    wonder how long the batteries will last?
    any thoughts>?
    cathy

    chatty cathy, Apr 23, 2008

  2. chatty cathy

    Alex Monro Guest

    chatty cathy wrote:

    > My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only
    > rechargable batteries..
    > Is this good or bad?

    Personally, I think AA batteries are good. They give you the choice of
    several different types of battery chemistry in the AA format (alkaline
    disposable, NiMH rechargeable in standard and low self discharge forms,
    lithium disposable). If you run flat alkaline AAs are readily availible
    throughout the world.

    Some people prefer proprietary Li-ion batteries, which can be smaller
    and lighter, but spares are more expensive. Also, they have a fixed
    life of about 2 years from manufacture, and replacements may be
    difficult to find if the camera has been discontinued. NiMH last for
    about 500 charge cycles when used with care (not charged too fast,
    recharged promptly when they go flat).

    > never had a digital before.
    > wonder how long the batteries will last?

    Depends what type you use. Ordinary alkalines, probably not that long.
    High capacity NiMH or lithiums, quite a while.

    > any thoughts>?

    Your best bet would probably be to get a pack of 4 low self discharge
    NiMH (Eneloop / Hybrio type) and a slow charger (4 hour) - the fast
    chargers tend to cook the batteries and they don't last so long. Carry
    the 2 spares in a way so they don't short out, and they'll be ready for
    a quick change when you need them.

    If you take LOTS of pictures in a day, you might be better with high
    capacity (2700mAh or more) NiMH, but they do tend to go flat if left
    for a few months. The low self discharge types will hold charge for
    a year or more.

    If you're shooting in very cold conditions, it might be worth using the
    more expensive lithium disposables.

    HTH.
    --
    Alex Monro
    Exeter, UK

    Alex Monro, Apr 23, 2008

  3. chatty cathy

    Marvin Guest

    chatty cathy wrote:
    > My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only
    > rechargable batteries..
    > Is this good or bad?
    > never had a digital before.
    > wonder how long the batteries will last?
    > any thoughts>?
    > cathy

    You'll need more batteries anyway, if only so you don't have
    to stop taking photos when your one set needs recharging. I
    recommend NiMH batteries. Several battery makers offer
    packages that include a charger and usually four batteries.

    Marvin, Apr 23, 2008
  4. (chatty cathy) wrote:
    >My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only
    >rechargable batteries..
    > Is this good or bad?

    Yes. :)

    Serioulsy: It depend, what you are looking for. Each, batteries,
    rechargable batteries in standard sizes, and custom rechargables have
    their respective advantages and disadvantages.
    And people are very zealous to defend their personal preference as the
    only right way to wisdom.

    AA are larger and heavier, they carry less charge, and as disposables
    generate more trash. They are less convenient to handle because you need
    several of them and if they are rechargables then they must be kept as
    set, i.e. you should never mix rechargables of different age or charge
    level.
    However they can be bought absolutely anywhere and carrying a spare set
    is very inexpensive and you have a choice as to which chemical type of
    batterie you are using.

    Custom rechargables are more compact and lighter, carry significantly
    more charge, and are easier to handle.
    However they can only be bought in speciality stores, are much more
    expensive, and when the manufacturer stops producing them you may not be
    able to get a replacement down the road.

    > wonder how long the batteries will last?

    That depends on your camera and usage pattern. I've head numbers from as
    low as 30-50 photos all the way up to 1000+.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 23, 2008
  5. chatty cathy

    measekite Guest

    Alex Monro wrote:

    chatty cathy wrote:

    My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only rechargable batteries.. Is this good or bad?

    Personally, I think AA batteries are good. They give you the choice of several different types of battery chemistry in the AA format (alkaline disposable, NiMH rechargeable in standard and low self discharge forms, lithium disposable). If you run flat alkaline AAs are readily availible throughout the world. Some people prefer proprietary Li-ion batteries, which can be smaller and lighter, but spares are more expensive. Also, they have a fixed life of about 2 years from manufacture, and replacements may be difficult to find if the camera has been discontinued. NiMH last for about 500 charge cycles when used with care (not charged too fast, recharged promptly when they go flat).

    never had a digital before. wonder how long the batteries will last?

