NOT a good thing. It is also the weak
    > link -- if you have a 4 cell application, 3 - 3000 mah cells and
    > a 1500 mah cell in series, you are basically limited to the 1500
    > mah cell.

    That's generally true, but other than reducing the usable
    capacity, it's probably not too much of a battery killer in digital
    cameras, since all of the ones I've seen would probably power off
    long before the first cell approached a reverse charge. Analog
    devices are the real killers, as they'll frequently continue drawing
    current even when the total available voltage is as low as 1 volt.
    To reinforce what you're saying though, if I detect that one
    rechargeable cell out of four has gone bad, I'll *never* replace it.
    All four get replaced, with the remaining 3 decent cells being used
    to power devices that use only 1 or 2 or 3 AA cells. I have an mp3
    player that normally gets 50 hours from a AA cell. If I can use a
    bad NiMH cell in it that only is good for 30 hours per charge, I
    don't consider that to be a real hardship. :)
    ASAAR, Dec 29, 2006
  10. Stephen Fisher

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

    > You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    > since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    > used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    > will get reversed.

    Not with a real smart charger that tests, measures and charges each cell
    individually. Like the Ansmann Energy 8 or 16.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Dec 29, 2006
  11. Stephen Fisher

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:47:48 -0500, Bob Salomon wrote:

    > "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
    >> You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    >> since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    >> used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    >> will get reversed.

    > Not with a real smart charger that tests, measures and charges each cell
    > individually. Like the Ansmann Energy 8 or 16.

    The way I read this, Mike is speaking of the danger of cell
    reversal when the cells are in the device (camera), and you're
    speaking of cells not being in danger of being reverse charged in
    smart chargers such as the Energy 8 / 16. Or did you mean that
    these chargers can test and report each cell's total capacity when
    fully charged, allowing weak, reduced capacity cells to be culled?
    ASAAR, Dec 29, 2006
  12. Stephen Fisher

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:47:48 -0500, Bob Salomon wrote:
    >
    > > "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
    > >> You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    > >> since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    > >> used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    > >> will get reversed.

    > > Not with a real smart charger that tests, measures and charges each cell
    > > individually. Like the Ansmann Energy 8 or 16.

    > The way I read this, Mike is speaking of the danger of cell
    > reversal when the cells are in the device (camera), and you're
    > speaking of cells not being in danger of being reverse charged in
    > smart chargers such as the Energy 8 / 16. Or did you mean that
    > these chargers can test and report each cell's total capacity when
    > fully charged, allowing weak, reduced capacity cells to be culled?

    It tests each cell prior to charging and indicates the charge. Then it
    does a short automatic refresh cycle for each cell followed by a rapid
    charge which automatically switches to Delta V trickle charge. During
    rapid and trickle charge it periodically does a refresh to make sure
    that the cell is still good. If it detects a bad cell it indicates which
    cell and will refresh it to attempt to recover it. If the cell still is
    bad after the next day it can't be saved. They also indicate cells that
    are improperly inserted in the charger. They take AA, AAA, C, D or 9V
    either NiCd or NiMh in any combination.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Dec 30, 2006
  13. Stephen Fisher

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:35:07 -0500, Bob Salomon wrote:

    >> The way I read this, Mike is speaking of the danger of cell
    >> reversal when the cells are in the device (camera), and you're
    >> speaking of cells not being in danger of being reverse charged in
    >> smart chargers such as the Energy 8 / 16. Or did you mean that
    >> these chargers can test and report each cell's total capacity when
    >> fully charged, allowing weak, reduced capacity cells to be culled?

    > It tests each cell prior to charging and indicates the charge. Then it
    > does a short automatic refresh cycle for each cell followed by a rapid
    > charge which automatically switches to Delta V trickle charge. During
    > rapid and trickle charge it periodically does a refresh to make sure
    > that the cell is still good. If it detects a bad cell it indicates which
    > cell and will refresh it to attempt to recover it. If the cell still is
    > bad after the next day it can't be saved. They also indicate cells that
    > are improperly inserted in the charger. They take AA, AAA, C, D or 9V
    > either NiCd or NiMh in any combination.

