Battery Changing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    In my 70's now, so please bear with me.

    a. What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?

    b. Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting weak.
    About 5 years old now, apparently.

    If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    Is this true ?

    All of them ? Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?

    Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Mar 16, 2009

  2. Robert11

    olfart Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > In my 70's now, so please bear with me.
    >
    > a. What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    > possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?

    On most Dells it's F2 for BIOS and F10 or F12 for Boot Menu. It should tell
    you in the lower right hand corner of the frst screen when booting up

    > b. Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting weak.
    > About 5 years old now, apparently.
    >
    > If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    > Is this true ?

    If you do it fast enough...about 30 seconds...it probably won't change
    anything. If it does change it will revert back to default settings...most
    of which you are probably using anyway. If you want to be safe copy down
    your current BOIS settings before you swap the battery

    > All of them ? Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    > Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?

    Probably not

    > Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I'm also in my 70's and running an XPS 400 with XP Pro. So if you have any
    other questions post back
    olfart, Mar 16, 2009

  3. Robert11

    cizzo Guest

    On Mar 16, 6:12 am, "Robert11" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > In my 70's now, so please bear with me.
    >
    > a.  What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    > possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?
    >
    > b.  Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting weak.
    > About 5 years old now, apparently.
    >
    > If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    > Is this true ?
    >
    > All of them ?  Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    > Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?
    >
    > Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Hi Robert,

    In order to get into BIOS there should be a prompt on your screen
    telling you which key to hit, if you can't see it try pressing all
    these buttons several times right when you turn on your computer: F2,
    F10, Delete key. From there you can navigate around and see where the
    boot options are, some BIOS menus have a tab for "Boot" where you can
    assign boot priority to different devices.

    I would not be worried about your CMOS battery going dead, I have
    never heard of that happening.
    What leads you to believe it is going bad?
    cizzo, Mar 16, 2009
  4. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    To Cizzo: Re: Battery Changing

    Hi cizzo,

    I asked this question a few posts back (probably should have appended this
    post to that one, but didn't)
    One of the answerers suggested that it might be the battery.

    Here's my original question from the older post:

    Getting an error msg each time I turn on PC that is white text on the black
    screen.

    Says it cannot find Drive 1, and references some SATA drive.

    Then, "Press F1 to continue, or F2 for Setup."

    If I press F1, everything from then on is totally normal.

    What's happening, please ?
    Drive about to quit, or...?

    Thanks for help,
    Bob

    Robert11, Mar 16, 2009
  5. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:27:28 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Mostly though, the cmos battery only aids in retaining power to the
    >chips should main power fail.

    Oh.... My ... God...
    Evan Platt, Mar 16, 2009
  6. Robert11

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > In my 70's now, so please bear with me.
    >
    > a. What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    > possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?

    Depends. Some use Del, F8, F1, or Esc. Unless it is a prebuilt host
    where the vendor shoved a splash screen that obliterates the BIOS
    prompt, it will tell you what key to hit to get into the BIOS setup
    screens.

    > b. Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting weak.
    > About 5 years old now, apparently.
    >
    > If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    > Is this true ?
    >
    > All of them ? Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    > Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?
    >
    > Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?

    There is a capacitor across the battery. It provides the power to the
    CMOS table to retain settings. I wouldn't trust it much beyond 1 minute
    although I have worked on some hosts were settings were retained for 5
    minutes and one which let me go to close to 10 minutes. 1 minute should
    be far more time than you need to remove the old battery and slide in
    the new one. Just have the replacement battery ready (and handle it on
    its sides after washing your hands to keep the corroding (oxidizing)
    body oil/sweat off the battery).

    My guess is that it is a CR-2042 lithium wafter battery which are common
    at BestBuy, Walmart, Target, and other retail outlets. Check the manual
    for what battery is needed. If you can't find the manual (it might've
    come on a CD with the prebuilt host), go to the vendor's web site.

    So just how much did YOU actually customize the BIOS settings?
    VanguardLH, Mar 16, 2009
  7. Robert11

    olfart Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Robert11 wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> In my 70's now, so please bear with me.
    >>
    >> a. What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    >> possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?

    > Depends. Some use Del, F8, F1, or Esc. Unless it is a prebuilt host
    > where the vendor shoved a splash screen that obliterates the BIOS
    > prompt, it will tell you what key to hit to get into the BIOS setup
    > screens.
    >
    >> b. Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting
    >> weak.
    >> About 5 years old now, apparently.
    >>
    >> If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    >> Is this true ?
    >>
    >> All of them ? Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    >> Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?
    >>
    >> Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?

