Batteries Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    I realize that this isn't a PC rel;ated question, but I figured if there's
    one group that has folks that would know the answer, it would be here. So,
    please bear with me a bit.

    a. Concerning AC 110 V plug-in wall rechargers for the rechargeable NiCad
    and NiMHydride AA and AAA size batteries, I see they have fast-charge and
    slow-charge models and options available.

    What are the major differences between each, and the pros and cons for
    either type of charging ?

    b. What's the state of the art these days for rechargeable batteries in
    these sizes:

    Is it still NiCad, or has everyone gone to NiMHydride's ?

    I see that there is also a Hybrid NiMHydride out now ?

    Could someone please summarize the differences for each ?

    The application would be for a handheld scanner radio.

    Much thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:34 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I realize that this isn't a PC rel;ated question, but I figured if there's

    What's that to do with anything?

    >one group that has folks that would know the answer, it would be here. So,
    >please bear with me a bit.
    >
    >a. Concerning AC 110 V plug-in wall rechargers for the rechargeable NiCad
    >and NiMHydride AA and AAA size batteries, I see they have fast-charge and
    >slow-charge models and options available.

    IIRC without looking up anything from manuals, www.google.com nickel
    based will take a fast charge.

    >What are the major differences between each, and the pros and cons for
    >either type of charging ?

    Overnight or a few hours to charge. If you do some reading you will see
    issues surrounding capacity of charge / time to charge / heating during
    charge.

    Slow charging usually involved less heat and reaches closer to 100%
    capacity, fast charging doesn't.

    >b. What's the state of the art these days for rechargeable batteries in
    >these sizes:
    >
    >Is it still NiCad, or has everyone gone to NiMHydride's ?

    Those aren't sizes, but technology differences. Whatever the application
    needs.

    >I see that there is also a Hybrid NiMHydride out now ?
    >
    >Could someone please summarize the differences for each ?

    Oh rats, it's your turn , read (saves having to find / copy & paste),
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm

    This was found as fast as it takes to type "Hybrid NiMH" and click on
    search in my browser, less than 2 seconds.
    http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybrid_faq.shtml

    >The application would be for a handheld scanner radio.

    Why bother with the rest of the long winded fairly pointless question.
    go with what the manual says.

    More likely you should be looking at the capacity in mAh, 2400mAh NIMH
    (had to look up a catalogue) will do fast 1hr charge or 1300mAh in
    40min.

    Hybrid NiMHydride for a scanner?

    Hi drain types are generally for cameras, but suppliers say thiers are
    for any application. Rayovac say 500 charges, while other types you
    mention earlier are 1000 cycles.

    >Much thanks,
    >Bob

    Me
    why?, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Robert11

    nobody > Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:34 -0400, Robert11 wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I realize that this isn't a PC rel;ated question, but I figured if there's

    > What's that to do with anything?
    >
    >> one group that has folks that would know the answer, it would be here. So,
    >> please bear with me a bit.
    >>
    >> a. Concerning AC 110 V plug-in wall rechargers for the rechargeable NiCad
    >> and NiMHydride AA and AAA size batteries, I see they have fast-charge and
    >> slow-charge models and options available.

    > IIRC without looking up anything from manuals, www.google.com nickel
    > based will take a fast charge.
    >
    >> What are the major differences between each, and the pros and cons for
    >> either type of charging ?

    > Overnight or a few hours to charge. If you do some reading you will see
    > issues surrounding capacity of charge / time to charge / heating during
    > charge.
    >
    > Slow charging usually involved less heat and reaches closer to 100%
    > capacity, fast charging doesn't.
    >

    >> b. What's the state of the art these days for rechargeable batteries in
    >> these sizes:
    >>
    >> Is it still NiCad, or has everyone gone to NiMHydride's ?

    > Those aren't sizes, but technology differences. Whatever the application
    > needs.
    >
    >> I see that there is also a Hybrid NiMHydride out now ?
    >>
    >> Could someone please summarize the differences for each ?

    > Oh rats, it's your turn , read (saves having to find / copy & paste),
    > http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm
    >
    > This was found as fast as it takes to type "Hybrid NiMH" and click on
    > search in my browser, less than 2 seconds.
    > http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybrid_faq.shtml
    >
    >> The application would be for a handheld scanner radio.

    > Why bother with the rest of the long winded fairly pointless question.
    > go with what the manual says.
    >
    > More likely you should be looking at the capacity in mAh, 2400mAh NIMH
    > (had to look up a catalogue) will do fast 1hr charge or 1300mAh in
    > 40min.
    >
    > Hybrid NiMHydride for a scanner?
    >
    > Hi drain types are generally for cameras, but suppliers say thiers are
    > for any application. Rayovac say 500 charges, while other types you
    > mention earlier are 1000 cycles.
    >

    >> Much thanks,
    >> Bob
    >>

    > Me

    NMH batts also have a faster 'self-discharge' rate, enough so that you'd
    notice it from a NiCd battery.

    Saving grace is that NMH batteries tolerate partial charges better, so
    topping off just before use doesn't rob you of as many charge cycles.
    nobody >, Nov 3, 2007