    Depends what type you use. Ordinary alkalines, probably not that long. High capacity NiMH or lithiums, quite a while.

    any thoughts>?

    Your best bet would probably be to get a pack of 4 low self discharge NiMH (Eneloop / Hybrio type) and a slow charger (4 hour) - the fast chargers tend to cook the batteries and they don't last so long.

    I have read stuff like that before.  But I still like the convenience of the 15 minute charge.  I use Duracell.  So far I have not had trouble but that does not mean what you said is not correct.  Even if they do not last as long but if the life is reasonable then the trade off for the quick charge is worth it to me.  I carry two spare sets (4 to a set) with my Canon S5.

    One thing I did notice is that the unused charge batteries will loose about 60 to 70% of its capacity over a 6 to 8 week period.  I put a date sticker on the case I store my batteries in.  After 4 weeks of storage I just recharge them.

    measekite, Apr 23, 2008
  6. ? "chatty cathy" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only
    > rechargable batteries..
    > Is this good or bad?
    > never had a digital before.
    > wonder how long the batteries will last?
    > any thoughts>?
    > cathy

    Nope. My Nytech camera (www.nytech.de) uses proprietary li ion batteries,
    and I have 2-one in the camera, one spare. But I use AA rechargeables
    (common NiMH) on many other things, like a Maglite or my niece's babyphone
    or a small radio I have at work... They usually last for months. Low
    self-discharge ones like Eneloop are even better, people here say they last
    for a year....

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 23, 2008
  7. chatty cathy

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:12:21 -0700, chatty cathy wrote:

    > My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only
    > rechargable batteries..
    > Is this good or bad?
    > never had a digital before.
    > wonder how long the batteries will last?
    > any thoughts>?
    > cathy

    Try it and see. We've given up on rechargeables in my wife's old nikon
    2100 - now use lithium AAs. They last for a LONG time and don't loose
    anything while sitting unused in the camera.

    ray, Apr 23, 2008
  8. chatty cathy

    Marvin Guest

    measekite wrote:
    <snip>
    > One thing I did notice is that the unused charge batteries will loose
    > about 60 to 70% of its capacity over a 6 to 8 week period. I put a date
    > sticker on the case I store my batteries in. After 4 weeks of storage I
    > just recharge them.
    >> Carry
    >> the 2 spares in a way so they don't short out, and they'll be ready for
    >> a quick change when you need them.
    >>
    >> If you take LOTS of pictures in a day, you might be better with high
    >> capacity (2700mAh or more) NiMH, but they do tend to go flat if left
    >> for a few months. The low self discharge types will hold charge for
    >> a year or more.

    I got a some of the new kind from thomasdistributing.com.
    They also have battery and charger deals. And they send a
    free carrying case for the spares.

    Marvin, Apr 24, 2008
  9. chatty cathy

    Clark Martin Guest

    In article <48137b73$0$5709$>,
    "Yoshi" <> wrote:

    > "Robert Haar" <> wrote in message
    > > On 4/23/08 2:12 AMApr 23, "chatty cathy" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> My sanyo camera takes 2 AA batteries..there is no charger for it..only
    > >> rechargable batteries..
    > >> Is this good or bad?

    > > Yes! - depending on your usage and priorities. AA batteries are easily
    > > replaceable and widely available. But they don't hold as much power as
    > > some
    > > of the specialized ((read expensive) battery packs.
    > >
    > >> never had a digital before.
    > >> wonder how long the batteries will last?
    > >> any thoughts>?

    > > Depends on various factors such whether you sue a flash or not. The best
    > > thing to do is to use it for a while and see what battery life you get.
    > >

    > What would you accomplish by "sueing" a flash?

    The real question is what would happen if you both proofread AND
    spellchecked your posts?

    :)

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin, Apr 27, 2008
  10. chatty cathy

    Francis Guest

    The answer depends on several issues. Do you use your camera dayly or
    weekly? If yes, use rechargeables. If no, use batteries whith spares on
    the shelve. Otherwise you want to make a picture of somebody who just
    showed in. Not possible, battery emty! No time and no plug available to
    reload.

    Francis

    Francis, Apr 27, 2008