    > There is a capacitor across the battery. It provides the power to the
    > CMOS table to retain settings. I wouldn't trust it much beyond 1 minute
    > although I have worked on some hosts were settings were retained for 5
    > minutes and one which let me go to close to 10 minutes. 1 minute should
    > be far more time than you need to remove the old battery and slide in
    > the new one. Just have the replacement battery ready (and handle it on
    > its sides after washing your hands to keep the corroding (oxidizing)
    > body oil/sweat off the battery).
    >
    > My guess is that it is a CR-2042 lithium wafter battery which are common
    > at BestBuy, Walmart, Target, and other retail outlets. Check the manual
    > for what battery is needed. If you can't find the manual (it might've
    > come on a CD with the prebuilt host), go to the vendor's web site.
    >
    > So just how much did YOU actually customize the BIOS settings?

    make that a CR 2032
    olfart, Mar 16, 2009
  8. Robert11

    cizzo Guest

    Re: To Cizzo: Re: Battery Changing

    On Mar 16, 11:29 am, "Robert11" <> wrote:
    > Hi cizzo,
    >
    > I asked this question a few posts back (probably should have appended this
    > post to that one, but didn't)
    > One of the answerers suggested that it might be the battery.
    >
    > Here's my original question from the older post:
    >
    > Getting an error msg each time I turn on PC that is white text on the black
    > screen.
    >
    > Says it cannot find Drive 1, and references some SATA drive.
    >
    > Then, "Press F1 to continue, or F2 for Setup."
    >
    > If I press F1, everything from then on is totally normal.
    >
    > What's happening, please ?
    > Drive about to quit, or...?
    >
    > Thanks for help,
    > Bob
    >
    > "cizzo" <> wrote in message

    > On Mar 16, 6:12 am, "Robert11" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > In my 70's now, so please bear with me.

    > > a. What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    > > possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?

    > > b. Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting weak.
    > > About 5 years old now, apparently.

    > > If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    > > Is this true ?

    > > All of them ? Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    > > Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?

    > > Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Bob

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > In order to get into BIOS there should be a prompt on your screen
    > telling you which key to hit, if you can't see it try pressing all
    > these buttons several times right when you turn on your computer: F2,
    > F10, Delete key.  From there you can navigate around and see where the
    > boot options are, some BIOS menus have a tab for "Boot" where you can
    > assign boot priority to different devices.
    >
    > I would not be worried about your CMOS battery going dead, I have
    > never heard of that happening.
    > What leads you to believe it is going bad?- Hide quoted text -

    Robert,

    Try restoring your default BIOS settings by pressing F2 instead of F1
    at that error prompt (which will take you into the BIOS). There will
    be an option in the BIOS menu to "restore default settings".

    As posted by another poster, drive 1 usually is a reference to a
    secondary hard drive as your first hard drive is typically refered to
    as 0 (zero).

    And as noted by Vangaurd the CMOS battery is only used to retain BIOS
    settings.
    Now if the battery was dead I would be VERY suprised it would be
    giving you a drive configuration error, as it would be using default
    settings which should not be causing problems.

    Do you have a secondary hard drive or just one?
    cizzo, Mar 16, 2009
  9. Robert11

    FYI - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmosBatteryDead-c.html
    cizzo, Mar 16, 2009
  10. Robert11

    VanguardLH Guest

    olfart wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert11 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> In my 70's now, so please bear with me.
    >>>
    >>> a. What key do I press on startup to get to the BIOS screen to see (and
    >>> possibly change) the boot order that it goes thru on starting ?

    >> Depends. Some use Del, F8, F1, or Esc. Unless it is a prebuilt host
    >> where the vendor shoved a splash screen that obliterates the BIOS
    >> prompt, it will tell you what key to hit to get into the BIOS setup
    >> screens.
    >>
    >>> b. Per my older post, seems likely that the CMOS battery is getting
    >>> weak.
    >>> About 5 years old now, apparently.
    >>>
    >>> If I change it, I guess I have to re-do all the System Setup Screens.
    >>> Is this true ?
    >>>
    >>> All of them ? Seems like an awful lot of settings.
    >>> Do all of them have to be reconfigured / reset ?
    >>>
    >>> Any gotchas when putting in the new battery (Dell XPS, and running XP) ?

    >> There is a capacitor across the battery. It provides the power to the
    >> CMOS table to retain settings. I wouldn't trust it much beyond 1 minute
    >> although I have worked on some hosts were settings were retained for 5
    >> minutes and one which let me go to close to 10 minutes. 1 minute should
    >> be far more time than you need to remove the old battery and slide in
    >> the new one. Just have the replacement battery ready (and handle it on
    >> its sides after washing your hands to keep the corroding (oxidizing)
    >> body oil/sweat off the battery).
    >>
    >> My guess is that it is a CR-2042 lithium wafter battery which are common
    >> at BestBuy, Walmart, Target, and other retail outlets. Check the manual
    >> for what battery is needed. If you can't find the manual (it might've
    >> come on a CD with the prebuilt host), go to the vendor's web site.
    >>
    >> So just how much did YOU actually customize the BIOS settings?

    > make that a CR 2032

    Yep. Off by one key on the keyboard. Fingers getting stiffer with age.
    VanguardLH, Mar 16, 2009
  11. Robert11

    Buffalo Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    [snip]
    > Yep. Fingers getting stiffer with
    > age.

    Unlike another thing..

    PS: Couldn't resist. :)
    Buffalo, Mar 17, 2009
  12. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    To Cizzo From OP: Re: To Cizzo: Re: Battery Changing

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the help, and also to everyone.

    Yes, there is a second HD.

    Bob

    Robert11, Mar 17, 2009