    That's better than many chargers, and sounds quite similar to a 4
    bay AA, AAA, C, D, 9V charger that I bought from Radio Shack many
    years ago. Is there any chance that RS ever marketed an Ansmann
    charger with their own name on it? It had, btw, an LCD that
    provided a digital readout of each cell's voltage and had more
    features but I don't recall them all.

    What I'd want is for the charger to indicate the current capacity
    of the cells. So I'd be able to see that a 2,100 mAh AA cell had
    declined after a couple of years to perhaps 1,700 mAh. From your
    description of the Energy 8 / 16 chargers it isn't clear that they
    provide this information. If it does, great! But if not, with a
    2,000 mAh cell that is 3/4 depleted, will the initial test (prior to
    charging) indicate 500 mAh worth of charge remaining?
    ASAAR, Dec 30, 2006
  14. Stephen Fisher

    Mike Fields Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:47:48 -0500, Bob Salomon wrote:
    >
    >> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
    >>> You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    >>> since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    >>> used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    >>> will get reversed.

    >> Not with a real smart charger that tests, measures and charges each
    >> cell
    >> individually. Like the Ansmann Energy 8 or 16.

    > The way I read this, Mike is speaking of the danger of cell
    > reversal when the cells are in the device (camera), and you're
    > speaking of cells not being in danger of being reverse charged in
    > smart chargers such as the Energy 8 / 16. Or did you mean that
    > these chargers can test and report each cell's total capacity when
    > fully charged, allowing weak, reduced capacity cells to be culled?

    I was speaking from the standpoint of "in the camera" (which
    may actually not be a major problem because the camera will
    probably cut off before it gets too far down). You will be
    limited to the capacity of the lowest capacity cell though.
    In a charger, if you are using a charger that tests/charges each
    cell individually, you are ok, but some "smart chargers" will
    do 2 cells in series in which case, you will either under charge
    the largest capacity cell or over charge the smaller capacity
    cell depending on exactly what the charger determines for
    a cut-off. As someone else pointed out, probably the worst
    thing with unmatched cells would be something like a flashlight
    ("torch" for those on the other side of the pond ... ) where you
    can take the cells WAY down. With my Minolta 7Hi that uses
    4 NiMH AA cells, if I start from a full charge, run them down
    significantly then recharge them in my Maha charger, I watch
    when they switch to "full" (green) - any cell more than 10-15
    minutes different from the others gets a black mark on it with
    a felt pen - 3 marks on the same cell tells me it is not just
    random and I replace the set of 4.

    (note it is not really fair to judge recharge times on cells that
    have been sitting around for several weeks since they all
    have different self-discharge rates -- that is why I only check
    when I start at a recent full charge).

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Dec 30, 2006
  15. Stephen Fisher

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > That's better than many chargers, and sounds quite similar to a 4
    > bay AA, AAA, C, D, 9V charger that I bought from Radio Shack many
    > years ago. Is there any chance that RS ever marketed an Ansmann
    > charger with their own name on it?

    No. Ansmann does make chargers for Leica but not Rado Schack

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Dec 30, 2006
  16. Stephen Fisher

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:41:39 -0500, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:35:07 -0500, Bob Salomon wrote:
    >
    >>> The way I read this, Mike is speaking of the danger of cell
    >>> reversal when the cells are in the device (camera), and you're
    >>> speaking of cells not being in danger of being reverse charged in
    >>> smart chargers such as the Energy 8 / 16. Or did you mean that
    >>> these chargers can test and report each cell's total capacity when
    >>> fully charged, allowing weak, reduced capacity cells to be culled?

    >> It tests each cell prior to charging and indicates the charge. Then it
    >> does a short automatic refresh cycle for each cell followed by a rapid
    >> charge which automatically switches to Delta V trickle charge. During
    >> rapid and trickle charge it periodically does a refresh to make sure
    >> that the cell is still good. If it detects a bad cell it indicates which
    >> cell and will refresh it to attempt to recover it. If the cell still is
    >> bad after the next day it can't be saved. They also indicate cells that
    >> are improperly inserted in the charger. They take AA, AAA, C, D or 9V
    >> either NiCd or NiMh in any combination.

