Batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bert Hyman, Jun 20, 2007.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Ed) wrote in news::

    > Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear
    > out or should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?

    Depends entirely on how you use the camera and how conscientious you
    are about charging your batteries.

    A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    dead.

    On the other hand, if you use the camera a lot, and/or find yourself
    away from a source of new alkalines, rechargeables can be great, so
    long as you can recharge them and remember to.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jun 20, 2007

  2. Bert Hyman

    John Bean Guest

    On 20 Jun 2007 17:52:03 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    wrote:

    > (Ed) wrote in news::
    >
    >> Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear
    >> out or should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?

    >Depends entirely on how you use the camera and how conscientious you
    >are about charging your batteries.
    >
    >A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    >charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    >dead.

    Not if you you use hybrid NiMH batteries you won't.

    Hybrids like Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio last months,
    maybe years, without losing all their charge. They're even
    charged when you get them; you get the best of both worlds -
    use them like alkaline except they're rechargeable.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jun 20, 2007

  3. Bert Hyman

    Ed Guest

    I just got a new Canon Powershot S3IS.

    Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear out or
    should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?

    What kind of rechargeable batteries are good? I see a wide variety on Ebay
    and I'm not sure which ones to get.

    Thanks!
    Ed, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (John Bean) wrote in

    > On 20 Jun 2007 17:52:03 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    >>charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    >>dead.

    > Not if you you use hybrid NiMH batteries you won't.
    >
    > Hybrids like Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio last months,
    > maybe years, without losing all their charge. They're even
    > charged when you get them; you get the best of both worlds -
    > use them like alkaline except they're rechargeable.

    How do they behave otherwise? Are they available with the same
    AmpHour ratings as the ordinary sort? Can they be recharged in the
    charger I have now? Operating temperatures? Cost?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jun 20, 2007
  5. Bert Hyman

    Allen Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > (John Bean) wrote in
    >
    >> On 20 Jun 2007 17:52:03 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    >>> charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    >>> dead.

    >> Not if you you use hybrid NiMH batteries you won't.
    >>
    >> Hybrids like Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio last months,
    >> maybe years, without losing all their charge. They're even
    >> charged when you get them; you get the best of both worlds -
    >> use them like alkaline except they're rechargeable.

    > How do they behave otherwise? Are they available with the same
    > AmpHour ratings as the ordinary sort? Can they be recharged in the
    > charger I have now? Operating temperatures? Cost?

    In the US, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH are easier to find, and are little more
    than conventional NiMH. They are rated at 2100 milliamp hours, but in
    use last much longer than higher rated conventionals. I have seen Kodak
    batteries that seem to use the same technology, but I haven't tried them
    as my two sets of Ray-O-Vacs are more than sufficient for my needs. I
    use a cheap charger of the famous "MADE IN CHINA" brand that came with
    some other batteries and it has worked just fine with them.
    Allen
    Allen, Jun 20, 2007
  6. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Allen) wrote in

    > In the US, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH are easier to find, and are little
    > more than conventional NiMH.
    > I use a cheap charger of the famous "MADE IN CHINA" brand that
    > came with some other batteries and it has worked just fine with them.

    Hey! Me too!

    Thanks for the info; I'll have to find some of 'em.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jun 20, 2007
  7. Bert Hyman

    Luttrell Guest

    On Jun 20, 11:45 am, "Ed" <> wrote:
    > I just got a new Canon Powershot S3IS.
    >
    > Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear out or
    > should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?
    >
    > What kind of rechargeable batteries are good? I see a wide variety on Ebay
    > and I'm not sure which ones to get.
    >
    > Thanks!

    you want the Lithium Energizers. 2AA lithiums will seriously last you
    at least 1 month with moderate/heavy use.

    http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/

    Don't get rechargeable because they're not worth the cost and time.

