    charger) ?

    Regards,
    Giuliano Bertoletti
    Giuliano Bertoletti, Dec 19, 2003

  2. I will guess the design of the batteries are keeping them from making
    contact with that charger. I don't know that charger, but many if not all
    chargers supplied with the camera are second rate. You really want a smart
    charger. That is one that will sample each cell individually as it is
    charged. That means you get each cell fully charged each time and no cell
    overcharged. You will get better charges, generally faster charges and
    longer life from the batteries.

    They seem to change models more often than women change clothes so I
    don't know what models may be available in the UK or anywhere, now.
    Hopefully someone will be able to make a suggestion. BTW they are not
    expensive.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Giuliano Bertoletti

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I know nothing about that charger, but I have two portable cd players that
    will recharge NiCD's but only those made for the units. I don't have these
    batteries but it's clear from the instruction diagram and physical
    inspection how this works. The cells have the casing exposed at the -ve end
    and there is a contact in the unit that senses this. I suspect, but have
    never tried, that any cell could be used if one judiciously cut the
    insulation on one or both cells. You can determine if such a situation
    exists by visual examination. Another remote possibility is the new cells
    are so depleted they have insufficient voltage to activate the sensor on the
    charger. If a meter shows this to be the case, you will have to give them
    some intial charge using say an alkaline battery.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Giuliano Bertoletti

    Peter James Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:28:32 +0100, Giuliano Bertoletti
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've a problem with my battery charger (a Kodak K200W which was
    >included in the package of my digital DC265 Kodak Camera I brought 4
    >years ago).
    >
    >The charger works well with the 4 NIMH batteries supplied along with
    >the camera, but recently I purchased a new set of batteries (4 GP 2100
    >mA NIMH, http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk).
    >
    >The two leds on the charger which indicate that charging is in
    >progress remain off when I plug in those new batteries.
    >
    >Is there something I should be aware of when matching batteries and
    >battery chargers (of course the batteries are all NIMH and so is the
    >charger) ?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Giuliano Bertoletti

    You might find the following URL of interest.
    http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/batteries.htm
    It's full of usefull info on Cameras, chargers and batteries.
    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply
    Peter James, Dec 19, 2003
  5. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:28:32 +0100, Giuliano Bertoletti hath writ:

    > I've a problem with my battery charger (a Kodak K200W which was
    > included in the package of my digital DC265 Kodak Camera I brought 4
    > years ago).
    > The charger works well with the 4 NIMH batteries supplied along with
    > the camera, but recently I purchased a new set of batteries (4 GP 2100
    > mA NIMH, http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk).
    > The two leds on the charger which indicate that charging is in
    > progress remain off when I plug in those new batteries.
    > Is there something I should be aware of when matching batteries and
    > battery chargers (of course the batteries are all NIMH and so is the
    > charger) ?

    I have the same charger -- the K200 -- which I got with my
    DC-280 purchase about 3 years ago. I've added a Nikon CP-2000
    tp the mix about 4 months ago, which also uses AA's.
    I bought a fist-full of Powerex 2000 mAh NiMH AA's, and the
    K200 charges them Just Fine.

    I like the K200 because for overseas travel because it "auto-runs"
    off of either 110V or 220V.

    I think the one reply you received was correct: There is
    something whack-o (that's a technical term) with the
    physical shape of the battery. Perhaps the "nipple" is too
    short and it fails to reach the positive charging terminal.
    Maybe the plastic that wraps up over the shoulder of the positive
    end of the battery is too thick and it holds the positive end of
    the battery too far from the positive charging terminal.
    I think if you carefully "eyeball" the batteries when inserted
    in the charger you'll see the problem.

    It may need nothing more than a little X-Acto knife (re)work
    on either the plastic housing near the positive charging
    terminal, or (again with the X-Acto) a little shaving of the
    plastic shoulder on the battery top(s).

    The battery manufacturer was probably trying to be clever in
    designing the battery so that it could not be inserted (ruined)
    in some after-market NiCad battery charger. Or, conspiratorially
    thinking..., the battery manufacturer wants to force you to
    buy _his_ battery charger.

    Anyway -- long story short: The K200 appears to be Just Fine
    for AA's between 1850 mAh (Kodak's originals) and 2000 mAh
    (the Powerex replacements) -- and probably even further out.

    HTH + HNY
    Jonesy
    Allodoxaphobia, Dec 20, 2003