    > That's better than many chargers, and sounds quite similar to a 4
    >bay AA, AAA, C, D, 9V charger that I bought from Radio Shack many
    >years ago. Is there any chance that RS ever marketed an Ansmann
    >charger with their own name on it? It had, btw, an LCD that
    >provided a digital readout of each cell's voltage and had more
    >features but I don't recall them all.
    >
    > What I'd want is for the charger to indicate the current capacity
    >of the cells. So I'd be able to see that a 2,100 mAh AA cell had
    >declined after a couple of years to perhaps 1,700 mAh. From your
    >description of the Energy 8 / 16 chargers it isn't clear that they
    >provide this information. If it does, great! But if not, with a
    >2,000 mAh cell that is 3/4 depleted, will the initial test (prior to
    >charging) indicate 500 mAh worth of charge remaining?

    Here's a site with a good word for those that use AA and AAA cells.
    Longer shelf life without recharging.
    Longer life in use.
    Recharge in 15 minutes.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com:80/html/businesstechnology/2003494774_batteries260.html

    I seem to remember reading that the RS charger you refer to were made by
    Maha.
    Jack Mac, Dec 30, 2006
  17. Stephen Fisher

    gr Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:19:45 GMT, Stephen Fisher wrote:
    >>
    >>> The reason i am asking is that a mate has told me that that a cheap
    >>> charger
    >>> will "destroy" batteries if not used correctly whereas a good charger
    >>> will
    >>> "condition" batteries.

    >> While a good charger is nice to have, far more batteries are
    >> damaged by users not knowing how to treat them than by the type of
    >> charger that is used.
    >>

    >>> I believe the batteries i need are 2300 or 2500 (if that means
    >>> anything).

    >> It's not a matter of "needing" those. The number (of battery
    >> capacity, measured in milliamp hours, mAh) is a guide to how long
    >> you might expect the batteries to power your camera. A 2,400 mAh
    >> NiMH AA cell should last about 33% longer than a 1,800 mAh cell.
    >> What's more important is convenience and cost effectiveness. If you
    >> can only buy 2,300mAh and 3,000mAh batteries and the latter are
    >> twice as expensive, it's probably foolish to buy any 3,000 cells,
    >> unless the slightly greater convenience of not having to replace
    >> them quite as often for recharging is important to the photographer.
    >>

    >>> My thoughts are that i need something that will take 4 batteries (that
    >>> way i can charge batteries plus two spare overnight if needed)

    >> Most people (including me) would agree. More important, even if
    >> you only need to use batteries in pairs, is to get a charger that
    >> has 4 independent charging circuits, even if you don't intend to
    >> ever charge 1 or 3 cells at a time. Battery chargers that only
    >> charge pairs of cells should be avoided. Also try to make sure that
    >> there's at least one LED or other way to display battery information
    >> for each cell. I've seen some chargers that are able to charge each
    >> cell independently, but only had a single LED to indicate when they
    >> had all finished charging. Having a display for each cell allows
    >> you to notice if any individual cell is behaving differently or
    >> perhaps suffering early failure. The individual LEDs also avoid
    >> problems where sometimes a cell doesn't make good contact in the
    >> charger. It's better to notice this immediately than wonder why
    >> your freshly charged batteries were only able to last for 2 minutes
    >> in the camera. Not many people would be able to easily determine
    >> that only 1 of 2, or 3 of 4 cells had been charged.
    >>

    > You also want to avoid mixing cells of different capacities together
    > since you can get the situation (depending on how they are being
    > used and what the cut-off voltage is the gadget) where one cell
    > will get reversed. That is NOT a good thing. It is also the weak
    > link -- if you have a 4 cell application, 3 - 3000 mah cells and
    > a 1500 mah cell in series, you are basically limited to the 1500
    > mah cell.
    >
    > mikey

    www.ccrane.com has a very nice charger ; auto detect nicad/nimh, 4 bay,
    auto trickle, auto discharge

    http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/batteries-chargers/quickcharger-battery-charger.aspx

    $39
    I like mine.
    gr
    gr, Dec 30, 2006
  18. Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original question. I did not
    realsie there was so much to learn about rechargeable batteries.

    If only Bush or Blair could post a question saying "How can we solve Iraq"
    you guys would have it sorted in no time.

    I will be going to maplins on Wednesday and treating myself to a decent
    charger and some 2500 batteries.

    Stephen Fisher, Dec 31, 2006