    These lithiums are about $10/4pk at a store, probably cheaper online
    (mind the shipping) versus $12/4pk + the $10 charger. It makes no
    sense to me. I get irritated actually when I see people using those
    rechargeables over the lithiums. They think it's cheaper just to keep
    recharging them but they don't realize they don't last as long as the
    lithiums and they don't take into account that the rechargeables will
    have to be replaced after about 2-3 months depending on how much you
    charge them.
    Luttrell, Jun 20, 2007
  8. Bert Hyman

    Allen Guest

    Luttrell wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 11:45 am, "Ed" <> wrote:
    >> I just got a new Canon Powershot S3IS.
    >>
    >> Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear out or
    >> should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?
    >>
    >> What kind of rechargeable batteries are good? I see a wide variety on Ebay
    >> and I'm not sure which ones to get.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > you want the Lithium Energizers. 2AA lithiums will seriously last you
    > at least 1 month with moderate/heavy use.
    >
    > http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/
    >
    > Don't get rechargeable because they're not worth the cost and time.
    >
    > These lithiums are about $10/4pk at a store, probably cheaper online
    > (mind the shipping) versus $12/4pk + the $10 charger. It makes no
    > sense to me. I get irritated actually when I see people using those
    > rechargeables over the lithiums. They think it's cheaper just to keep
    > recharging them but they don't realize they don't last as long as the
    > lithiums and they don't take into account that the rechargeables will
    > have to be replaced after about 2-3 months depending on how much you
    > charge them.

    Is it your practice to throw rechargables away after one cycle? And, by
    the way, even your rather strange analysys shows that you would start
    saving money on the third recharge.
    Allen
    Allen, Jun 20, 2007
  9. Bert Hyman

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:45:25 -0500, Ed wrote:

    > I just got a new Canon Powershot S3IS.
    >
    > Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear out or
    > should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?

    IMHO - no. What works best for me seems to be the (non-rechargeable)
    Litium AA batteries.

    > What kind of rechargeable batteries are good? I see a wide variety on Ebay
    > and I'm not sure which ones to get.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Li-ion rechargeables are absolutely the best, but I don't know if they are
    available in AA format. Of the NiMH batteries, the rayovac 'hybrid' and
    samsung?? enerloop claim to have solved the 'shelf life' problem. I know
    other NiMH batteries loose their charge quite rapidly while just sitting -
    these are not supposed to.
    ray, Jun 20, 2007
  10. Bert Hyman

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:57:33 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > (John Bean) wrote in
    >
    >> On 20 Jun 2007 17:52:03 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    >>>charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    >>>dead.

    >> Not if you you use hybrid NiMH batteries you won't.
    >>
    >> Hybrids like Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio last months,
    >> maybe years, without losing all their charge. They're even
    >> charged when you get them; you get the best of both worlds -
    >> use them like alkaline except they're rechargeable.

    > How do they behave otherwise? Are they available with the same
    > AmpHour ratings as the ordinary sort? Can they be recharged in the
    > charger I have now? Operating temperatures? Cost?

    1) they are designed to not loose charge when sitting idle.
    2) no
    3) yes
    4) similar
    5) more
    ray, Jun 20, 2007
  11. Bert Hyman

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:32:05 -0000, Luttrell wrote:

    > you want the Lithium Energizers. 2AA lithiums will seriously last you
    > at least 1 month with moderate/heavy use.

    The lithium batteries are a good choice for light use, but if you
    need to replace them every month, that'll get costly very fast,
    which is ok if you don't mind paying $60/year for batteries.

    > Don't get rechargeable because they're not worth the cost and time.
    >
    > These lithiums are about $10/4pk at a store, probably cheaper online
    > (mind the shipping) versus $12/4pk + the $10 charger. It makes no
    > sense to me. I get irritated actually when I see people using those
    > rechargeables over the lithiums. They think it's cheaper just to keep
    > recharging them but they don't realize they don't last as long as the
    > lithiums and they don't take into account that the rechargeables will
    > have to be replaced after about 2-3 months depending on how much you
    > charge them.

    That's total nonsense. If you have to replace your rechargeables
    every 2-3 months you're damaging them, either through misuse, or
    your camera/device is not designed to properly use rechargeables.
    Treated right, NiMH batteries should be good for many hundreds of
    charges. Most manufacturers claim up to 1000 charge cycles. The
    NiMH batteries I've been using are several years old and still going
    strong. If the both you and the manufacturers are correct, by the
    time the batteries died after 2 months, you'd have fully charged
    them more than 15 times per day. I don't think so, even if you used
    a 15 minute charger. <g>
    ASAAR, Jun 20, 2007
  12. Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    > (Ed) wrote in news::
    >
    >> Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear
    >> out or should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?

    > Depends entirely on how you use the camera and how conscientious you
    > are about charging your batteries.
    >
    > A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    > charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    > dead.

    The latest ultra-low self-discharge batteries like the Rayovac Hybrid
    (2100mAh) and Sanyo Eneloop (2000mAh) will not lose their charge to the same
    degree traditional NiMH rechargable batteries do. Rayovac claims 80% charge
    after one year and Sanyo claims 85% charge after one year.

    > On the other hand, if you use the camera a lot, and/or find yourself
    > away from a source of new alkalines, rechargeables can be great, so
    > long as you can recharge them and remember to.

    Alkalines are way too expensive for digital cameras due to the poor
    performance of alkaline batteries under high load. If you want disposable
    batteries, consider the 1.5V AA Lithium Cells that sell for about $10 for
    four.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 20, 2007
  13. Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    > (Allen) wrote in
    >
    >> In the US, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH are easier to find, and are little
    >> more than conventional NiMH.
    >> I use a cheap charger of the famous "MADE IN CHINA" brand that
    >> came with some other batteries and it has worked just fine with them.
    >>

    > Hey! Me too!
    >
    > Thanks for the info; I'll have to find some of 'em.

    Walmart has 4 AA Rayovac Hybrids for $8.99. You can get the Sanyo Eneloop for
    $12.99 [I think] at Circuit City] or $19.99 for eight if you get them from
    Amazon. The Sanyo's supposedly hold their charge for a bit longer than the
    Rayovac's, but I am not so sure about that as of yet [practical testing takes
    a long time with these types of batteries].

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 20, 2007
  14. Luttrell <> wrote:
    > Don't get rechargeable because they're not worth the cost and time.
    >
    > These lithiums are about $10/4pk at a store, probably cheaper online
    > (mind the shipping) versus $12/4pk + the $10 charger. It makes no
    > sense to me. I get irritated actually when I see people using those
    > rechargeables over the lithiums. They think it's cheaper just to keep
    > recharging them but they don't realize they don't last as long as the
    > lithiums and they don't take into account that the rechargeables will
    > have to be replaced after about 2-3 months depending on how much you
    > charge them.

    Uhm .. bullshit ;-)

    For one, since you recharge the NiMH batteries, the cost per use goes way
    down. With the Lithiums, you only get one use; period. Second, the capacity
    of NiMH batteries is similar to the Lithium batteries when fully charged [the
    ultra low self discharge batteries may be a little lower], but you just keep a
    second pair ready. Also, unless you damage the batteries by overcharging them
    [cheap charger or too many rapid charges with a cheap charger], you will get
    HUNDREDS of charges before the batteries need to be replaced. I have some
    2500mAh Sanyo AAA batteries that I have had for about one and a half years and
    they just came out rated at just shy of 2500mAh (ranging from 2430 to 2490).
    I tested them using the break-in charge on the Maha MH-C9000!

    In short, buy a decent slow charger [the one that comes with the Rayovac
    Hybrids or Sanyo Eneloops is supposedly good] like the Maha MH-401FS and a
    couple of sets of batteries and you will be set for a few years. I have found
    that the Sanyo Eneloop batteries more consistantly approach their labeled
    capacity, but the Rayovac Hybrids are very good batteries as well ... and
    cheaper.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 20, 2007
  15. ray <> wrote:

    > Li-ion rechargeables are absolutely the best, but I don't know if they are
    > available in AA format. Of the NiMH batteries, the rayovac 'hybrid' and
    > samsung?? enerloop claim to have solved the 'shelf life' problem. I know
    > other NiMH batteries loose their charge quite rapidly while just sitting -
    > these are not supposed to.

    Each LiIon cell is 3.6V thus can't be used for AA format batteries.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 20, 2007
  16. Bert Hyman

    John Bean Guest

    On 20 Jun 2007 18:57:33 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    wrote:

    > (John Bean) wrote in
    >
    >> On 20 Jun 2007 17:52:03 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>A set of alkalines can sit around for months without losing much
    >>>charge, but do the same with NiMH batteries and you'll find them
    >>>dead.

    >> Not if you you use hybrid NiMH batteries you won't.
    >>
    >> Hybrids like Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio last months,
    >> maybe years, without losing all their charge. They're even
    >> charged when you get them; you get the best of both worlds -
    >> use them like alkaline except they're rechargeable.

    >How do they behave otherwise? Are they available with the same
    >AmpHour ratings as the ordinary sort? Can they be recharged in the
    >charger I have now? Operating temperatures? Cost?

    The Hybrios I use are very good. They're rated 2100mAH but
    outperform the Sanyo 2500mAH standard batteries by a lot, so
    I guess the ratings are more honest than most. They are of
    course still NiMH chemistry so other than their lack of
    self-discharge they behave much like any other NiMH battery.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jun 20, 2007
  17. Bert Hyman

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:16:14 -0500, Allen
    <> wrote:

    >Bert Hyman wrote:
    >> (John Bean) wrote in

    >>> Not if you you use hybrid NiMH batteries you won't.
    >>>
    >>> Hybrids like Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio last months,
    >>> maybe years, without losing all their charge. They're even
    >>> charged when you get them; you get the best of both worlds -
    >>> use them like alkaline except they're rechargeable.

    >> How do they behave otherwise? Are they available with the same
    >> AmpHour ratings as the ordinary sort? Can they be recharged in the
    >> charger I have now? Operating temperatures? Cost?
    >>

    >In the US, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH are easier to find

    I've been told (unconfirmed) that the Ray-O-Vac hybrids sold
    in the US are the same batteries sold as Uniross Hybrio in
    the UK. If so they're good, cheap, and come highly
    recommended by me :)

    I use a Maha MH-C401FS charger with mine, I have zero
    complaints with either batteries or charger.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jun 20, 2007
  18. John Bean <> wrote:

    >>In the US, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH are easier to find

    > I've been told (unconfirmed) that the Ray-O-Vac hybrids sold
    > in the US are the same batteries sold as Uniross Hybrio in
    > the UK. If so they're good, cheap, and come highly
    > recommended by me :)

    Yes, they are from the same Chinese manufacturer; Spectrum Brands. Having
    said that, the Sanyo Eneloop are made in Japan. Read into that what you want.

    > I use a Maha MH-C401FS charger with mine, I have zero
    > complaints with either batteries or charger.

    I have had the MH-C401FS over charge some batteries because it didn't pick up
    the voltage delta or temperature delta that it should have. Anyway, it does
    well for the vast majority of my batteries. I prefer the MH-C9000 most of the
    time anyway, but that is a rather expensive charger for freeks like me.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 20, 2007
  19. Bert Hyman

    Pete D Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    > Bert Hyman <> wrote:
    >> (Allen) wrote in
    >>
    >>> In the US, Ray-O-Vac Hybrid NiMH are easier to find, and are little
    >>> more than conventional NiMH.
    >>> I use a cheap charger of the famous "MADE IN CHINA" brand that
    >>> came with some other batteries and it has worked just fine with them.
    >>>

    >> Hey! Me too!
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info; I'll have to find some of 'em.
    >>

    > Walmart has 4 AA Rayovac Hybrids for $8.99. You can get the Sanyo Eneloop
    > for
    > $12.99 [I think] at Circuit City] or $19.99 for eight if you get them from
    > Amazon. The Sanyo's supposedly hold their charge for a bit longer than
    > the
    > Rayovac's, but I am not so sure about that as of yet [practical testing
    > takes
    > a long time with these types of batteries].
    >
    > --
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse
    >
    > Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.

    I have the Eneloops and they are really excellent. I still use the old NiMhs
    (I have about 10 sets) but only for those times when I will flatten the
    batteries in a day or two.

    Cheers.

    Pete
    Pete D, Jun 20, 2007
  20. Bert Hyman

    Garry Knight Guest

    Ed wrote:

    > I just got a new Canon Powershot S3IS.
    >
    > Am I better off buying new alkaline batteries every time they wear out or
    > should I get a set (or two) or rechargeable batteries?

    There's a thread on the S3Users forum where S3 owners go into this topic in
    great detail. You might also be interested in joining the forum.

    http://www.s3users.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51

    I use Sanyo Eneloops and I recommend them.

    --
    Garry Knight
    Garry Knight, Jun 20, 2007